• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Accuracy of the Bible

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Horrible, barbaric, primitive, vengeful, genocidal, murderous ethics. With an occasional sprinkling of moral enlightenment.

Most who read the Bible with predisposed hatreds come to that conclusion. One who is hateful and wishes to see hatred in that which is not hateful will see it there. The mind is a powerful thing.

Smoke

Done here.
By faith I believe the Bible is the inspired, infallable, inerrant word of God.
I'm not sure anymore who the Orthodox priest was who said, "The Bible is at best words about God." In historic Christianity, it is Jesus Christ who is the Word of God. A belief that the Bible is inspired, infallible, and inerrant verges on idolatry, and it's not for nothing that Orthodox Christians who are less than tactful sometimes refer to Protestants as Book Worshippers.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Again, accuracy with regard to what? Historical accuracy is relatively unimportant -- as we understand it today, since the writers were not largely writing history text books or news articles. What history was written was of a completely different literary nature, compatible with other historical writings of the time. In that sense, the compatibility counts for more than the factual accuracy in the exegetical process.
Interesting points sojourner. one thing is certain, many modern newspapers lack the literary appeal the Bible presents on many of its passages, and their accuracy? well it aspires to a minimum.
Looking for absolute historical accuracy in a text which contains allegory, ideology, poetry, moral codes, and inspirational texts belongs to certain hermenautical approaches. but the Bible is much more interesting than that, the human hand behind its pages is a fountain of study and research.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The OT contains the Pre Christian concept of God.
The new Testament Contains a Christian View of God as revealed by Jesus.

The old Testament Gives context to the new testament, But In my view, should be understood as having little relevance to Jesus teachings, or Christianity.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist

The old Testament Gives context to the new testament, But In my view, should be understood as having little relevance to Jesus teachings, or Christianity.
Thats interesting, since Jesus is quoted in the New Testament as saying the following:

Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

rojse

RF Addict
Most who read the Bible with predisposed hatreds come to that conclusion. One who is hateful and wishes to see hatred in that which is not hateful will see it there. The mind is a powerful thing.

And you see nothing to support the view that the OT does contain a lot of hatred? God commanding armies to sack cities, kill the inhabitants, and keep the women for themselves? God creating a worldwide flood to drown the sinful? The entirety of Leviticus, for example?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

That's funny. I was raised to love the Tanakh and did--until I read it.

You don't find a problem with this sort of commandment:

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

I'd say if you don't find that hateful, the mind is a powerful thing.

rusra02

Premium Member
Yes, it matters a great deal that the Bible is accurate, since it is God's message to us humans.
Jesus Christ believed in the accuracy of the Bible. In prayer to God, he acknowledged "Your word is truth". (John 17:17) The Bible says about itself "All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight,..that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16,17). Although written over a period of 1600 years by more than 40 different writers, the Bible is consistent and harmonious. Jesus spoke of the Flood, Adam the first man, and other events recorded in the scriptures as historical fact. The people, places, and events mentioned in the Bible existed and some still exist. Time and again, critics have had to backpedal as many biblical accounts scoffed at by these critics have been proven accurate history.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Yes, it matters a great deal that the Bible is accurate, since it is God's message to us humans.
Jesus Christ believed in the accuracy of the Bible. In prayer to God, he acknowledged "Your word is truth". (John 17:17) The Bible says about itself "All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight,..that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16,17). Although written over a period of 1600 years by more than 40 different writers, the Bible is consistent and harmonious. Jesus spoke of the Flood, Adam the first man, and other events recorded in the scriptures as historical fact. The people, places, and events mentioned in the Bible existed and some still exist. Time and again, critics have had to backpedal as many biblical accounts scoffed at by these critics have been proven accurate history.
it is posts like this that make me wish we had a "climbing into boat" smiley.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Jesus Christ believed in the accuracy of the Bible.

In his time, there was no "The Bible" for him to believe in.

In prayer to God, he acknowledged "Your word is truth". (John 17:17)

In his time, there was no "The Bible" for him to equate to God's Word.

The Bible says about itself "All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight,..that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16,17).

There was no "The Bible" in Timothy's time either.

Although written over a period of 1600 years by more than 40 different writers, the Bible is consistent and harmonious.

Only with a concerted effort to see it as such by the reader.

Jesus spoke of the Flood, Adam the first man, and other events recorded in the scriptures as historical fact

Yes, his view of Jewish history was the same as that of all the Jewish people of his time and place. He was Jewish. Mystery solved.

. The people, places, and events mentioned in the Bible existed and some still exist.

The people(s), places, and events mentioned in Gone With The Wind existed and some still exist. Doesn't mean Scarlett O'Hara or Rhet Butler were real people.

Time and again, critics have had to backpedal as many biblical accounts scoffed at by these critics have been proven accurate history.

How about a cpl examples?

In the meantime, here's one for you; it's well accepted now, due to archeological discoveries in the last century, that Troy existed. No one's claiming this proves the existence of Zeus, Athena, Appolo, existed, or that the IIlyad is meant to be read as history.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Jesus Christ believed in the accuracy of the Bible. In prayer to God, he acknowledged "Your word is truth". (John 17:17)
He prays for their consecration by the power of the word in their hearts. - The People's New Testament (1891) by B. W. Johnson

The Bible says about itself "All scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight,..that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work" (2 Timothy 3:16,17).
But Paul never said it is accurate, and he was talking about the old testament(the LXX/Septuagint ) which included the deutro-canonicals

Although written over a period of 1600 years by more than 40 different writers, the Bible is consistent and harmonious.
Satan [an adversary] stood up against Israel and stirred up David to number Israel.
(1Ch 21:1 AMP)
Again the anger of the Lord was kindled against Israel, and He moved David against them, saying, Go, number Israel and Judah.
(2Sa 24:1 AMP)
The book of the ancestry (genealogy) of Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed), the son (descendant) of David, the son (descendant) of Abraham. [Psalms 132:11; Isaiah 11:1] Abraham was the father of Isaac, Isaac the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Judah and his brothers, Judah the father of Perez and Zerah, whose mother was Tamar, Perez the father of Hezron, Hezron the father of Aram, Aram the father of Aminadab, Aminadab the father of Nahshon, Nahshon the father of Salmon, Salmon the father of Boaz, whose mother was Rahab, Boaz the father of Obed, whose mother was Ruth, Obed the father of Jesse, Jesse the father of King David, King David the father of Solomon, whose mother had been the wife of Uriah, [Ruth 4:18-22; 1 Chronicles 2:13-15] Solomon the father of Rehoboam, Rehoboam the father of Abijah, Abijah the father of Asa, Asa the father of Jehoshaphat, Jehoshaphat the father of Joram [Jehoram], Joram the father of Uzziah, Uzziah the father of Jotham, Jotham the father of Ahaz, Ahaz the father of Hezekiah, Hezekiah the father of Manasseh, Manasseh the father of Amon, Amon the father of Josiah, And Josiah became the father of Jeconiah [also called Coniah and Jehoiachin] and his brothers about the time of the removal (deportation) to Babylon. [2 Kings 24:14; 1 Chronicles 3:15-16] After the exile to Babylon, Jeconiah became the father of Shealtiel [Salathiel], Shealtiel the father of Zerubbabel, Zerubbabel the father of Abiud, Abiud the father of Eliakim, Eliakim the father of Azor, Azor the father of Sadoc, Sadoc the father of Achim, Achim the father of Eliud, Eliud the father of Eleazar, Eleazar the father of Matthan, Matthan the father of Jacob, Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, Who is called the Christ. (the Messiah, the Anointed) So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen, from David to the Babylonian exile (deportation) fourteen generations, from the Babylonian exile to the Christ fourteen generations.
(Mat 1:1-17 AMP)
Jesus Himself, when He began [His ministry], was about thirty years of age, being the Son, as was supposed, of Joseph, the son of Heli, The son of Matthat, the son of Levi, the son of Melchi, the son of Jannai, the son of Joseph, The son of Mattathias, the son of Amos, the son of Nahum, the son of Esli, the son of Naggai, The son of Maath, the son of Mattathias, the son of Semein, the son of Josech, the son of Joda, The son of Joanan, the son of Rhesa, the son of Zerubbabel, the son of Shealtiel, the son of Neri, The son of Melchi, the son of Addi, the son of Cosam, the son of Elmadam, the son of Er, The son of Jesus, the son of Eliezer, the son of Jorim, the son of Matthat, the son of Levi, The son of Simeon, the son of Judah, the son of Joseph, the son of Jonam, the son of Eliakim, The son of Melea, the son of Menna, the son of Mattatha, the son of Nathan, the son of David, The son of Jesse, the son of Obed, the son of Boaz, the son of Salmon (Sala), the son of Nahshon, The son of Aminadab, the son of Admin, the son of Arni, the son of Hezron, the son of Perez, the son of Judah, The son of Jacob, the son of Isaac, the son of Abraham, the son of Terah, the son of Nahor, The son of Serug, the son of Reu, the son of Peleg, the son of Eber, the son of Shelah, The son of Cainan, the son of Arphaxad, the son of Shem, the son of Noah, the son of Lamech, The son of Methuselah, the son of Enoch, the son of Jared, the son of Mahalaleel, the son of Cainan, The son of Enos, the son of Seth, the son of Adam, the son of God. [Genesis 5:3-32; Genesis 11:10-26; Ruth 4:18-22; 1 Chronicles 1:1-4, 24-28; 1 Chronicles 2:1-15]
(Luk 3:23-38 AMP)
Doesn't sound very harmonious to me.

Jesus spoke of the Flood,
Yet no evidence

Adam the first man
Yet no evidence

and other events recorded in the scriptures as historical fact. The people, places, and events mentioned in the Bible existed and some still exist. Time and again, critics have had to backpedal as many biblical accounts scoffed at by these critics have been proven accurate history.
please provide facts

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Its accuracy should be important to those that follow it. Why? Because a vast majority that follow it seem to condemn others that do not follow the little rules within it to their own specifications.

Personally, I think the bible is comprised of very biased opinions by those that have passed down the tales, put those tales in writing, and translated those tales into various languages over the years. I will stick to the Pyramid Texts myself. They are written in stone. That is a debate for another thread though.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

Such statements undermine Christianity more than you know. Christianity is a religion that needs to co-operate with the teachings of the Tanakh. If it doesn't, it is automatically incorrect. Trying to separate itself from that which gives it sustenance is suicide for Christianity. Yet so many unlearned Christians attempt this.

How humorous.

And you see nothing to support the view that the OT does contain a lot of hatred? God commanding armies to sack cities, kill the inhabitants, and keep the women for themselves? God creating a worldwide flood to drown the sinful? The entirety of Leviticus, for example?

I see how some might come to that conclusion with an incomplete knowledge of Jewish law.

That's funny. I was raised to love the Tanakh and did--until I read it.
You cannot be raised to love Tanakh without having been taught what the Tanakh says. Any love you'd had before reading it was superficial.

You don't find a problem with this sort of commandment:

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

I'd say if you don't find that hateful, the mind is a powerful thing.

What exactly is hateful about that verse?

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
The order to kill an entire group of people based on the fact that they are of a different religion, or have different beliefs to you, is not hateful?

Is that why God ordered that they be killed? Verse 17 of Numbers 31 follows verse 2 which says:

Numbers 2 said:
Take revenge for the children of Israel against the Midianites; afterwards you will be gathered to your people.

Revenge for what exactly? If you read the entire Parsha (Chapters 25-30) of Pinchas, you'll see that the revenge was for a plague that had harmed the people of Israel. The plague was brought on by the Midianites and their leading the Israelites astray.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Is that why God ordered that they be killed? Verse 17 of Numbers 31 follows verse 2 which says:

Revenge for what exactly? If you read the entire Parsha (Chapters 25-30) of Pinchas, you'll see that the revenge was for a plague that had harmed the people of Israel. The plague was brought on by the Midianites and their leading the Israelites astray.

Do you believe this to be true? or was it the Jews putting the Blame on the Midianites for their own actions and folly.

Do you think this has a relevance to the teachings of Jesus?
It is an object lesson in how the Jewish concept o God is not a Christian one.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrywoodenpic

Thats interesting, since Jesus is quoted in the New Testament as saying the following:

Quote:
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus Did fulfill the Jewish Law.
However his subsequent teachings Showed a new Merciful face of God.

The above passage seems more the work of a Jewish apologist than the actual words of Jesus. (Spin doctors were around in even those days.)

Last edited:

pippa_wonders

That is simply not so. The pages of the OT, especially, are filled with 'Horrible, barbaric, primitive, vengeful, genocidal, murderous ethics' whatever one's predisposition is. It's hard to find a few pages free from hateful rantings of God towards his people. I had to stop reading it in the end.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

Really, such as what?

For example, what do ancient historians say about the sojourn of the Jews in Egypt?
What about the Israelite conquest of Canaan?
Tower of Babel?
Noah's flood?
Destruction of Tyre?
What about the census during the reign of Herod?