• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACTION ALERT: "defend our shared values" from a "shameful display of sexual immorality"

Skwim

Veteran Member

"In less than one week, the University of Wisconsin System Fox Valley will be hosting a “drag show” at the Communication Arts Center theater in Menasha. The “main attraction” is the guest appearance of self-proclaimed male homosexual transvestite “Shangela” from a lewd reality television show “RuPaul’s Drag Race” in which homosexual male drag performers compete for prizes. The tickets are cheap ($3), and so, it appears, is the propaganda, display of immorality, and overall message to the Fox Valley community.
drag-show.jpg

Wisconsin Family Action president Julaine Appling states, “Human sexuality is both a gift and a responsibility given to man by God. Sexual morality, therefore, is everyone’s concern. It is of concern to single individuals, to families, and to society. Our University of Wisconsin System is placing the stamp of approval on homosexual propaganda and explicitly immoral content with an upcoming “drag show” event that sends the wrong message to our next generation of leaders, parents, and families. Taxpayers should beware, and quickly take action to defend our shared values. The Badger State’s standards for it’s families are much higher than this shameful display of sexual immorality on our campuses in an our local communities.”
source

Ah yes, the all inclusive "OUR." :facepalm: And the fact that dressing up as a female, when you ain't one, amounts to sexual immorality. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
To be honest, I've never really understood the point of a drag show, except to flaunt sexuality, and sometimes rather graphic stuff at that.

Simurgh

Atheist Triple Goddess
To be honest, I've never really understood the point of a drag show, except to flaunt sexuality, and sometimes rather graphic stuff at that.

Oh what’s the purpose of any show really? It’s supposed to be fun for those who like be entertained. By the same token, we can ask what the purpose of violent video games; hockey games; football games; classical music concerts; any theatrical performance; or the Westminster Dog Show is for that matter.

Regarding flaunting sexuality, you can start with car commercials, under ware ads that can be seen on bus stops, you can look at the clothing and make-up geared to girls under the age of ten, and so on and so forth.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.

Agreed, what is the point of them? Isn't a guy who likes men switched to women about as same as a guy who likes women? If not, transexuality is not genderswitching really in that case, if there is a difference between women and men-to-women.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I'll take your word for it. Never been to one, and probably never will.

dust1n

Zindīq
Drag shows are usually like.. club nights... You get a DJ or whatever and then you have drag queens walk out like a fashion show.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Drag shows are usually like.. club nights... You get a DJ or whatever and then you have drag queens walk out like a fashion show.

In... how many... drag shows have you been... exactly? :angel2:

Nevermind.

Alceste

Vagabond

Not the drag shows I've seen. There's usually comedy, singing, dancing and fabulous outfits. Some of the comedy might be a little off colour, but "flaunting sexuality" doesn't enter into it. Wanting to look fabulous isn't necessarily a kink.

Alceste

Vagabond
Agreed, what is the point of them? Isn't a guy who likes men switched to women about as same as a guy who likes women? If not, transexuality is not genderswitching really in that case, if there is a difference between women and men-to-women.

It's a show, not a singles club. All kinds of people enjoy those shows, straight and gay men and women are usually all represented, and it's nothing to do with what you're attracted to in a partner.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Not the drag shows I've seen. There's usually comedy, singing, dancing and fabulous outfits. Some of the comedy might be a little off colour, but "flaunting sexuality" doesn't enter into it. Wanting to look fabulous isn't necessarily a kink.

I've been to two, both put on by my fellow college students. Both devolved into sexual innuendo (the most blatant being sucking on a penis shaped popscicle), but maybe it was simply the maturity of the producers that was at issue.

If you want to look fabulous, strut your stuff down the street. Nobody's stopping you. If you want to sing and dance and do comedy, you can act in your local community thespian club or whatever.

If you want to do a drag show, that's your perogative. I just don't see the point of making a show particularly for people who want to dress up as the opposite gender. It just seems gimicky, without a purpose, except to flaunt the fact that you are a person dressing up in the opposite gender clothes.

dust1n

Zindīq
In... how many... drag shows have you been... exactly? :angel2:

Nevermind.

A couple. Back in P-cola, FL, (1 of 5 gay friendliest places in the nation), it really wasn't too absurd to see a drag show at the local gay bar. It's basically like any other night in a bar.

I don't know what a drag show in a community center is. Doesn't really sound much different. Just events to entertain and what not.

Alceste

Vagabond
I've been to two, both put on by my fellow college students. Both devolved into sexual innuendo (the most blatant being sucking on a penis shaped popscicle), but maybe it was simply the maturity of the producers that was at issue.

If you want to look fabulous, strut your stuff down the street. Nobody's stopping you. If you want to sing and dance and do comedy, you can act in your local community thespian club or whatever.

If you want to do a drag show, that's your perogative. I just don't see the point of making a show particularly for people who want to dress up as the opposite gender. It just seems gimicky, without a purpose, except to flaunt the fact that you are a person dressing up in the opposite gender clothes.

Every show has a "gimmick." My Celtic band plays Celtic music. My jug band plays jug band music. The vaudeville show I just did had everyone dress in a 1920-1930 style - even the audience and the back stage crew. The film night I put on yesterday started a conversation about local watershed issues.

You're framing your comments like the drag gimmick is objectively pointless, rather than simply not to your personal taste. In fact, the only objectively bad gimmick in entertainment is one that doesn't draw a paying crowd. Drag shows do not suffer from that problem.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Every show has a "gimmick." My Celtic band plays Celtic music. My jug band plays jug band music. The vaudeville show I just did had everyone dress in a 1920-1930 style - even the audience and the back stage crew. The film night I put on yesterday started a conversation about local watershed issues.

You're framing your comments like the drag gimmick is objectively pointless, rather than simply not to your personal taste. In fact, the only objectively bad gimmick in entertainment is one that doesn't draw a paying crowd. Drag shows do not suffer from that problem.

So, if the gimmick is just people dressing up in the opposite gender's clothes, then isn't the point just to "flaunt" that particular sexuality, like I said earlier?

I'm sorry. I am supportive of all the varieties of sexuality, I guess I just don't see the point of flaunting any particular variety.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I've been to a number of them. I've choreographed for them, too, as well as some contestants in previous national Mr. Gay America pageants, where you can also see trans contestants entered as well.

Drag shows are phenomenal when they're well-organized and with good performers. You are able to see through entertainment, style, make-up, costuming, and staging the very epitome of gender-bending, and what we witness as expected masculinity and expected femininity as being turned upside down.

I've worked with enough men in drag shows to know they are absolutely serious and committed to their art. They study and practice either the essence of what is feminine in culture, or they study and practice a particular female celebrity to portray on stage, for weeks and weeks to get every little detail just right.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I've been to a number of them. I've choreographed for them, too, as well as some contestants in previous national Mr. Gay America pageants, where you can also see trans contestants entered as well.

Drag shows are phenomenal when they're well-organized and with good performers. You are able to see through entertainment, style, make-up, costuming, and staging the very epitome of gender-bending, and what we witness as expected masculinity and expected femininity as being turned upside down.

I've worked with enough men in drag shows to know they are absolutely serious and committed to their art. They study and practice either the essence of what is feminine in culture, or they study and practice a particular female celebrity to portray on stage, for weeks and weeks to get every little detail just right.
This was a helpful perspective. Thanks.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So, if the gimmick is just people dressing up in the opposite gender's clothes, then isn't the point just to "flaunt" that particular sexuality, like I said earlier?

I'm sorry. I am supportive of all the varieties of sexuality, I guess I just don't see the point of flaunting any particular variety.

Then again, whats wrong with flaunting sexuality? :p

I agree to what Alceste said: the organizers surely appreaciate the publicity.

Alceste

Vagabond

I don't know about "flaunting sexuality". Seems to me that it's more about gender than sexuality, and although the shows can be suggestive, they're not sexual in nature. Certainly not when compared to an Amsterdam sex show, or a strip club