• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ACTION ALERT: "defend our shared values" from a "shameful display of sexual immorality"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Drag shows are usually like.. club nights... You get a DJ or whatever and then you have drag queens walk out like a fashion show.
And dance. Amongst lots of whooping and hollorin....... People like to have a good time.

Have to admit there are really talented folks doing things a little different but it's all the same fun.

[youtube]rIjfX_u2IBg[/youtube]
Insane Drag Performance - YouTube

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
as long as its behind closed doors in private places, i dont care what they do.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wisconsin Family Action president Julaine Appling states, “Human sexuality is both a gift and a responsibility given to man by God. Sexual morality, therefore, is everyone’s concern. It is of concern to single individuals, to families, and to society. Our University of Wisconsin System is placing the stamp of approval on homosexual propaganda and explicitly immoral content with an upcoming “drag show” event that sends the wrong message to our next generation of leaders, parents, and families. Taxpayers should beware, and quickly take action to defend our shared values. The Badger State’s standards for it’s families are much higher than this shameful display of sexual immorality on our campuses in an our local communities.”
I agree that sexual morality is everyone's concern.

Which is why I think that making nonfactual attacks on homosexuals is sexually immoral.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Then again, whats wrong with flaunting sexuality? :p
There's nothing wrong with it. I said that I didn't understand the point of it. A poster also claimed that it wasn't about flaunting sexuality (or gender, whichever), but that does seem to be the gist of it.

Alceste

Vagabond
There's nothing wrong with it. I said that I didn't understand the point of it. A poster also claimed that it wasn't about flaunting sexuality (or gender, whichever), but that does seem to be the gist of it.

You thought that superman / wonder woman dance was sexual? I can hardly think of anything less sexual than falling out of the ceiling in a pair of heels, straight into full splits. Yikes!

But I guess there's no accounting for taste. ;)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
You thought that superman / wonder woman dance was sexual? I can hardly think of anything less sexual than falling out of the ceiling in a pair of heels, straight into full splits. Yikes!

Glad you enjoyed it. I would haved loved to see that performance. Glad that it was put up on the tube for everyones enjoyment.

Alceste

Vagabond
Glad you enjoyed it. I would haved loved to see that performance. Glad that it was put up on the tube for everyones enjoyment.

At the vaudeville show I mentioned two of the performers did some very acrobatic holds and postures together in what basically amounted to sparkly underpants. That was more sexual on account of them being mostly naked and the music being saucier, but also amazing to watch. The human body does incredible stuff!

Wherenextcolumbus

Of course these guys can dance, what makes me uncomfortable is cis males appropriating female identities, being hyper feminine in order to be funny, yeah I agree with falvun what is the point of it? Is the point to show how ridiculous women are? I have no issue with gender bending when it's meant to be serious like what the new romantics did. Although I like the side of it which makes fun of heteronormativity, and I am a hypocritric and find some drag comedians funny. Just saying I don't think it's entirely without fault and I think it depends on how you do it.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Of course these guys can dance, what makes me uncomfortable is cis males appropriating female identities, being hyper feminine in order to be funny, yeah I agree with falvun what is the point of it? Is the point to show how ridiculous women are? I have no issue with gender bending when it's meant to be serious like what the new romantics did. Although I like the side of it which makes fun of heteronormativity, and I am a hypocritric and find some drag comedians funny. Just saying I don't think it's entirely without fault and I think it depends on how you do it.

I've never found any drag show intending to poke fun at what is feminine. It's always been a celebration of it, in fact.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

Again, anyone can do this stuff if that's what they want to do. Cirque du Soleil, circuses, gymnastics, dance classes, etc. The "gimmick" of the show is that it is only people in drag doing it. That's what I mean when I say they are showcasing, flaunting, making a spectacle of, a particular sexuality/gender identity.

Wherenextcolumbus

I've never found any drag show intending to poke fun at what is feminine. It's always been a celebration of it, in fact.

I thought it was meant to be funny and entertaining because its a man dressed up as a woman? Also if it is a celebration of it, there is also a problem with that too - cis men celebrating a gender role and sexuality and stereotypes of women that have been used to oppress us.

dust1n

Zindīq
And dance. Amongst lots of whooping and hollorin....... People like to have a good time.

Have to admit there are really talented folks doing things a little different but it's all the same fun.

Exactly. It's just people having a little fun. I can't imagine why someone would go out of their way to be against fun. :(

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I thought it was meant to be funny and entertaining because its a man dressed up as a woman? Also if it is a celebration of it, there is also a problem with that too - cis men celebrating a gender role and sexuality and stereotypes of women that have been used to oppress us.

No, it's a specific celebration of males portraying femininity by gender-bending entertainment. It's fun, fabulous, and the good shows that draw the most crowds have performers and crew who work pretty hard at their craft.

What stereotypes of women that have been used to oppress us are you speaking about?

Wherenextcolumbus

No, it's a specific celebration of males portraying femininity by gender-bending entertainment. It's fun, fabulous, and the good shows that draw the most crowds have performers and crew who work pretty hard at their craft.

What stereotypes of women that have been used to oppress us are you speaking about?

The over the top hair makeup outfits, sometimes over the top sexual dancing and clothing, the exaggerated feminine mannerisms. They look like caricatures of women. I've been to goth clubs and I've seen men wearing dresses, mini skirts, tights makeup, there isn't much distinction between the men and women, but the men aren't meant to be caricatures of the women for other people's entertainment, they just blurr the distinctions between masculinity and femininity.

Are drag kings just as popular?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
The over the top hair makeup outfits, sometimes over the top sexual dancing and clothing, the exaggerated feminine mannerisms. They look like caricatures of women. I've been to goth clubs and I've seen men wearing dresses, mini skirts, tights makeup, there isn't much distinction between the men and women, but the men aren't meant to be caricatures of the women for other people's entertainment, they just blurr the distinctions between masculinity and femininity.

Nope.

I don't see any issues with cultural displays of femininity, though.

Alceste

Vagabond

If anything I think it is more of a caricature of repressive male expectations than female ones, if we want to go down that road. In conventional circles, what do we think of men who want to look fabulous, wear make-up, wax their bodies, and dance? I think that those who are disturbed by it are more preoccupied by what kind of behavior they expect from men than women.

It's really not fair that if I want to look fabulous and show off, I face no obstacles, but if my brother does it is going to be a problem for some people.

Wherenextcolumbus

If anything I think it is more of a caricature of repressive male expectations than female ones, if we want to go down that road. In conventional circles, what do we think of men who want to look fabulous, wear make-up, wax their bodies, and dance? I think that those who are disturbed by it are more preoccupied by what kind of behavior they expect from men than women.

It's really not fair that if I want to look fabulous and show off, I face no obstacles, but if my brother does it is going to be a problem for some people.

But they are not meant to be men who are feminine when they are in drag. They are meant to play women hence why they call themselves she girl woman lady queen, because while they are in drag they identify as a woman. This is why I said they are a caricature of women, and are appropriating a female identity which is why it's entertainment.
When they take the drag off they go back to referring to themselves as men.

Alceste

Vagabond
But they are not meant to be men who are feminine when they are in drag. They are meant to play women hence why they call themselves she girl woman lady queen, because while they are in drag they identify as a woman. This is why I said they are a caricature of women, and are appropriating a female identity which is why it's entertainment.
When they take the drag off they go back to referring to themselves as men.

I think very few people would get a drag queen mixed up with a biological woman. They're much more fabulous, generally speaking. when we want to look fabulous and show off, we usually gravitate toward burlesque.

Wherenextcolumbus

My point wasn't about people getting them mixed up.
My point is similar to when some black women get annoyed by gay white men doing the finger clinking "oh nnnaaaahhhh guurrll, you didn't" thing.
I hate comparing issues but sometimes I have to for people to get what I'm talking about.