• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adultery...bad?

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
So, I see a lot more threads on the subject of homosexuality. Many of them, if not most of them, are started by people who are homosexual themselves or have ties to the Rainbow Alliance. I realize that it is a heated subject, homosexuality. I realize that while the Christians on this thread are either OK with people living and letting live, there are some who don't completely agree.

This thread is a springboard from those ideas to another one. This thread is about the curious nature of adultery, second,third,or even fourth marriages, and its place in the Abrahamic faiths.

We know, as it's commanded in one of the 10 commandments, that one is not to commit adultery. We should probably be taking this FAR more seriously than gay marriage/homosexuality because there are only about three verses in the OT about it, and nothing in the NT. So why aren't we stoning adulterers? Why are we ok with being married a second or third time? Isn't that MORE detrimental to the family unit than say, two homosexual parents?

Why aren't we as hardcore on stoning adulterers than we are with condemning two people who want to love one another?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
As the wife of a man who commit adultery, I can tell you, it is very painful. Even if it weren't a commandment, it would still be painful for me.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
As the wife of a man who commit adultery, I can tell you, it is very painful. Even if it weren't a commandment, it would still be painful for me.

I know you are meant to forgive him, but he should also be stoned to death. I'm not taking this lightly, my dad committed adultery on all three of his wives, including my mom. I'm so terribly sorry for what he's done to you. :( *hugs*

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Why aren't we as hardcore on stoning adulterers than we are with condemning two people who want to love one another?
I have never understood that discrepancy either. The command to not remarry is MUCH clearer than any scripture regarding homosexuality in the New Testament.....

"But I say to you, any man who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, causes her to commit adultery, and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery." Matthew 5:32

"Anyone who divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery, and the man who marries a divorced woman commits adultery." Luke 16:18

I'd love to hear a good explanation as to why so many in the church remarry.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I can attest that seeing as how both my parents married-divorced-remarried several different times to different people. It sucked. You have asked a very good question and I recommend all Christians that read this to give it a good long hard thought as to which is more detrimental.

P.S. I started listing all the things that sucked about my childhood/teen years because of this but removed them because it was getting depressing haha.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'd love to hear a good explanation as to why so many in the church remarry.

Because they want to, so it's not that big a deal. It's simple justification and rationalization. Everything's bad until they want to do it. Then it's OK, all of a sudden.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Because they want to, so it's not that big a deal. It's simple justification and rationalization. Everything's bad until they want to do it. Then it's OK, all of a sudden.
Well, that's our conclusion. ;) I'd like to hear how they get away with it from a scriptural standpoint. Where's the scriptural defense for their position?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, that's our conclusion. ;) I'd like to hear how they get away with it from a scriptural standpoint. Where's the scriptural defense for their position?

Well, that's a futile question. The only real response you'll get is "Because.".

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Well, that's a futile question. The only real response you'll get is "Because.".
Ok. Then I guess we should just chuck the thread then. :p

If you ask me, after three years on this forum, most of the threads ask futile questions anymore. :)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Ok. Then I guess we should just chuck the thread then. :p
Lol noooooooooooooo

Butteryone said:
If you ask me, after three years on this forum, most of the threads ask futile questions anymore. :)
Probably, but I looked in the archives, and this question hasn't been directly confronted. It's obvious why too. It's painful for MANY people who's families have been hurt by break ups, divorces, and remarriages. This happens to 50% of american families. It's happened to mine. It's painful, and it's much more real than crusading against something most people don't have to engage in. No one is forced to deal with homosexuality the way we are forced to deal with the evils that are adultery. The ones that break into our hearts and really tear us apart.

Maybe it'll be too controversial to actually get a good discussion going, and I'm willing to accept it. I just thought this ought to be addressed at some point. :)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Lol noooooooooooooo
I was just kidding. I'm as interested as you are for a REAL answer. I have yet to hear one....even after all those years attending church.

Probably, but I looked in the archives, and this question hasn't been directly confronted. It's obvious why too. It's painful for MANY people who's families have been hurt by break ups, divorces, and remarriages. This happens to 50% of american families. It's happened to mine. It's painful, and it's much more real than crusading against something most people don't have to engage in. No one is forced to deal with homosexuality the way we are forced to deal with the evils that are adultery. The ones that break into our hearts and really tear us apart.
Wait...are you saying remarriage is bad? Maybe you should clarify your stance on the subject. Or, are you just wanting the church to come clean and explain why they allow it while not allowing homosexuality?

Enoch07

Premium Member
I agree and would back you up anytime you wanted it on this issue Buttons. Maybe I am just a "noob", but this question actually blew my mind. And I feel your right. If we (all of us believers and non-belivers) focused on keeping people married together in general, instead of worrying about the gays. The world would be a much better place.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Wait...are you saying remarriage is bad? Maybe you should clarify your stance on the subject. Or, are you just wanting the church to come clean and explain why they allow it while not allowing homosexuality?

No, re-marriage is not bad. Similarly, homosexuality is not bad. And, divorce, when necessary, is not bad. BUT, the church/Bible says that these things are bad, and that these other things are even WORSE than homosexual acts and homosexuality. That's the point I'm trying to get at, I'm not trying to hurt people who have been remarried or anything like that.

But, divorce IS painful, not just religiously. I personally feel people should try to work through marriage especially if they've promised to love one person forever. BUT, sometimes mistakes are made, and I understand that. :)

I am wanting the Church and people who believe in the legitimacy of the Bible to explain this interesting phenomenon.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I agree and would back you up anytime you wanted it on this issue Buttons. Maybe I am just a "noob", but this question actually blew my mind. And I feel your right. If we (all of us believers and non-belivers) focused on keeping people married together in general, instead of worrying about the gays. The world would be a much better place.

Thank you very much for that Enoch :) I really appreciate it.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
No, re-marriage is not bad. Similarly, homosexuality is not bad. And, divorce, when necessary, is not bad. BUT, the church/Bible says that these things are bad, and that these other things are even WORSE than homosexual acts and homosexuality. That's the point I'm trying to get at, I'm not trying to hurt people who have been remarried or anything like that.
Ok. Gotcha.

But, divorce IS painful, not just religiously. I personally feel people should try to work through marriage especially if they've promised to love one person forever. BUT, sometimes mistakes are made, and I understand that. :)
Darling Buttons...I mean this with all the respect in the world but these "promises" to love one another forever and ever are often made when people are very young and don't know themselves very well. What's the most important aspect in my mind is to be honest and nurture your relationship as best you can. If at some point you realize after much thought and intervention that the direction your married life is taking is not making you happy, you decide your future from there. You simply can't envision that scenario until you get there.

Enoch07

Premium Member
Sorry all the divorce talk is my bad. I forgot to mention that my dad was probably the biggest womanizer in the south eastern U.S. My mom just always fell for men that cheated on her. So yeah I got it from both ends.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Darling Buttons...I mean this with all the respect in the world but these "promises" to love one another forever and ever are often made when people are very young and don't know themselves very well. What's the most important aspect in my mind is to be honest and nurture your relationship as best you can. If at some point you realize after much thought and intervention that the direction your married life is taking is not making you happy, you decide your future from there. You simply can't envision that scenario until you get there.
I realize that. I'm not very old, and I don't have that much life experience. But I have been deeply hurt by my parent's divorce, and I know a lot (most of my friends) also have to deal with the problems that come from parents divorcing. It's not just about a promise to love one another. In my opinion, it's a promise to face the world together, to make plans with and for one another, and to make damned sure you want that responsibility. That's one reason I'm not married yet, I'm not able to make such a commitment. I know that not everything can be forseen, and that sometimes things just aren't meant to be... but I'd like to see people trying to work out marriages before simply giving up (as happens a lot lately.).

No, this doesn't apply to everyone. I dont' know everything and I don't pretend to. Anyway, my personal issues with this aren't the topic of this thread.