• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Adultery...bad?

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Why would you make such an assumption Kathryn?
I AM serious here. Not pushing your buttons or anything.
It is quite a generalization to substantiate.
I mean... WHO SAYS?

There are christians who reject Paul outright.
Christians who find all they need in the gospels.

There are Gnostic christians who have an ENTIRELY different "doctrinal" spin.
(which I for one find much more enriching and interpretively resonant and wonder-filled and richly beautiful)
Not to mention MORE "bible" to support their interpretations.

Why are you all so trusting of the people who compiled this book?
I don't get it.
I should start a new thread.

Yes, this is a topic for a new thread - because the truth of the matter is that the vast majority of Christians in the world use the entire bible (take your pick - 66 or 73 books) as their holy scripture. I can say this with assurance because Roman Catholics are the largest group of Christians in the world, closely followed by mainstream Protestant groups (which would include Baptist, Anglican, Episcopalian, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, etc) and the Orthodox churches. Those groups comprise the majority of Christianity in the world today numbers wise - and those groups use the entire bible as holy scripture.

Yes that is a generalization - based on simple math. Of course there are exceptions, but I was generally speaking.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
And I am not just blindly trusting "the people who compiled this book." The bible has been the focus of intense scrutiny for over 2000 years (closer to 4000 when including the Old Testament), and it's fared well. It's one of the most historically substantiated collections of ancient literature, if not THE most historically substantiated. In my own independent study, which includes studying the original languages and the development of doctrines, my questions have been answered very satisfactorily.

But like you said, a topic for another thread.

blackout

Violet.
Originally Posted by Kathryn
Christians take the entire bible into account when defining doctrine. All that Jesus said is true but all that Jesus said is NOT recounted in the bible. There is biblical truth outside of the recorded words of Christ.

Had you said "A Vast Majority of Christians.... take the entire bible into account when defining .... etc etc"
I would have said nothing.
Or even "Mainstream Christians.... (generally) take the entire bible into account... etc etc...."
or "Mainstream Christians.... (generally attempt to) take the entire bible into account... etc etc...."

I just get really tired of people insinuating and outright stating
that a person connot possibly be a chrisitan unless they.... "THIS.. or... THAT".
(fill in the blank)
Not saying you were necessarily doing that BTW.

Last edited: