• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Alcohol versus Marijuana: Which is Better?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Of the two drugs, alcohol and marijuana, which is best for society? For users? Which is worse for society? For users? Why?

Nanda

Polyanna
Of the two drugs, alcohol and marijuana, which is best for society? For users? Which is worse for society? For users? Why?

I don't see how there's a difference. I don't smoke in general, because of my asthma, but if we're going to keep cigarettes and alchohol legal, I don't see why marijuana is illegal. From what I understand, it doesn't do any more harm than the other two.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Well, they both have their relative merits and downfalls.

Alcohol is cheap, and easy to get, and it normally doesn't take much of it to make a person inebriated. That's good for the person's wallet and the economy in general (alcohol is a very lucrative business to be in, trust me!). However, drinking leads to liver problems, accidents, death, and excessive use can potentially destroy one's life. And, that's not so good for people or for society.

Marijuana on the other hand is expensive, and hard to get, not to mention the fact that it's illegal. The black market really is no good for anybody. However, it has recreational and medicinal uses, with barely any addictive qualities and no studies have really conclusively shown that using it does any damage to the body. And, there have been no accidental deaths or overdose deaths from smoking it.

If I had to choose between the two, I would definitely choose marijuana. However, I do enjoy a glass of wine, a cocktail or a beer every now and then.

Nanda

Polyanna
However, it has recreational and medicinal uses, with barely any addictive qualities and no studies have really conclusively shown that using it does any damage to the body.

Other than the damage to the lungs that smoking anything produces, I would think.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Cannabis is in most major religions globally as a holy teacher plant; including the Bible and Quran also…..

Cannabis lowers Ego and if not done holy, yolks are taken (paranoia) …yet on an overall look at societies who use it, materialism is allot lower….as when you a hippy, why bother how you dress….

Alcohol was apart of the fall, as if we have alcohol, we lower our overall collective consciousness….and produce more ego and so wars…..
It produces unneeded, wants and desires…
plus everyone “having drunk old wines, talks about how they plan to change their past”…
Most of the people in mental institution are there due to alcohol….

Cannabis heals and is classed vitamin M….

In Mark 6:13 he tell us the disciple healed with oil which would have contained cannabis and so known to help leprosy, plus many ailment.….

So which is best…one is holy and produces Christ’s; one is not and allows alcohol which the Bible condemns, on any wine old then a year…..

A

angellous_evangellous

Marijuana is likely better for health and more effective for getting high.

Alcohol is cheaper, but more dangerous healthwise and notorious for driving deaths.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

I would hazzard a guess that neither is the lesser evil......
As I understand it, marijuana, when taken in early teens can (and often does) bring on pyschological problems - which can turn into long term real personality problems.

Smoking causes damage of all kinds (even second hand smoking) - even though my Father in Law smoked a pipe all his life, and died at ninety.....on the reverse side, another relative diesd of cancer of the mouth which was attributed to having also smoked a pipe.

marijuana, if prescribed by a doctor, as pain relief for MS, as I understand it, has great value - but smoking has none. We all suffer from smoke related problems, but as far as I know, there are no positives for smoking cigarettes.

gnomon

Just comparing these two, alcohol is worse. It holds a greater risk for abuse, the impairment effects of alcohol are more pronounced for the majority of individuals and carry with it a greater risk of immediate danger due to such impairment, alcohol carries an increased risk of marked aggression, chronic abuse holds greater risk to a number of major organs including the liver, kidneys, stomach and the brain, withdrawal from alcohol addiction is notorious for being one of the drugs in which withdrawal alone holds a risk for death...to be perfectly honest, it should be clear to everyone that alcohol is a far more dangerous drug than marijuana.

Does smoking marijuana hold some dangers. Yes it does. But those dangers pale in comparison to the abuse or even casual use of alcohol.

edit: From another point of view, marijuana is worse because, despite the actual health and social effects of both drugs, marijuana will land you in more trouble with the law.

Truth_Faith13

Sunstone - are you trying to win an award for the most bizarre asked questions! You are funny! :D

I dont like either of them, they are both as bad as each other, both have negative effects on both the individual consuming them and those around. However if I had to chose I would say Marijuana was the best as IMO it has less consequences for the people around the person smoking it, so it is more of a personal thing.

There still both bad though, and I would discourage anyone from taking either especially in excess!

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
whydrinkanddrive_alcohol_tn.jpg

Since most of us don't own aircrafts and lots of road fatalities are linked to alcohol consumption, I'm gonna say that alcohol is worse. :D

Plus, I never heard about people beating up other people after they smoked.......however, you never know. :shrug:

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Since if You check around the world to be a prophet (Shaman) you had to be on cannabis in some way (holy anointing oil), most of our spiritual books are written by people on it….

When was the last spiritual book, you saw coming out of the pub, other then being used as a brick through the window....

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Really, it depends on how much. There are studies that show beer and certain wines, when consumed in moderation, are great for your health. Excessive alcohol though destroys the entire body, not just one or two areas like alot of drugs.
One study, the link has been buried under the countless posts on RF, shows that moderate consuming of marijuana can stimulate brain cell regrowth. The keyword though is consumed. The article did not mention how the marijuana was taken.
Marijuana though, has many medical benefits, and the only health risks arise when it's smoked.