• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I a Muslim?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I believe that there is no God but God. I believe that Muhammad is His Prophet.

Does that make me a Muslim?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

I think you have to submit first,isn't that what Muslim means "submission",i could be wrong but when you prostrate and perform Salat isn't that what a Muslim does.

jazzymom

Just Jewish

One needs to say the Shahada to become a Muslim.

The Shahada can be declared as follows:

"ASH-HADU ANLA ELAHA ILLA-ALLAH WA ASH-HADU ANNA MOHAMMADAN RASUL-ALLAH".

The English translation is:

"I bear witness that there is no deity (none truely to be worshipped) but, Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah",

robo

Pretty much yes. That is the Shahada.

The key though is that you need to believe that Mohammed was Allah's last prophet before judgement day.

Ahmadiyas believe that Mohammed is a prophet but Mirza Ghulam Ahmed is the last prophet. What are your thoughts on whether Mirza Ghulam Ahmed is a prophet of Allah or not?

Bahai believe that Bahaullah is the last prophet. What are your thoughts on whether Bahaullah is a prophet of Allah or not?

Mainstream Muslims consider Ahmadiyas and Bahai Kaffirs. If you also are willing to declare Ahmadiyas and Bahai as non-Muslims deviating the true Islamic faith, I think you will be considered a Muslim.

The next issue you need to worry about would be to figure out which one of the 73 sects of Islam to convert into. Keep in mind that only one of them will entry into Jannat (heaven). The other 72 will be in the hellfire (Jahannum). These are not MY words. These are the words of Prophet Mohammed himself.

Last edited:

jazzymom

Just Jewish

The key though is that you need to believe that Mohammed was Allah's last prophet before judgement day.

Ahmadiyas believe that Mohammed is a prophet but Mirza Ghulam Ahmed is the last prophet. What are your thoughts on whether Mirza Ghulam Ahmed is a prophet of Allah or not?

Bahai believe that Bahaullah is the last prophet. What are your thoughts on whether Bahaullah is a prophet of Allah or not?

Mainstream Muslims consider Ahmadiyas and Bahai Kaffirs. If you also are willing to declare Ahmadiyas and Bahai as non-Muslims deviating the true Islamic faith, I think you will be considered a Muslim.

The next issue you need to worry about would be to figure out which one of the 73 sects of Islam to convert into. Keep in mind that only one of them will entry into Jannat (heaven). The other 72 will be in the hellfire (Jahannum). These are not MY words. These are the words of Prophet Mohammed himself.

I thought that Bahai's believe there is a prophet for every age, not that Bahaullah was the last prophet. Also do Bahai's consider themselves muslim? I thought they consider themselves separate from Islam?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I think you have to submit first,isn't that what Muslim means "submission",i could be wrong but when you prostrate and perform Salat isn't that what a Muslim does.

I think submission is about more than salaat.

I don't plan to say salaat as it is traditionally said nor to practice Islam as it is traditinoally practiced - I suppose that is at the heart of my question :)

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

"I bear witness that there is no deity (none truely to be worshipped) but, Allah, and I bear witness that Mohammad is the messenger of Allah",

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

The concerns you outline aren't really on my radar - I don't think we're on the same page.

But thank you.

Awoon

Easy to become Muslim

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

it should be No god but Allah,and not no god but god.:)

ASH-HADU AN LA ELAHA ILLA-ALLAH WA ASH-HADU ANNA MOHAMMADAN RASUL-ALLAH

ASH-HADU - i bear witness
AN - that
LA - no
ELAHA - god
ILLA - but
ALLAH

Just IMHO following scholars or even prophets to be as a religion name make no sense,
thats why the prophet warns about sections,like one following Ahmadi,the others following Bahaullah and so on,so why i have to follow a person while my connection should be direct submission to god.

Also the deeds account in Islam,no one will be wronged.

as for those who attained to faith and did righteous deeds, they shall be made happy in a garden of delight; (30:15)

And He answers those who believe and do righteous deeds, and He gives them increase of His bounty. And the unbelievers -- for them awaits a terrible chastisement. (42:26)

And those who believe, and do righteous deeds, We shall surely acquit them of their evil deeds, and shall recompense them the best of what they were doing. (29:7)

So today no soul shall be wronged anything, and you shall not be recompensed, except according to what you have been doing. (36:54)

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yes.

Wrong. Someone doesn't need to convert into a sect, but into Islam itself, and hence the Shahada.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Baha'is are so nearly there to my mind. Unfortunately their attitude to gay people is a deal breaker for me.
Then probably. :D You could be Ahmadiyya or Qur'aniyya?
Unless you're a Unitarian Christian who believes Muhammad was a prophet to the Arabs.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Yes.

Wrong. Someone doesn't need to convert into a sect, but into Islam itself, and hence the Shahada.

Thanks TashaN.

While all the other things are important - do you think it is fair to say they are less important?

I'm inclined to think that everything else will ebb and flow during my life.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Thanks TashaN.

While all the other things are important - do you think it is fair to say they are less important?

I'm inclined to think that everything else will ebb and flow during my life.

Nothing is more important than the Shahada, that is for sure.

robo

Dawud :: Book 40 : Hadith 4579 Narrated AbuHurayrah:
The Prophet (peace_be_upon_him) said: The Jews were split up into seventy-one or seventy-two sects; and the Christians were split up into seventy one or seventy-two sects; and my community will be split up into seventy-three sects.

Reported by Awf ibn Malik Al Ashja'l:
The Prophet said, "How will you be O Awf when this nation is divided into 73 sects. One sect will be in Paradise and the rest in Hell."

It is your word against Mohammed's. :eek:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
It is your word against Mohammed's. :eek:

Yes of course there should be no sections.
the right path is obvious and whom follow the wrong path according to following some scholars and man made sections,of course he'll deserve punishment.

See for example the Talmud and some of it's teachings.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Jews are called human beings, but the non-Jews are not humans. They are beasts." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Talmud: Baba mezia, 114b [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The Akum (non-Jew) is like a dog. Yes, the scripture teaches to honour the the dog more than the non-Jew." [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ereget Raschi Erod. 22 30[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just 2 examples whereas the teachings (Talmud) is full with insults and offensive against all humans whom aren't jews.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So our relation should be a direct one with god,all humans are equal,that is important point which we should know.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]in all times there are the blinds who can't see the truth and follow the others to their path and that is the lost path (sections).[/FONT]