• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Amazon workers condemn unsafe, grueling conditions at warehouse

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
My hesitation is that these reports aren't new and they seem to be fairly consistent across the different locations. I will say it is possible these are isolated incidents due to low-mid level mismanagement.
I misspelled "news" as "new".
Corrected now.
Re-read, please.

HonestJoe

My partner had his leg badly broken because the way to do his job was both required and forbidden. And OSHA never showed up unannounced.
Did you partner ever contact OSHA (before or after the incident)? Even if the system is working perfectly, random checks can only go so far. Sometimes we have to help ourselves (and each other).

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Did you partner ever contact OSHA (before or after the incident)? Even if the system is working perfectly, random checks can only go so far. Sometimes we have to help ourselves (and each other).
Of course not!
He still needed the job.
His employer was very clear. Mention OSHA or unions on our property or on social media and you'll get fired.
Tom

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Forget Schmazos. Think about your own contributions to shamazon's business. Are you still a customer? If so, why?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I'm speculating that perhaps we're hearing complaints which don't
accurately reflect the claimed dangers. Consider....Amazon's
worker woes have been all over the news for years. Would you
say that he has such power that government is prevented from oversight?
No of course not prevented. Hinted, lobbied, pressured but never prevented.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Forget Schmazos. Think about your own contributions to shamazon's business. Are you still a customer? If so, why?
I've never bought anything on the internet ever. I don't even like going to Walmarts, but they've destroyed so many American businesses that sometimes there is no there option.
I cannot buy model paint anymore without buying it at Wal-Mart.
Tom

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
‘I'm not a robot’: Amazon workers condemn unsafe, grueling conditions at warehouse

They get two 15-minute breaks, but the article mentioned that it takes as long as 15 minutes just to walk to the breakroom. The article also noted that the injury rates were three times the national average for warehouse work.

Sounds like a sweatshop.

This is outrageous. She gets written up for missing her rate because she had to clean up the mess of broken or improperly packaged items. Sounds like a hostile work environment.

One worker said "I'm a human being, not a robot."

Another worker said he would rather work in a prison, as he compared the Amazon warehouse to that.

I think Mr. Bezos has a lot of 'splaining to do.

Amazon has replaced Google as the best place to work in the US

Of the 25,009 current and former employees who have submitted Amazon reviews on Glassdoor, 74% said that they would recommend the company to a friend.

Amazon also rates favorably on Glassdoor in other categories including CEO approval, culture and values, work-life balance, benefits, and career opportunities.
Amazon will raise its minimum wage to $15 an hour —here's what it's really like to work there, according to employees

18 Reasons Why Amazon is the Best Place to Work - WiseStep

Not that I care about defending Amazon but there are usually at least two sides to any story.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No of course not prevented. Hinted, lobbied, pressured but never prevented.
Is that the only possibility?
No chance that the dangers claimed might be hyped?

I'm in no position to know, but I'm skeptical of the claims.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Is that the only possibility?
No chance that the dangers claimed might be hyped?

I'm in no position to know, but I'm skeptical of the claims.
Of course that's true but not the point I was making which is that sometimes you can't trust government to do the right thing.

It is funny that we've switched positions and you're arguing my position in other cases and I'm arguing yours.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course that's true but not the point I was making which is that sometimes you can't trust government to do the right thing.
Surely you jest!
It is funny that we've switched positions and you're arguing my position in other cases and I'm arguing yours.
I only argued to see a possibility.
It's odd that to argue for understanding something,
many will interpret that for advocating that something.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Yes. Their product is good and I get the things I need when I need them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You make an effective Devil's advocate.
th

james bond

I heard some complaints about Amazon's pay. Guess I believe this. I've heard harsh working conditions for FedEx, too, but you only work as a part-timer. BTW, they use the USPS for some of their customer's shipments in order to get to another office in another city.

HonestJoe

Of course not!
He still needed the job.
His employer was very clear. Mention OSHA or unions on our property or on social media and you'll get fired.
Tom
Seems a little unfair to complain about them not just turning up randomly at one of the millions of businesses in the USA then. Anyway, I'm sure they have ways to report things anonymously or your partner could have taken one for the team. Maybe if someone else had done that, they wouldn't have been injured in the first place.

Of course, in a civilised country, an employee sacked for whistle-blowing would be able to sue the employer for unfair dismissal. :cool:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course, in a civilised country, an employee sacked for whistle-blowing would be able to sue the employer for unfair dismissal. :cool:
Of course, there's the question of what actually happened.
As an employer, I'd never consider retaliating for an employee
calling OSHA. As you say, the legal risks would be very high.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I've never bought anything on the internet ever. I don't even like going to Walmarts, but they've destroyed so many American businesses that sometimes there is no there option.
I cannot buy model paint anymore without buying it at Wal-Mart.
Tom

I try too, but you can also drive yourself kind of crazy about it. As you say, the monopolies have often made it so there are no alternatives. It is amazing that in my parents generation, cornerside locally-owned stores were normal. We will inevitably go back to that as the imperative to knock it off with burning our ancestors becomes impossible to procrastinate further. I look forward to it, and in the mean time try to make a point of doing the farmer's market and local business thing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is amazing that in my parents generation, cornerside locally-owned stores were normal. We will inevitably go back to that....
It'll never happen. That would be terrible.
The internet offers so much more. I can buy
things that would never be available locally.
And so many things I'd otherwise never even
know the
existence of.
......as the imperative to knock it off with burning our ancestors becomes impossible to procrastinate further.
Whuh?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It'll never happen. That would be terrible.
The internet offers so much more. I can buy
things that would never be available locally.
And so many things I'd otherwise never even
know the
existence of.

It will happen, and it won't be terrible. What's terrible is this sort of consumer mentality that has launched our planet into a sixth mass extinction event and caused global-scale ecocide... the ramifications of which will be inescapable even for the most self-centered, consumeristic, and anthropocentric of humans. It's why the richie riches are all obsessed with their wong-shaped space vehicles to escape the inevitable catastrophe. I jest, a bit... but only a bit. It's sadly true, as much as I attempt to make light of it.

You know what fossil fuels are, right? We are quite literally burning our biological ancestors and relatives. I think that if we had bothered to think about it that way from the start, we might have been smarter about our use of it. Ah, who am I kidding... humans are going to consume, consume, consume until they burn down their habitat and then they'll whine about how they can't have five flatscreen TVs in their house anymore...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It will happen, and it won't be terrible.

You're too late.
Pandora's box has been opened.
What's terrible is this sort of consumer mentality that has launched our planet into a sixth mass extinction event and caused global-scale ecocide... the ramifications of which will be inescapable even for the most self-centered, consumeristic, and anthropocentric of humans. It's why the richie riches are all obsessed with their wong-shaped space vehicles to escape the inevitable catastrophe. I jest, a bit... but only a bit. It's sadly true, as much as I attempt to make light of it.

Our environmental problems began long before the internet came into being.

And the culture you decry also preceded it.
The internet just makes info & products more available.

You know what fossil fuels are, right?

I vaguely recall hearing the term somewhere before.
We are quite literally burning our biological ancestors and relatives.

I burn propane, gasoline, & firewood.
(My dead relatives are inconvenient & low in energy content.)
I think that if we had bothered to think about it that way from the start, we might have been smarter about our use of it. Ah, who am I kidding... humans are going to consume, consume, consume until they burn down their habitat and then they'll whine about how they can't have five flatscreen TVs in their house anymore...
Eliminating the internet, & shopping locally won't stop that.