• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Civil War was about Slavery.

Tomorrows_Child

No, it was successful in keeping the states under one government. There was a clear winner and a clear loser.

I am speaking in response to this idea that it was supposed to end slavery. It didn't. It might have taken the chains off their feet but black people were not free.

If that is the reason for starting the war or fighting the war, then it was an abject failure, as have been most American military excursions.

David1967

Premium Member
The wonky little phone I usually use for RF is not condusive to the sort of high walls of dense text some people indulge in;)
Tom
I know what you mean Tom. In the evening anything I post is on my phone and it tries to spell the words for me and usually incorrectly.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I am speaking in response to this idea that it was supposed to end slavery. It didn't. It might have taken the chains off their feet but black people were not free.

There's some truth in what you say, but at the same time, I doubt there were very many who were fighting for equality, even amongst those who were truly ideologically opposed to slavery. As a stupid, but quick comparison, most men probably didn't reckon their wives equals, but not would they subject them to true slavery.

If that is the reason for starting the war or fighting the war, then it was an abject failure, as have been most American military excursions.

I'd argue it was one of the more final wars in terms of outcome. It stopped secession, and consolidated the power of the Union/USA.

Abishai100

X-Ray Vision: Buffet

If you look at the modern age, vigilantism is a very hot topic, perhaps because high urban traffic related to cosmopolitan commerce creates demand for engaged social discussions about jurisprudence balance sheets.

Since vigilantism is so intriguing, comic book adapted films are all the rage in Hollywood.

When we go watch a comic book adapted Hollywood (USA) film such as "The Dark Knight" [2008] or "Deadpool" [2016], we don't say things like, "The madness associated with vigilantism hysteria, as presented in this film, is representative of my dark instincts."

Likewise, just because the American Civil War effectively abolished slavery and is therefore considered the watershed moment in the history of slavery in the whole world, we shouldn't say things like, "It's very discouraging that the Civil War could be construed as being caused by issues other than slavery." After all, even Lincoln would tell you that while slavery was a defining issue, other factors such as economics helped American leaders sculpt the contours of humility.

Isn't that why we celebrate planetariums (model presentations of astronomy and celestial navigation) even though we don't know much about the immensely large universe?

Planetarium

comics2.png