• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

American Gun Laws,i just don't get it (Aurora Cinema shootings)

LongGe123

Was resolved to trawl through all the responses before I wrote mine...but then noticed there are 20 pages. So, regardless of repeating, here we go.

Greater gun control in the states is necessary...really. I know Americans love to bleat about their right to bear arms, and their rights to defend themselves and all that. But let's look at the problem with a bit less of a crazy NRA attitude. From what I've seen, the pro-gun camp hates it when the gun control camp uses such incidents as Columbine, Aurora etc to justify nationwide gun control. They would argue that such a small number of incidents does not warrant gun control, because it remains the tiny minority of people who perpetrate them.

To this argument I would reply that when you think about it, just about ALL crime is committed by a minority of people. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have laws or restrictions in place to curb the activities of that minority. Just as an example, it has become quite normal for shops to ask people to remove baseball caps, open up long coats etc, because when people are intending to steal things, they may well use such items to help them. Now, using pro-gun logic, these rules are unfair because it's only the minority of people who steal things. But from another perspective, the business owner has reason to be afraid that ANYONE with a long coat or baseball cap MIGHT do the same, so he asks them to remove them as a sign that they won't do that.

Before pro-gun people start exploding, I'm aware the two examples are hardly alike in reality, but I think the principle is similar. It only took one such shooting massacre for the UK to get its act together and create more gun control. Now, those in favour of gun control who have any sense will also concede that gun control laws do not eliminate the problem entirely, but if there's any chance that they will help the problem, then isn't it our responsibility to ensure that something gets done?

With regards to the arguments to do with the 2nd amendment - the right to bear arms. This is a classic pro-gun argument, and at first glance seems hard to refute. But let's really tear it apart today, shall we? First of all, the second amendment while being constitutional, is NOT unlimited. This is what the Supreme Court also has ruled in the past. It talks about the right to bear "arms", but does that mean you can get your hands on nuclear materials or anti-tank weapons? Could you install anti-aircraft missiles in your backyard to shoot down the neighbours snot-nosed kids' kite down? No of course not. The point is, the right is still LIMITED. Think about what weapons were available at the time of its writing. Flintlock muskets and pistol versions of the same thing. But also, "arms" stretches to pitchforks, clubs, and even boards with nails in them (knew I could get a Simpsons reference in there without being too obvious)

So, this being so, isn't it reasonable and constitutional to introduce laws to severely limit or even ban the practice of selling assault rifles, automatic weapons or other highly unnecessary and dangerous equipment? It seems to me that Obama was right to call such an idea "common sense". There's no way anyone can justify "needing" an M16 or similar weapon in their home.

Another thing to add to this discussion, would be the fact that the pro-gun camp loves to demonize the gun control people as "trying to take away their right to a gun" - the fact is that it is simply not true. Gun control is not necessarily about taking away everyone's guns, but putting more rules in place to help ensure that the wrong people don't get their hands on them. And isn't that perfectly reasonable? If you are as rational, responsible and reasonable as you say you are, then what have you to really fear? You may wait a little longer but you WILL get your gun at the end of it, won't you? So whose rights are really being infringed upon?

No system of control is ever going to be perfect The only way to really ensure no gun crime is to go the way of China and simply remove all guns (and even realistic replicas) from the general public altogether. There are just literally NO GUNS anywhere in China, noone sells them, no one owns them...except SOME people in rural areas I think, ones who are at risk of being attacked by wild animals or something, I'm not entirely sure, it's a big country. But even that system is not 100% perfect - I believe mafia groups can still get their hands on them...but whatever the case, I've never heard of a shooting incident in Beijing....since 1989 (oooo, bad taste, sorry)

But let's face it, short of a mega-revolution, the States will never go that way, and IMO it shouldn't. It would go against so many aspects of their culture, heritage and beliefs. But at the same time, introducing constitutionally sound gun control is absolutely reasonable, and frankly necessary. How many more massacres will the united states tolerate before it actually DOES something.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Was resolved to trawl through all the responses before I wrote mine...but then noticed there are 20 pages. So, regardless of repeating, here we go.

Greater gun control in the states is necessary...really. I know Americans love to bleat about their right to bear arms, and their rights to defend themselves and all that. But let's look at the problem with a bit less of a crazy NRA attitude. From what I've seen, the pro-gun camp hates it when the gun control camp uses such incidents as Columbine, Aurora etc to justify nationwide gun control. They would argue that such a small number of incidents does not warrant gun control, because it remains the tiny minority of people who perpetrate them.

To this argument I would reply that when you think about it, just about ALL crime is committed by a minority of people. It doesn't mean we shouldn't have laws or restrictions in place to curb the activities of that minority. Just as an example, it has become quite normal for shops to ask people to remove baseball caps, open up long coats etc, because when people are intending to steal things, they may well use such items to help them. Now, using pro-gun logic, these rules are unfair because it's only the minority of people who steal things. But from another perspective, the business owner has reason to be afraid that ANYONE with a long coat or baseball cap MIGHT do the same, so he asks them to remove them as a sign that they won't do that.

Before pro-gun people start exploding, I'm aware the two examples are hardly alike in reality, but I think the principle is similar. It only took one such shooting massacre for the UK to get its act together and create more gun control. Now, those in favour of gun control who have any sense will also concede that gun control laws do not eliminate the problem entirely, but if there's any chance that they will help the problem, then isn't it our responsibility to ensure that something gets done?

With regards to the arguments to do with the 2nd amendment - the right to bear arms. This is a classic pro-gun argument, and at first glance seems hard to refute. But let's really tear it apart today, shall we? First of all, the second amendment while being constitutional, is NOT unlimited. This is what the Supreme Court also has ruled in the past. It talks about the right to bear "arms", but does that mean you can get your hands on nuclear materials or anti-tank weapons? Could you install anti-aircraft missiles in your backyard to shoot down the neighbours snot-nosed kids' kite down? No of course not. The point is, the right is still LIMITED. Think about what weapons were available at the time of its writing. Flintlock muskets and pistol versions of the same thing. But also, "arms" stretches to pitchforks, clubs, and even boards with nails in them (knew I could get a Simpsons reference in there without being too obvious)

So, this being so, isn't it reasonable and constitutional to introduce laws to severely limit or even ban the practice of selling assault rifles, automatic weapons or other highly unnecessary and dangerous equipment? It seems to me that Obama was right to call such an idea "common sense". There's no way anyone can justify "needing" an M16 or similar weapon in their home.

Another thing to add to this discussion, would be the fact that the pro-gun camp loves to demonize the gun control people as "trying to take away their right to a gun" - the fact is that it is simply not true. Gun control is not necessarily about taking away everyone's guns, but putting more rules in place to help ensure that the wrong people don't get their hands on them. And isn't that perfectly reasonable? If you are as rational, responsible and reasonable as you say you are, then what have you to really fear? You may wait a little longer but you WILL get your gun at the end of it, won't you? So whose rights are really being infringed upon?

No system of control is ever going to be perfect The only way to really ensure no gun crime is to go the way of China and simply remove all guns (and even realistic replicas) from the general public altogether. There are just literally NO GUNS anywhere in China, noone sells them, no one owns them...except SOME people in rural areas I think, ones who are at risk of being attacked by wild animals or something, I'm not entirely sure, it's a big country. But even that system is not 100% perfect - I believe mafia groups can still get their hands on them...but whatever the case, I've never heard of a shooting incident in Beijing....since 1989 (oooo, bad taste, sorry)

But let's face it, short of a mega-revolution, the States will never go that way, and IMO it shouldn't. It would go against so many aspects of their culture, heritage and beliefs. But at the same time, introducing constitutionally sound gun control is absolutely reasonable, and frankly necessary. How many more massacres will the united states tolerate before it actually DOES something.

And after all of this....
In another thread I saw someone post.....it is legal to own a saw-off shotgun in England.
Is that right?
The most obvious choice of concealed mayhem.

I say, everyone should carry.....and return fire to be expected.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

How incredibly rude not to read this thread and then bleat out your close minded opinion.

1. It's allredy illegal to kill folks so how would another law stop a crazy person?
2. You don't want gun control, you want gun removal.
3.Stay out of our countries issues you damn yank. :D
4.You don't understand the mindset of the American people. This is our country and our people have a love affair with guns. You don't like seeing people killed, quit entertaining the thought of taking our guns. There would be a whole lotta folks deciding to shoot it out in the name of freedom rather than give away their guns.

If you are satisfied with living like a sheep, that is fine, just don't push your opinions on me.

5. Gun free zones are the problem. If law abiding people would have had a gun in the Batman movie, not so many would have died. Plain and simple, draconian gun laws are to blame for the extreme amount of deaths.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
...If law abiding people would have had a gun in the Batman movie, not so many would have died. Plain and simple, draconian gun laws are to blame for the extreme amount of deaths.
Let's not forget that Mr. Holmes was wearing body armor in order to be ready for Mr. NRA Hero and his little pistol. The theater was dark and filled with tear gas. A civilian with a gun could easily be mistaken as one of the perpetrators under such chaotic conditions, and that could easily result in a even more people getting killed and injured. The "arm everyone" strategy wouldn't work here.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Let's not forget that Mr. Holmes was wearing body armor in order to be ready for Mr. NRA Hero and his little pistol.

Seems to me that Mr Holmes was wearing body armour in preparation for his confrontation with the police.

So your above quoted claim is no more plausible than saying that if everyone was allowed to have guns, Mr Holmes would not have tried it in the first place.

The theater was dark and filled with tear gas. A civilian with a gun could easily be mistaken as one of the perpetrators under such chaotic conditions, and that could easily result in a even more people getting killed and injured.
I agree.
Of course, they could have defused the situation as well.

I mean, the what if game is fun, but seldom very productive.

The "arm everyone" strategy wouldn't work here.
Another claim that cannot be shown true.

My turn at the what if game:
would Mr Holmes have even tried it had everyone in the theater been allowed to carry and him know it?

Now since there is no way to know either way, just as with your what if scenarios, it seems rather pointless.

LongGe123

How incredibly rude not to read this thread and then bleat out your close minded opinion.
1. It's allredy illegal to kill folks so how would another law stop a crazy person?
2. You don't want gun control, you want gun removal.
3.Stay out of our countries issues you damn yank. :D
4.You don't understand the mindset of the American people. This is our country and our people have a love affair with guns. You don't like seeing people killed, quit entertaining the thought of taking our guns. There would be a whole lotta folks deciding to shoot it out in the name of freedom rather than give away their guns.
If you are satisfied with living like a sheep, that is fine, just don't push your opinions on me.
5. Gun free zones are the problem. If law abiding people would have had a gun in the Batman movie, not so many would have died. Plain and simple, draconian gun laws are to blame for the extreme amount of deaths.

Wow, what a load of nonsense to throw at me for just trying to reason out my thoughts on this subject. Shall I nuke all your views at once, or snipe them off one by one? We'll go with the latter:

Starting with the intro - my opinion is NOT close-minded. I base what I think having heard both sides of this argument extensively. And just because my opinion differs wildly from yours, doesn't make it close-minded. The fact that you think everyone should agree with you makes YOU close-minded.

1) It's already illegal to kill? REALLY?! Oh my god when did I miss that crucial amendment? Where did I say that gun control is designed to eliminate murder? Gun control, as with any real practical law, is designed to curb instances of disaster such as Aurora and Columbine. It never claims to be able to eradicate the problem, but if gun control laws mean we cut down the number of murderous shootings significantly as a result, then isn't it worth pursuing?

2) So you're telling ME what I want? I think in my post I made it clear what I meant by gun control. Did you actually read it? It really sounds to me like you didn't read that part AT ALL. I went all out to make a point of saying that gun control does not mean everyone will be robbed of their guns. I think that was pretty clear. Why don't you go back and re-read that part.

3) It's quite rich than an American tells me to "stay out of" his country's issues. Because a core American value is obviously non-inteference, right? And how exactly am I "getting into them" ? I'm just stating my opinion on an issue that could well affect me, given that I have friends and family living stateside. Your presumptuous statement here is nothing short of ludicrous.

4) I never made any statement claiming that everyone's guns should be taken away. What I said was, according to the constitution, it is every citizen's right to bear ARMS. But even your supreme court also added that the right was LIMITED. So it is absolutely constitutional to introduce gun control laws to, for example, forbid people to own assault rifles. That's what I was talking about. And you typify my point marvellously about the pro-gun nut who thinks that when you mention gun control you believe we mean a total nationwide ban on ALL guns. Ridiculous.

Living like a sheep? That's pretty low considering I've formed this opinion based on my own reading, discussion and thought. Is that something you have trouble dealing with? Individual thoughts? Or do you just like following the pro-gun line without question, no matter what anyone else says. Who's the sheep?

5) How would a "gun-free" zone be a problem? What does that even mean? What are you even basing that on? That's just ridiculous. You also seem to making my point for me by claiming the reason we should all be armed is because there are people who are coming to shoot you. Well, if the guns are restricted, that's going to be a lot harder for them isn't it?

The fact that America has always had guns is not an argument against gun control, it's a totally nonsensical smokescreen. The Chinese had emperors for thousands of years but they got rid of them. The British believed in slavery, empire and economic monopolies for centuries, but we got rid of those things too. Stuff changes, and if you can't handle that then you have no place in society. Gun control is NOT an infringement on your rights. And in fact, America's refusal to acknoweldge the need for gun control is an infringement on the rights of all the people who are scared and intimidated by the fact that anyone around them might be carrying guns. Gun-control supporters have rights too! They have the right not to feel threatened by the fact their neighbors might have 10 machine guns in their basement, and they have the right to be against the idea of carrying a gun because some people claim it's the only way to be safe.

LongGe123

And after all of this....
In another thread I saw someone post.....it is legal to own a saw-off shotgun in England.
Is that right?
The most obvious choice of concealed mayhem.
I say, everyone should carry.....and return fire to be expected.

As far as I know, it is illegal to own such a weapon in the UK. I know of 2 people in my hometown who did and their guns were confiscated by the police.

It is legal to own hunting weapons with a license, but hunting is also seasonal. Basically, the rule is if you can prove that you're ok to have a gun and you have a genuine purpose for it, then you can get one

That's what I mean by gun control not meaning gun removal. What does anyone need a sawn-off shotgun for? It's crazy.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Guns where outlawed in the movie, thus only an outlaw had a gun.

Why are people afraid of the good guys having guns with them?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
*Shrugs* the simple fact is - regardless of how well founded (either in the law through the intention of the 2nd Amendment and its modern day applicability to different types of weapons or how well founded on the moral concerns and current use of weapons in society) any attempts to actually limit the availability of weapons within the USA must have two major facets.

1. Reduction of the prevalence of those weapons determined to be undesirable already in circulation
2. Limitation of the addition of those weapons determined to be undesirable into circulation

The former facet would require some sort of weapon acquisition program where people would turn in their own weapons (which is unlikely to occur in the trigger happiest nation on earth) or else provide law enforcement with sufficient powers to identify such weapons and seize them (which is unconstitutional as it amounts to theft).

The later facet would be possible to implement, however it would likely stimulate the weapon black market (though since this is illegal, this could be cracked down on) it would also lead to increased prevalence of the banned weapons within other countries, most noticeably those within the developing world as producers (remember that US corporations are among the largest manufacturers of weapons in the world) seek alternative markets. It would also not serve to reduce the number of such weapons already in circulation (though certain types of compatible ammunition could obviously be targeted) leading to these weapons simply becoming more valuable (which if there is a gun buy back scheme or something similar (where the government provides incentives to turn in weaponry) it would be less effective, since the weapons themselves have increased in value due to scarcity).

Regardless of how well justified such attempts would be (and in my opinion they are VERY well justified), they are doomed to failure... even if the gun lobby did nothing (and you can be sure they would fight it) implementation is impossible from a practical perspective.

Last edited:

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

I realize that guns scare the crap out of some folks. I further realize that gun control supporters have the best of intentions. While we will see lifeguards at a pool, we will not have security at gun free zones.

Making it harder for people to acquire guns will not stop a crazy person, it will just make illegal markets lucrative.

The truth is, safety is an illusion and madmen don't care about the law.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.
Straw man. Nobody is proposing to outlaw all guns. Those who own banned weapons would, by definition, be committing a crime, and that is the point. The typical response is to say that gun control will ultimately lead to mass confiscation. That is a slippery slope fallacy. So let's be realistic--bring back the ban on assault weapons and ammo magazines larger than 10 rounds. That is what was in effect in the past, and it did not cause a calamity. The 10-round magazine limit would have made it more difficult for Loughner and Holmes to obtain such lethal firepower.

Guns where outlawed in the movie, thus only an outlaw had a gun.
They were? Colorado has among the loosest restrictions in the nation, so that surprises me. In any case, bombs were outlawed, too, and nobody is proposing to remove restrictions on owning bombs. Arguments against gun control usually end up as cases of special pleading. One incident forces everyone in the country to have their shoes scanned in airports, but periodic incidents of mass murder are called too "low frequency" to inconvenience citizens by banning high-capacity magazines.

Why are people afraid of the good guys having guns with them?
Holmes was a "good guy". He passed the cursory background checks that allowed him to purchase his 4 weapons legally. That's the problem. A "good guy" can go crazy and become a self-styled "Joker" character out of a Batman comic. And a lot of "good guy" owners tends to make a mountain of guns available to thieves, who prize them highly for their street value. So the "good guy" supply is actually what fuels the "bad guy" supply.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I realize that guns scare the crap out of some folks. I further realize that gun control supporters have the best of intentions. While we will see lifeguards at a pool, we will not have security at gun free zones.

Making it harder for people to acquire guns will not stop a crazy person, it will just make illegal markets lucrative.

The truth is, safety is an illusion and madmen don't care about the law.
Cobretti: As long as we gotta play by these bull **** rules and the killer doesn't, we're gonna lose!

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
Gun control, as with any real practical law, is designed to curb instances of disaster such as Aurora and Columbine. It never claims to be able to eradicate the problem, but if gun control laws mean we cut down the number of murderous shootings significantly as a result, then isn't it worth pursuing?

You assume way to much. Your ideas would not stop a madman nor would it reduce these events. Laws are powerless against crazies.

LongGe123

You assume way to much. Your ideas would not stop a madman nor would it reduce these events. Laws are powerless against crazies.

And the fact that you say it won't do anything to stop people is based on what? Aren't you making a massive assumption there too? What hypocrisy.

You've yet to make any reasoned case against mine. All you do is say it's nonsense and be done with it. That's what you call a rebuttle is it?

LongGe123

It's no good just saying that anti-gun lobby doesn't know what it's talking about, and dismissing their claims as presumptuous. If pro-gun people assume that everyone is just like them when it comes to guns, then they too are being presumptuous, and IMO their ill-founded guesswork as to how people use guns in every situation is more dangerous to society than an anti-gun group that wants nothing more than to restrict the number and type of weapons people get their hands on and the ease with which they do it.

It's easy to declare that owning a firearm is your right, and end it there. But this oversimplification simply doesn't wash. Gun control is constitutional and necessary. I've already explained why I think so, and until a pro-gun person gives me a reasoned rebuttal to the contrary that convinces me otherwise, I will remain on that position.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
As far as I know, it is illegal to own such a weapon in the UK. I know of 2 people in my hometown who did and their guns were confiscated by the police.

It is legal to own hunting weapons with a license, but hunting is also seasonal. Basically, the rule is if you can prove that you're ok to have a gun and you have a genuine purpose for it, then you can get one

That's what I mean by gun control not meaning gun removal. What does anyone need a sawn-off shotgun for? It's crazy.

Oh good...then the other poster was mistaken.

But then, back to the basic problem....the crazy people.
Here in this state a form is required with each purchase.
The form does ask if you have a history of mental problems...
As well domestic difficulties and felony records.

Over the years the state has been getting better about record keeping.

As for short barreled arms....
There are so many pistols that do the same thing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Unless we implement some kind of 'snitch' system for spotting crazies & limiting their ability to acquire guns, explosives, poisons, etc.
I'm not suggesting it, but I'm open to suggestions, since it would be of greater value than enhancing laws which don't work.

Wirey

Fartist
Unless we implement some kind of 'snitch' system for spotting crazies & limiting their ability to acquire guns, explosives, poisons, etc.
I'm not suggesting it, but I'm open to suggestions, since it would be of greater value than enhancing laws which don't work.

With that in mind, I e-mailed your profile to Bellevue. Good luck.