• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An Israeli TV attacks Christianity!

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
etesami20090219051101562.jpg

News from the Latin Patriarchate

Press Release from the

"Assembly of the Catholic Bishops in the Holy Land"

We, the members of the "Assembly of the Catholic Bishops in the Holy Land" deplore and condemn with utter dismay the repulsive attacks on our Lord Jesus Christ and on His Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary, carried out on Channel 10 of the Israeli television.

In these days, during a night show on Channel 10, a series of horrible offenses were launched against our faith and consequently against us, Christians. The show directed its attacks to the holiest figures of our Christian belief in an attempt, as the director of the show himself specifically declared, to destroy Christianism. In so doing, Channel 10 was used to desecrate the holiest figures of Christianism offending hundreds of thousands of Christian Israeli citizens and of many millions of Christians all over the world as well.

The Catholic Bishops in the Holy Land consider such programm a symptom of greater problems disturbing the society, such as intolerance, refusal to accept and respect the other and inherent hatred. More important, the Heads of Churches view this recent incident in the larger context of continuous attacks against Christians throughout Israel over the years. Only a few months ago, copies of the New Testament were publicly burnt in the yard of a synagogue in Or Yehuda. Since years, Christianity has been doing a lot to stop some manifestations of anti-semitism, and now Christians in Israel have to find themselves victimised by a low profile manifestation of anti-Christianism?

While condemning this and all other intolerant acts, we call on all concerned parties to investigate the matter and to take the necessary actions in order to put an end to such horrible desecration of our faith. It is unconceivable that such incidents have to occur in Israel which hosts some of the holiest shrines of Christianity and which rely to a great extent on pilgrimage from Christian Countries.

Therefore, we ask the Israeli people and its Authorities to take the appropriate measures against such unacceptable offense and its perpetrators. At the same time, we urge Channel 10 to acknowledge its responsibility and to officially and publicly apologise for this incident and never to allow its repetition.

We want also to express our understanding and appreciation to the deep reaction of our Christian Communities and Institutions as well as to the many reasonable representatives of Moslems and Jews who were themselves shocked and appalled and expressed their dismay and protest at this fact. Actually such programs have nothing to do with freedom of expression, art and entertainment. They can only work against national integration and harmony in our society.

We call on them all to exercise the utmost seriousness and restraint and to follow their Ecclesial Authorities in dealing with this very important and delicate matter.

Jerusalem, February 18, 2009.

His Beatitude Fouad Twal,
Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
His Beatitude Michel Sabbah, Emeritus Latin Patriarch of Jerusalem
His Excellency Elias Chacour, Greek Melkite Archbishop of Akka
His Excellency Paul Sayya, Maronite Archbishop of Haifa
His Excellency Giacinto-Boulos Marcuzzo, Latin Patriarchal Vicar / Israel
His Excellency Pierre Melki, Syrian Catholic Patriarchal Exarch
His Excellency Yousef Jules Zerey, Greek Melkite Patriarchal Exarch
His Excellency Butros Mouallem, Emeritus Greek Melkite Archbishop of Akka
His Excellency Kamal Bathish, Emeritus Auxiliary Bishop of Latin Patriarch
Fr. Pier Battista Pizzaballa, ofm, Custos of the Holy Land
Msgr. Rafael Minassian, Armenian Catholic Patriarchal Exarch
Fr. Paul Colin, Chaldean Catholic Patriarchal Exarch
Fr. Pietro Felet scj, Secretary General

Source:
attacks on our Lord Jesus Christ and on His Mother, the Blessed Virgin Mary, carried out on Channel 10

Read also:
Breaking News: Israeli TV mocks Christianity! « Pak Alert Press

AdelaideNow... Catholics outraged over Israeli TV spoof

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought this was something new, but it's not, according to the press release above.

Why they are attacking Jesus and Mary?

Is it for religious reasons or others which i'm not aware of?

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't see the problem since I believe in free speech. Besides, it was just a comedy sketch. No one had to watch it if they didn't like it.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What if there was a broadcast about bashing gays, black people, etc. Would that be ok too?

I find it amusing how people defend the rights of minorities and don't give a damn about any oppressed *majority*.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
What if there was a broadcast about bashing gays, black people, etc. Would that be ok too?

I find it amusing how people defend the rights of minorities and don't give a damn about any oppressed *majority*.
Ever seen Mad Tv?
Or Saturday Night Live?
Or Family Guy?
Or South Park?

Not to mention The Onion?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Absolutely ridiculous and juvenile. I'll tell you what the real comedy is, that people still believe Mary was a virgin, and Jesus was the son of God, people have all the right to target such superstitions and make a buffet of jokes of them, and hopefully even make some people think along the way. if this kind of superstitious and ludicrous concept would be out of reach of comedy, than that is one sad state of affairs society would be in.
although this particular comedian is not even funny according to my taste, the day that organized religion (and this was not even an attack on organized religion) would be out of reach of entertainment is truly a day we decided to go backwards in time.

Israeli comedians make fun of Jewish Israeli culture the most, but If once in a while I get this kind of added content.. *shrug*.

Now, Tashan on a more personal note, Im very curious what made you bring this to our immediate attention, while tv programs through out the Arab world portrait Jews as stereotypical murderers of prophets and drinkers of human blood, shouldnt you be worried about that much more than a lone Israeli comedian who does not even represent Israel? which brings me to the misleading topic of this thread. there was no attack by 'Israeli tv' on Christianity, there was single comedy act by one Israeli comedian about an historical (or mythological) figure.

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I would strongly disagree with it, but they have the right to free speech. People should have the liberty to speak and do as they wish as long as they're not impeding upon the rights of others in the process. Also, turnabout is fair play.

Someone would have to be pretty pathetic to be "oppressed" by a damned comedy skit. People need to grow a spine and thick skin.

Bishadi

I don't see the problem since I believe in free speech. Besides, it was just a comedy sketch. No one had to watch it if they didn't like it.

and i don't accept what the zionist imposed as law regarding 'denying' the holocaust (denying them very freedoms)

i move we create a law in america:

"if anyone denies the Gaza Holocaust, that they get deported to israel"

shall we consider my opinion....... freedom of speech...........?

Bishadi

Karl R

We, the members of the "Assembly of the Catholic Bishops in the Holy Land" deplore and condemn with utter dismay the repulsive attacks on our Lord Jesus Christ...
Jesus took three days to recover from being flogged, crucified, stabbed and killed.

I think he'll be able to bounce right back from a few comedy sketches.

a series of horrible offenses were launched against our faith and consequently against us, Christians.

Of course we're the same faith that carried out the inquisition on the jews.​

If I have to endure a "horrible offense" being launched at me, I'll choose to endure the comedy sketches every time.​

The show directed its attacks ... in an attempt, as the director of the show himself specifically declared, to destroy Christianism.
G'luck with that.​

For his next trick, the director will light a campfire in an attempt to destroy winter.​

offending hundreds of thousands of Christian Israeli citizens and of many millions of Christians all over the world as well.
Eh, so there's two billion christians in the world, and millions are (allegedly) offended. That's like ... a whole 1% of us.​

the Heads of Churches view this recent incident in the larger context of continuous attacks against Christians throughout Israel over the years. Only a few months ago, copies of the New Testament were publicly burnt in the yard of a synagogue in Or Yehuda.

They have to buy them to burn them, so that means increased sales for christian publishers.​

If I were a bishop in Israel, I would publicly thank the synagogue for financially supporting christianity.​

Christianity has been doing a lot to stop some manifestations of anti-semitism,
These efforts include the pope's recent move to bring a holocaust-denying bishop back into the church hierarchy. I'm sure the pope did it just so he could keep a closer eye on the problem.​

we ask the Israeli people and its Authorities to take the appropriate measures against such unacceptable offense and its perpetrators.

Next time, make them write funnier skits.​

Actually such programs have nothing to do with freedom of expression, art and entertainment.
True. They're much more about watching the entertaining reaction when stuffy bishops explode with self-righteous indignation.

Bishadi

If I were a bishop in Israel, I would publicly thank the synagogue for financially supporting christianity.

:slap:

now that line above has got to be the most ignorant statement i have seen on the internet in a long time

You think money can be used to buy loyalty?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bishadi

This is why we need stronger leash laws for Israeli TV's.

be nice, but they own the stations (corporations) as well imposed the centralization of broadcasting..... (no more over the air transmitting)...........

not to mention half the governing body is in their pocket :sad:

Karl R

If I were a bishop in Israel, I would publicly thank the synagogue for financially supporting christianity.
:slap:

now that line above has got to be the most ignorant statement i have seen on the internet in a long time

You think money can be used to buy loyalty?

what a sick mind you have
I have a mind that's sick enough to understand human motivation. If someone burns new testaments (or does anything else) in an attempt to offend me, and I get offended, THEY WIN !!

If they try to offend me, and I politely thank them for being helpful, THEY'LL STOP doing whatever it was that I found offensive.

So when someone is trying to offend you, you have a clear choice: would you rather act offended, or would you rather get them to stop?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I have seen Jesus made fun of some many times and in so many ways that I think I am desensitized by those kinds of things. It is a shame that people see a need to mock other people's religious icons. You don't have to believe in them but I think it is only fair that people accept the fact that different people have different views.

boo hoo hoo.

After all the things which Catholics have done to the Jewish people, they have no right to complain over a little comedy sketch. This is an issue of freedom of speech and freedom of the press.

This is the 21st century. We respect human rights. Just because Christians choose to worship the zombie sky fairy aka Jesus does not give them extra right to override the rights of the Jewish people.