• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

An unreasonable debate...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Because that's a subject still heavily debated within the scientific community.

Where have I ever said that it couldn't be possible? Evolution says no such thing.

It isn't. Evolution says nothing whatsoever about the existence of God, only that life diversifies over time through natural means.

Seems God takes credit for a lot of things......'Creator'.

And having that much ability, how then to argue He cannot tweak His creation as He pleases?

Parsimony

Oh really?

So how did the first living organisms get here and how did they bring all other living things into existence?
There is currently no scientifically-verified proof of how life first arrived on Earth. Evolution, however, is compatible with any mechanism that can successfully produce life. If any source of life will do, then evolution is not dependent upon any one model of life's origin.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Oh really?
Yes really.
But you have already been told the truth of it, so one wonders why all the unnecessary drama...

So how did the first living organisms get here and how did they bring all other living things into existence?

That is addressed by abiogenesis.

But again, you have already been told this.

Why all the unneeded drama?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
so then why all the debate about where life came from? Why can't it be possible that God created all the different types of plants and animals we see?

Why is this belief so challenged by evolutionists??

Because you creationists repeated attack evolution with the false impression that proving evolution wrong will somehow validate creation.

It won't, but that fact seems to not matter to creationists.

outhouse

Atheistically
I guess when you have no evidence of your own, you attack FACTS with methodology you wont apply to yourself.

rusra02

Premium Member
The Bible also says that plants were created before the Sun, and that sea animals were created after land plants (they weren't).

No, the Bible doesn't say that plants were created before the sun. Yes, it does say sea creatures were created after land plants. They were.

rusra02

Premium Member
I'm saying I've never witnessed someone who opposed it who didn't have religious motivations behind it. Nor have I actually heard any arguments that actually posed problems against ToE.

I'm sure there is someone out there who doesn't think god created the universe who also has problems with evolution. But the overwhelming vast majority and I would say it would be correct to say its functionally unanimous that all scientists that oppose evolution are funded by things like the Christian science association or the Hermitage foundation.

Wow, are you sure that "all scientists that oppose evolution are funded by things like the Christian science association or the Hermitage foundation"? I took the bait and googled "atheists who oppose evolution". Perhaps you should do this.

Alceste

Vagabond
Wow, are you sure that "all scientists that oppose evolution are funded by things like the Christian science association or the Hermitage foundation"? I took the bait and googled "atheists who oppose evolution". Perhaps you should do this.

I took your bait and didn't find anything but religious creationists (a redundant pairing of terms, IMO) pretending debate within the scientific community about specific details of evolution means some biologists reject evolution.

That's not what it means. It means they all accept evolution, but don't agree on some of the niggly details.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, the Bible doen'st say that plants were created before the sun.
According to Genesis, land plants were created on the third day and the sun and moon were created on the fourth.

Yes, it does say sea creatures were created after land plants. They were.
The first aquatic animals arose about 600 million years ago. Fish arose about 500 million years ago.

The first land plants didn't arise until about 450 million years ago. Fruit-bearing trees (specifically mentioned in Genesis) really didn't start flourishing until the beginning of the Tertiary period, 66 million years ago.

For fruit trees specifically, Genesis got the order wrong by half a billion years.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
According to Genesis, land plants were created on the third day and the sun and moon were created on the fourth.

The first aquatic animals arose about 600 million years ago. Fish arose about 500 million years ago.

The first land plants didn't arise until about 450 million years ago. Fruit-bearing trees (specifically mentioned in Genesis) really didn't start flourishing until the beginning of the Tertiary period, 66 million years ago.

For fruit trees specifically, Genesis got the order wrong by half a billion years.

Green life could have been made BEFORE this particular sun and moon.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Green life could have been made BEFORE this particular sun and moon.

And when you find a single shred of evidence that the Earth has ever had a sun and moon other than the one we have now (edit: and refute the boatloads of evidence that we've never had any others), you might be on to something.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And when you find a single shred of evidence that the Earth has ever had a sun and moon other than the one we have now (edit: and refute the boatloads of evidence that we've never had any others), you might be on to something.

It's a large universe.
I won't assume this tiny speck is the first place to have life on it.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
So your answer to the inconsistencies between Genesis and reality is to assume that Genesis was describing some other planet?

Well...calling the dry land 'Earth'.....would be a distinction over the 'firmament' otherwise preceding.
But that need not be this particular......earth.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The firmament was a term for the solid dome of the sky.

I've seen the drawing in an old bible.

I don't believe that.....I don't think you do either.

The firmament (as I see it) was the formation of element not involved in the previous light emission.

The basic elements fuse......"Let there be light!"

The 'firm stuff' needs to be somewhat cooler.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Because you creationists repeated attack evolution with the false impression that proving evolution wrong will somehow validate creation.

It won't, but that fact seems to not matter to creationists.

well honestly, i dont need something physical to prove evolution wrong because our own instincts already do that. We are programmed to believe in the divine....if the universe wants me to believe in the divine, then i'll follow that instinct and believe. The universe has been around a lot longer then the theory of evolution....i think it knows what its talking about. ;)

McBell

Admiral Obvious
well honestly, i dont need something physical to prove evolution wrong because our own instincts already do that.
Yet you started a thread trying to do just that?
Seems you are confused.

We are programmed to believe in the divine....
Bold empty claim.
Care to evidence it or is it merely another ratification?

if the universe wants me to believe in the divine, then i'll follow that instinct and believe. The universe has been around a lot longer then the theory of evolution....i think it knows what its talking about. ;)

Perhaps the universe does know what it is talking.
One cannot help but wonder if you are listening or merely ratifying your beliefs.