• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And Now For The Comedy Thread Section....Hillary Now Blames Bernie For Her Loss

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
You just bumped an inactive thread to complain about it being active?
I browse based on most recently active threads, in politics this was number two and has gotten decent attention. I just find it amusing the same folks who whine about the left not letting things go are the same ones beating this dead horse. We don't talk about other failed candidates like this, do we? Romney, McCain, Gore, etc.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I browse based on most recently active threads, in politics this was number two and has gotten decent attention. I just find it amusing the same folks who whine about the left not letting things go are the same ones beating this dead horse. We don't talk about other failed candidates like this, do we? Romney, McCain, Gore, etc.
I wuz just yanking your chain....& you go & get all serious.
You've been away too long.
Besides your failed candidate is working hard to stay in the news.

Interesting....her book cover poses a question & then answers it.
This is highly unusual.
th

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I wuz just yanking your chain....& you go & get all serious.
You've been away too long.
Besides your failed candidate is working hard to stay in the news.

Interesting....her book cover poses a question & then answers it.
This is highly unusual.
th
Her perspective is important because she knows best in regards to how it all happened. There no better person to tell that side of the story.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Her perspective is important because she knows best in regards to how it all happened. There no better person to tell that side of the story.
And her doing so makes her a current topic.
The gift that keeps on giving.

Underhill

That's difficult for me to believe since I don't see any obvious conflicts of interest with Russia right now. I don't see any border/territorial disputes with Russia, nor does it appear that Russia has any designs on attacking us. They don't even appear to be any economic competition either (not as much as China or Japan might be).

The only disputes we have with Russia are those conjured up in the imaginations of US policymakers - the kind who have been hellbent on wanting war with Russia. The only interests Russians would have been working against (if they are guilty of anything) would be the interests of US warmongers. I don't consider that these warmongers have America's best interests at heart.

You need to rethink this. We have some large disputes at work in the northern reaches with territorial disputes over oil brewing between Russia and the US and Canada. They invaded the sovereign country of Ukraine who we were partnered with. I don't want war with Russia, but we are certainly not friendly with them, or anything close to it.

It may or may not be a "bunch of nonsense," but my point is, if we Americans are so worried about the "wiles of foreign influence," then we should have supported policies which reflect that. Neither the left nor the right have worked towards anything in that regard; they've been doing just the opposite since WW2.

Yes, we should have passed a law to deal with problems that haven't cropped up yet. Sure, we do that all the time. *boggle

But you are half right. We certainly should pass such laws now.

It's called "risk management."

Sure, and we manage what we see as a major risk. This, we obviously didn't.

"Naive" might also describe those who think that the sky is falling if there are some people who don't believe in climate change. "Naive" might also characterize those who actually believe that something can be done about it. With a culture dedicated to rampant consumerism and an economic system that absolutely depends on it (thanks to that wonderful "globalism" that so many on both sides love so much), how ready will Americans be when they're called upon to reduce their consumption of energy and other products?

We could be ready. Europe has done a vastly better job of preparing without much, if any, detriment to their standards of living.

I don't know if anything can be done to stop climate change. But doing something about it also includes planning for the impact, whether we can slow it or not. Something we cannot do if more than half the politicians in Washington believe they know better than 99% of climate scientist.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You need to rethink this. We have some large disputes at work in the northern reaches with territorial disputes over oil brewing between Russia and the US and Canada.

That's something that can be worked out over time. Other countries also have a stake in the Arctic region, including countries we're allied with.

They invaded the sovereign country of Ukraine who we were partnered with. I don't want war with Russia, but we are certainly not friendly with them, or anything close to it.

They have a border dispute with Ukraine - a country with which they have a long history. I don't think we should be interfering in that, frankly. That would be analogous to taking sides with Ireland against Britain over the Northern Ireland dispute. It's not our business.

Besides, the Russians have been seeing former Soviet Republics and allies joining NATO, which they see as an encroachment upon their security. There are two sides to every story, and they have a point of view, too. Imagine if the situation was reversed, like if Canada wanted to join the Warsaw Pact. We would balk over that, too. We've invaded sovereign countries in our own region when we felt threatened, such as Panama and Grenada (although there have been others).

It doesn't mean that we're "friendly" with Russia, but I don't think we're in any position to judge them or assume the worst about them merely because they engage in many of the same activities which we and our allies have engaged in.

Yes, we should have passed a law to deal with problems that haven't cropped up yet. Sure, we do that all the time. *boggle

But you are half right. We certainly should pass such laws now.

But the point you keep ignoring is that such problems have come up. And since George Washington warned about such things over 200 years ago, no one can claim that this is something "brand new" that no one ever thought of before.

The problem we seem to have right now is one of arrogance and overconfidence. It's not that we haven't conceived of these possibilities, but as a country, we've been far too conceited in believing that "it could never happen here."

Even historically, we can find the same mentality. For example, there were a few military experts who warned of the possibility that Pearl Harbor could be attacked from the air, but they were ridiculed and disbelieved because "it never happened before." I've seen this mentality all too often.

Sure, and we manage what we see as a major risk. This, we obviously didn't.

Actually, guarding against computer hacking has been very much a major risk. We've known this since the Cold War. But again, the same culture of arrogance and overconfidence has permeated the IT crowd into believing that they're such geniuses and their software is perfect and their systems are sooooo secure that no one could ever break through.

Other than the hacking, the other complaints and risks seem to revolve around propaganda and "fake news," which existed long before the computer age and before hacking was even an issue. They called it "yellow journalism" in previous eras, but either way, the best way to manage such a risk would have been to offer legitimate alternatives to the public so they could be informed in an objective and non-biased way.

But there are larger implications here when one suggests that just because someone is "foreign," it should be assumed that they do not have America's best interests at heart. This would suggest a perception of a much greater risk.

We could be ready. Europe has done a vastly better job of preparing without much, if any, detriment to their standards of living.

Perhaps. One of the problems here in America is that in the early days of the automobile, gas and oil were cheap and plentiful in America. And we Americans fell in love with these big, gas-guzzling machines - and we kept demanding faster, more luxurious cars and big superhighways from coast to coast. As a result, that's where our emphasis has been. Europe has made passenger rail and public transportation a higher priority, whereas we've focused more on roads and highways.

This is especially true out in many western cities which experienced most of their growth after the invention of the automobile. A city like Los Angeles is such that you can't really depend on public transportation; you have to have a car.

I don't know if anything can be done to stop climate change. But doing something about it also includes planning for the impact, whether we can slow it or not. Something we cannot do if more than half the politicians in Washington believe they know better than 99% of climate scientist.

This is why I think it seems more a symbolic issue than anything else. Sure, the politicians can say that they believe in climate change and even get the public to believe that they're actually doing something about it. But beyond that, it will require spending money and telling the public some things they may not want to hear.
Carter found that out back when he wanted to encourage reductions in energy usage by proposing an increase in the fuel tax, but nobody wanted it - even his fellow Democrats. So, that idea fizzled out in a hurry.
The only way to slow it down is to reduce consumption of carbon-based fuels. But it would require a lot of changes and some major restructuring on how we do things. That's why there's so much resistance, since we're talking about some major changes on the horizon. A lot of people are happy with the way things are; they are satisfied with the American political and economic system (even if they don't like Trump). They've never seen any reason to change, probably because they never thought of any risks or potential problems that hadn't cropped up yet - but were potential risks just the same.

It's just as with climate change. It exists and is very real, but from the layman's point of view, the problem "hasn't cropped up yet." People don't see it as a problem because their everyday lives haven't really been hampered or severely affected by it. The supermarkets are still fully stocked, the lights still come on, the phones still work, the internet still works. It's not something that's terribly obvious to the average person, not like a hurricane would be.

Underhill

That's something that can be worked out over time. Other countries also have a stake in the Arctic region, including countries we're allied with.

They have a border dispute with Ukraine - a country with which they have a long history. I don't think we should be interfering in that, frankly. That would be analogous to taking sides with Ireland against Britain over the Northern Ireland dispute. It's not our business.

Besides, the Russians have been seeing former Soviet Republics and allies joining NATO, which they see as an encroachment upon their security. There are two sides to every story, and they have a point of view, too. Imagine if the situation was reversed, like if Canada wanted to join the Warsaw Pact. We would balk over that, too. We've invaded sovereign countries in our own region when we felt threatened, such as Panama and Grenada (although there have been others).

It doesn't mean that we're "friendly" with Russia, but I don't think we're in any position to judge them or assume the worst about them merely because they engage in many of the same activities which we and our allies have engaged in.

Okay but the notion that we should just write their interference off as nonsense because they probably aren't working for their own interest is still monumentally insane.

But the point you keep ignoring is that such problems have come up. And since George Washington warned about such things over 200 years ago, no one can claim that this is something "brand new" that no one ever thought of before.

The problem we seem to have right now is one of arrogance and overconfidence. It's not that we haven't conceived of these possibilities, but as a country, we've been far too conceited in believing that "it could never happen here."

Even historically, we can find the same mentality. For example, there were a few military experts who warned of the possibility that Pearl Harbor could be attacked from the air, but they were ridiculed and disbelieved because "it never happened before." I've seen this mentality all too often.

Perhaps, but that doesn't change reality. We weren't prepared because most Americans didn't see this as a problem. Like it or not. Agree with them or not. It's a democracy. Our government doesn't tend to work on anything until either someone with a lot of cash cares, or a lot of voters care. In this case, neither happened.

Actually, guarding against computer hacking has been very much a major risk. We've known this since the Cold War. But again, the same culture of arrogance and overconfidence has permeated the IT crowd into believing that they're such geniuses and their software is perfect and their systems are sooooo secure that no one could ever break through.

Other than the hacking, the other complaints and risks seem to revolve around propaganda and "fake news," which existed long before the computer age and before hacking was even an issue. They called it "yellow journalism" in previous eras, but either way, the best way to manage such a risk would have been to offer legitimate alternatives to the public so they could be informed in an objective and non-biased way.

But there are larger implications here when one suggests that just because someone is "foreign," it should be assumed that they do not have America's best interests at heart. This would suggest a perception of a much greater risk.

Which there is. Russia may not be our sworn enemy. But they do have interest contrary to our own. You have given us a few of your own when you talk about NATO. Hacking has always been an issue, yes. But if you know anything about the subject, in most cases with enough resources, security goes out the window. So when talking about security with a foreign power, it is a supreme challenge for anyone without massive resources to throw at security.

Perhaps. One of the problems here in America is that in the early days of the automobile, gas and oil were cheap and plentiful in America. And we Americans fell in love with these big, gas-guzzling machines - and we kept demanding faster, more luxurious cars and big superhighways from coast to coast. As a result, that's where our emphasis has been. Europe has made passenger rail and public transportation a higher priority, whereas we've focused more on roads and highways.

This is especially true out in many western cities which experienced most of their growth after the invention of the automobile. A city like Los Angeles is such that you can't really depend on public transportation; you have to have a car.

There are other examples as well but yes, that is part of it. As for Los Angeles, of course you could get by with a car if the infrastructure was in place. It just isn't there. There are plenty of massive cities around the globe where people do not depend on cars nearly as exclusively as we do when in Los Angeles. It was a choice we made to live that way.

This is why I think it seems more a symbolic issue than anything else. Sure, the politicians can say that they believe in climate change and even get the public to believe that they're actually doing something about it. But beyond that, it will require spending money and telling the public some things they may not want to hear.
Carter found that out back when he wanted to encourage reductions in energy usage by proposing an increase in the fuel tax, but nobody wanted it - even his fellow Democrats. So, that idea fizzled out in a hurry.
The only way to slow it down is to reduce consumption of carbon-based fuels. But it would require a lot of changes and some major restructuring on how we do things. That's why there's so much resistance, since we're talking about some major changes on the horizon. A lot of people are happy with the way things are; they are satisfied with the American political and economic system (even if they don't like Trump). They've never seen any reason to change, probably because they never thought of any risks or potential problems that hadn't cropped up yet - but were potential risks just the same.

It's just as with climate change. It exists and is very real, but from the layman's point of view, the problem "hasn't cropped up yet." People don't see it as a problem because their everyday lives haven't really been hampered or severely affected by it. The supermarkets are still fully stocked, the lights still come on, the phones still work, the internet still works. It's not something that's terribly obvious to the average person, not like a hurricane would be.

This is where good government gets involved (as they did in Europe). If Carter has been successful with his federal fuel tax, I suspect that alone would have been the catalyst needed for massive change.

Americans could change, but it would require the mentality of WW2 where the politicians got together and asked the country for support as a whole, and didn't spend their time fighting like spoiled children in support of corporate donors.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay but the notion that we should just write their interference off as nonsense because they probably aren't working for their own interest is still monumentally insane.

I never said they weren't working for their interests, but even that can be rather murky. Does Putin work for Putin's interests or for Russian interests? Does Trump work for Trump's interests or American interests? (These are questions which should be asked about every leader, actually.)

Perhaps, but that doesn't change reality. We weren't prepared because most Americans didn't see this as a problem. Like it or not. Agree with them or not. It's a democracy. Our government doesn't tend to work on anything until either someone with a lot of cash cares, or a lot of voters care. In this case, neither happened.

That's all well and good, but that also does not change the reality that, if most Americans didn't see this as a problem, then shame on those Americans. I see nothing wrong with pointing this out. I realize it may be politically incorrect to "blame the victim," but in this case, I think it's warranted. Democracy or not, if our leadership and electorate are too stupid to recognize difficulties and challenges which face them, then we deserve what we get. No use crying about it or trying to find a scapegoat to blame.

Which there is.

Well, it depends on what we're talking about when we say "foreign influence." Are we talking about any foreign influence, including that of countries like Canada or Britain? Or are deciding to pick and choose which foreign countries are okay and which ones are not?

Russia may not be our sworn enemy. But they do have interest contrary to our own. You have given us a few of your own when you talk about NATO.

Yes, although it doesn't have to be this way. I think that we wasted a golden opportunity to build a closer, lasting friendship with Russia just at the end of the Cold War. Historically, Russia's security interests have always been defensive in nature. Other than that, their main objectives have been access to the sea (preferably with year-round ice-free seaports) and retaking Constantinople for Orthodoxy (although that's kind of a latent, "inactive" objective which hasn't really come up since Tsarist times).

Their relationship with Ukraine is complicated because the history of Russia actually begins in the region now known as "Ukraine." I don't want to bore you with a long history lesson, but suffice it to say, it would be far better to let them resolve this issue between themselves. It's not up to us to go over there and tell Russians or Ukrainians who they are or whose land belongs to whom.

America's interests, historically, have revolved around continued enforcement of the Monroe Doctrine, as well as Freedom of the Seas (mainly for commerce). These interests were somewhat modified and altered as US interests became more intricately tied with the interests of Western Europe. US "interests" also became even more complicated as we aligned our interests with the interests of any government deemed part of the "free" (aka "non-communist") world. Our interests then became more ideological than practical.

So, I think we, as a country, need to give far better clarity and reason as to what our "interests" actually are in this day and age. That might be an interesting topic for a new thread.

Hacking has always been an issue, yes. But if you know anything about the subject, in most cases with enough resources, security goes out the window. So when talking about security with a foreign power, it is a supreme challenge for anyone without massive resources to throw at security.

I suppose so. I remember it was a thing back when the movie Wargames came out over three decades ago. The senior programmer kept saying "There's no way some kid can break into our system" and naturally assumed he was working with someone else. But then there have been real life cases of mere teenagers hacking into some system.

Even Russian hackers aren't all that new to the scene either; they've been in the news for quite some time, long before any of this.

As far as what it takes to make sure some of the more critical systems be kept secure, I don't doubt that it takes massive resources and that it's a supreme challenge. But if the Russians are beating us at that game, then it's something we should take a closer look at. Maybe if we had been working to shore up our own security rather than doing things like hacking into Angela Merkel's cellphone, maybe it wouldn't have happened at all.

There are other examples as well but yes, that is part of it. As for Los Angeles, of course you could get by with a car if the infrastructure was in place. It just isn't there. There are plenty of massive cities around the globe where people do not depend on cars nearly as exclusively as we do when in Los Angeles. It was a choice we made to live that way.

Exactly, and now we're living with the consequences of that choice.

But it's not just L.A. More and more people have been moving out of the cities, and even out of established suburbs to housing developments further away from major city centers ("exurbs," I think they're called), to which residents from those areas have to commute by car. People don't really want to live in cities or even suburbs if they can afford not to. But they still want to live close enough to the city, within reasonable driving distance. This is how more and more sprawl takes place.

This is where good government gets involved (as they did in Europe). If Carter has been successful with his federal fuel tax, I suspect that alone would have been the catalyst needed for massive change.

Probably so. The energy crisis of the 70s should have served as a wake-up call, which it did briefly, but somehow we went back to sleep.

Americans could change, but it would require the mentality of WW2 where the politicians got together and asked the country for support as a whole, and didn't spend their time fighting like spoiled children in support of corporate donors.

And this points up the other major problem with the political system - money rules over all. We speak of wanting to guard against foreign interference in our election process, but foreigners have money too. And they're certainly willing to spend it to try to influence our politics. Sometimes it's difficult to tell just where the money is coming from, since there's so much of it going into these political campaigns. We all hope it's from legitimate and legal sources, but trying to sift all that out is even more difficult than finding computer hackers.

Americans have known about this as well, at least in theory. Money buys influence. Money buys elections. Most people seem to tacitly accept this, as they have done for many decades at least. Money buys advertising and TV time (aka "propaganda"), and it's viewed as a legitimate expression of free speech. This means that the more money you have, the more freedom of speech you get. This is what we have accepted, and as such, we are now faced with the consequences of what we have accepted.

You're right. The politicians are squabbling like spoiled children, and what's worse is that they're doing so on a sinking ship.

As for the general public, we made our own bed. We made all these choices, whether as consumers or voters. Either we start making smarter choices, or we might face even worse consequences in the future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In the news....
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-reviews-hillary-clintons-new-book/668604001/
Amazon was on the defensive end this week after receiving criticism for deleting negative reviews of Hillary Clinton's new book.

The online retail giant acknowledged its decision to remove one-star reviews of Clinton's memoir, What Happened, claiming they have the right to uphold reviews from legitimate customers.
Amazon's owner, Jeff Bezos, also owns The Washington Post, which sided with Hillary against Donald.

Another source....
Amazon Accused of Slashing Over 900 Negative Reviews of Hillary’s Book

esmith

Veteran Member
In the news....
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-reviews-hillary-clintons-new-book/668604001/

Amazon's owner, Jeff Bezos, also owns The Washington Post, which sided with Hillary against Donald.

Another source....
Amazon Accused of Slashing Over 900 Negative Reviews of Hillary’s Book
Uhmmm seems someone doesn't like negative reviews about their darling. It would seem that this is a little bit of censorship at the business level, this goes for you to Google. .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Uhmmm seems someone doesn't like negative reviews about their darling. It would seem that this is a little bit of censorship at the business level, this goes for you to Google. .
From what I've read, Amazon deleted negative reviews even when the reviewer
was a verified purchaser. Harry Potter books didn't get this special service.
Amazon violates its own stated policies when politically useful, eh?

esmith

Veteran Member
From what I've read, Amazon deleted negative reviews even when the reviewer
was a verified purchaser. Harry Potter books didn't get this special service.
Amazon violates its own stated policies when politically useful, eh?
Seems that way doesn't it.
Also when I want a link to an article I use Google to search for a source, the results never come back with Fox as as source unless I ask for Fox specifically, this also occurs if you use Bing. Little more corporate filtering it seems.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Seems that way doesn't it.
Also when I want a link to an article I use Google to search for a source, the results never come back with Fox as as source unless I ask for Fox specifically, this also occurs if you use Bing. Little more corporate filtering it seems.
That's because there are more accurate news sources than Fox. Fox is conservative entertainment, not really news.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

esmith

Veteran Member
That's because there are more accurate news sources than Fox. Fox is conservative entertainment, not really news.
Sorry Charlie.
Try searching Google for the following story:
Protesters heckle Nancy Pelosi
What do you get.
Then add CNN or Fox to the beginning as such: Fox protesters heckle Nancy Pelosi or CNN protesters heckle Nancy Pelosi.
Want to chance your story or just ignore as usual.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Sorry Charlie.
Try searching Google for the following story:
Protesters heckle Nancy Pelosi
What do you get.
Then add CNN or Fox to the beginning as such: Fox protesters heckle Nancy Pelosi or CNN protesters heckle Nancy Pelosi.
Want to chance your story or just ignore as usual.
Why would I change my story on GOP elitist media? You shouldn't trust them if I were you. I watch Fox more than anything, it's very easy to tell differences between entertainment and journalistic outlets. Language, specific words, tone, etc. Only Fox is king of BS mountain.