• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And prices keep going up

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'll ask you the same: what is it that you want the government to do? Set prices on all consumer goods and try to force producers, importers, wholesalers and retailers to obey? And when those producers, importers, wholesalers and retailers go out of business, do you think the government should take on all those tasks?

Do you believe in markets? Do you believe in free markets? Or do you think governments should dictate what products should be available, in what quantity and at what price?
Nope and nope and whatever. I am mainly just saying Lord Have Mercy.

Kathryn

I doubt this is news to anybody but far as I can tell all grocery stores and supermarkets in America have their own app now with a bunch of exclusive deals and digital coupons.

I save a boat load by taking advantage of those. I don't usually go to the store without first checking to see if there are any new coupons I can use.

I don't keep track all that closely but I would guess that I typically save at least 10% maybe 15% by using these coupons. Sometimes it's more like 25 or even 40%.

Most stores also have 'rewards' programs where they give you points based on how much you spend over time. Sometimes you can redeem these for free groceries or money off your bill. It's well worth it too.

At a conservative guess I would say that over the long run I'm probably saving 20% on my grocery bill. With that going for you 5% inflation doesn't seem like much of a big deal.
I do that but it's not five percent inflation.

We Never Know

No Slack
Surely!
Here in Brazil, we don't work for hourly wages (or daily wages if it is not a formal job). We work for monthly wages. The minimum monthly wage is federal and it is at R$ 1412.

$1 = roughly R$5.

A regular federal minimum wage worker in the USA, without the conversion, earns about the same ammount of money as a brazilian. With the conversion though, they earn about 5 times more.

The other poster mentioning paying 14$ for Wendy's combo. We don't have Wendy here but as a frame of comparison, a regular Big Mac meal here in Rio de Janeiro (since the size got smaller over time I am going to call it a small hamburguer too) costs about R$28. In other words, the brazilian would have to work twice as many hours to be able to afford it.

He also mentioned paying $10 on 12 coke cans, whereas a brazilian here would have to pay like R$4 per can (we generally buy them in bottles since they are much cheaper this way).

And that's for ordinary products. Eletronics are much more expensive here.

I'm not following you. Its late so....

You said. "The other poster mentioning paying 14$ for Wendy's combo. We don't have Wendy here but as a frame of comparison, a regular Big Mac meal here in Rio de Janeiro (since the size got smaller over time I am going to call it a small hamburguer too) costs about R$28. In other words, the brazilian would have to work twice as many hours to be able to afford it."

So we have $14 and R$28

$1 = roughly R$5.

$14 x R$5 = R$70

So shouldn't a $14 meal cost roughly R$70 instead of R$28 at that rate?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't do fast food ever but I do drink my coffee with creamer. Lord have mercy, I guess I am going straight to hell.
Well, God might have been willing to look the other way if it weren't for the fact that you're from Texas.

Given that you are, you have no excuse.

Kathryn

Really? Wonder who I have you confused with. :p

Oh well, sorry.
I don't know. I lived there for many years but I am not from there and I don't live there anymore for that matter.

I've also never claimed to be from there.

Kathryn

And you probably do not have bikini baristas where you live either.

Or you could support your claim.
Sigh. Dang it (and no, we don't have bikini baristas where I live and they wouldn't be a draw to me anyway).

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I repeat. There is no such thing as unskilled labor.

All work takes some degree of skill. Not the same skills. But skill nonetheless.

Unless you're equating "skilled" w/ college degrees, vocational school completers, or tradespersons. Which isn't what I think of.