• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

And the name of the new party is ...

Are we witnessing the waning days of the 2-Party system?

• Yes

• No

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It will remain 2-party until we get rid of "first past the post" voting. This is also known as "winner takes all". As long as this is how votes are counted and winners are determined, we will inevitably collapse into a two-party system.

Midnight Rain

As the Republicans become more and more the party of FUDDD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, Deception & Distortion) they are being ripped apart from the insides. I can see the Tea Party leaving them for good over Drumpf not being nominated. While this primary season seems to be ripping the Republicans apart, exit polls indicate that Democrats feel that it has energized their party. http://www.latimes.com/nation/polit...rk-primary-trailguide-04192016-htmlstory.html
Its possible we are seeing the end of a 2 party system. But it is also possible people will be dumb lil ****s like always and go right back to it next election. Or worse this election. The United Progressive party is gaining new life. It may even encompass the green party. If Bernie chooses to run as a 3rd party candidate (if he is to fail to get the nomination) I think that would be the right move for him to go to. Not just "independent" but "united Progressive party". Libertarians are always a small faction but growing in popularity in recent years. My hope is that the congressional fights get interesting. I don't think so since most of the key swing spots that aren't already decided are bought and paid for.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
It will remain 2-party until we get rid of "first past the post" voting. This is also known as "winner takes all". As long as this is how votes are counted and winners are determined, we will inevitably collapse into a two-party system.

Interestingly (maybe?) we have the opposite issue here in Australia with a Preference based system allowing very small parties with negligible support to actually gain a seat in Parliament due to preference deals with other minor parties, etc.
So we have the uniquely Australian ridiculousness of this... (http://www.australianmotoringenthusiastparty.org.au/)

It's not generally an issue, but in situations where the House is balanced between the 2 major parties (or more accurately, one major party, and a very longstanding coalition of 2 other parties) the Greens (who are a legit, if small party) and these tiny independents (who are not really legit) end up holding the balance of power and have an inordinate influence on passing of legislation.

Not saying I want to change our system, necessarily, just flagging that there is no perfect system.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Interestingly (maybe?) we have the opposite issue here in Australia with a Preference based system allowing very small parties with negligible support to actually gain a seat in Parliament due to preference deals with other minor parties, etc.
So we have the uniquely Australian ridiculousness of this... (http://www.australianmotoringenthusiastparty.org.au/)

It's not generally an issue, but in situations where the House is balanced between the 2 major parties (or more accurately, one major party, and a very longstanding coalition of 2 other parties) the Greens (who are a legit, if small party) and these tiny independents (who are not really legit) end up holding the balance of power and have an inordinate influence on passing of legislation.

Not saying I want to change our system, necessarily, just flagging that there is no perfect system.
I think I would prefer to have small parties like the motoring enthusiasts and the Very Silly Party to help keep the excesses of the larger parties in line. The win-lose, either/or alternatives we have here in the USistanonia is unbalanced, and has been for decades now. Polarization of the parties has not been a good thing.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I think I would prefer to have small parties like the motoring enthusiasts and the Very Silly Party to help keep the excesses of the larger parties in line. The win-lose, either/or alternatives we have here in the USistanonia is unbalanced, and has been for decades now. Polarization of the parties has not been a good thing.

No, I imagine not. The problem is that in allowing in legitimate third parties (and we've generally had some, even if small, such as the Democrats back in the day, and the Greens now...heck, even Family First is legit, if assclowns imho) you also allow in parties which are basically flat out problematic.
But it might very well be that it's better to have our problem than yours.

I also lived in Papua New Guinea where a number of similar sized parties competed for government. Let's just say minority governments are not fun. One party crosses the floor, and a new election has to be called. Yuck.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No, I imagine not. The problem is that in allowing in legitimate third parties (and we've generally had some, even if small, such as the Democrats back in the day, and the Greens now...heck, even Family First is legit, if assclowns imho) you also allow in parties which are basically flat out problematic.
But it might very well be that it's better to have our problem than yours.

I also lived in Papua New Guinea where a number of similar sized parties competed for government. Let's just say minority governments are not fun. One party crosses the floor, and a new election has to be called. Yuck.
"The ills of democracy are cured by more democracy"

Unfortunately, it seems that many people (myself included) don't want to put in the necessary level of effort to ensure that democracy functions well--and I don't think democracy should ever function particularly "smoothly" imo

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
"The ills of democracy are cured by more democracy"

Unfortunately, it seems that many people (myself included) don't want to put in the necessary level of effort to ensure that democracy functions well--and I don't think democracy should ever function particularly "smoothly" imo

True enough.
Even working out which form of 'democracy' is the best of a bad bunch is a challenge, and near as I can tell democracy has always been messy and flawed.
Perhaps not as flawed as some other forms of government I could name though...

*shrugs*

It would really be best for all if a benevolent dictatorship of me was declared.
Benevolent-ish, anyway.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
True enough.
Even working out which form of 'democracy' is the best of a bad bunch is a challenge, and near as I can tell democracy has always been messy and flawed.
Perhaps not as flawed as some other forms of government I could name though...

*shrugs*

It would really be best for all if a benevolent dictatorship of me was declared.
Benevolent-ish, anyway.
See, that's the problem...it would start out "ish" and would go downhill from there...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Perot and Nader I don't think even ran in a traditional party.
Nader is primarily green, though he has affiliated with other Leftist groups. Perot made his own party. So it just depends on what is meant by tradition. Traditional in the sense they are an organized political party, but not in regards to American politics where we've typically only had of them, with occasional shifts happening in both parties.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Nader is primarily green, though he has affiliated with other Leftist groups. Perot made his own party. So it just depends on what is meant by tradition. Traditional in the sense they are an organized political party, but not in regards to American politics where we've typically only had of them, with occasional shifts happening in both parties.
I meant to say 'major' parties or I could have just specified Republican and Democratic parties. My point was they didn't start a third only after first failing in the Republican or Democratic primary process.

Midnight Rain

Where? References?
Its currently a shift in mentality. Many independents are rallying behind the idea of this new party (well old party as it has existed and died twice before) as well as more progressive democrats. Several social media outlooks have been exploding around it. Root around and you'll find stuff.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Its currently a shift in mentality. Many independents are rallying behind the idea of this new party (well old party as it has existed and died twice before) as well as more progressive democrats. Several social media outlooks have been exploding around it. Root around and you'll find stuff.
I wouldn't hold your breath if I were you. I suspect that much will depend on the fate of the Brand New Congress movement (which doesn't particularly excite me).

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
You mean the Flying Purple Spaghetti Monster Party??? :D :D :D I believe in him as much as I believe in a presently existing viable third party.
I can't just let this post pass by without saying something! :D

All Hail His Noodly Goodness!

{Pasta Be Upon Y'all}