• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answers these questions to see if you are a Good Person

Man of Faith

Have you ever lied?
Have you ever stolen anything?
Have you ever lusted after another person?
Have you ever coveted something owned by another person?
Have you ever used God’s name in vain?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Who hasn't?
Who hasn't?
Who hasn't?
Who hasn't? (How is this different from stealing?)
Who hasn't?

If this is your determination of the subjective word "good", then everyone is going to be an ********** to you.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever lied?

• I would be lying if I said that I never did, but I try my best to tell the truth, even when it hurts.

• No... not that I recall, anyhow.

• Definitely. Lust is an inherent human trait; who hasn't lusted after another person at least a few times in their life? ;)

• I'm not sure about using the word 'coveted' here now that I looked it up again to be absolutely sure what I'm answering. I have desired things that other people had, but that doesn't mean that I envied them or wished that they lost those things in question.

• I don't know what qualifies as "using God's name in vain," so I don't think I can answer this question accurately. I guess I wouldn't be considered an 'irreverent' person by most people when it comes to using God's name, though.

I don't see how some of those define who a "good" person is, though — I don't think the criteria have to be that black-&-white.

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Have you ever lied?
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

So, what are my results?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Have you ever lied?

Yes to all of them.

Do you have ways to justify or reason away your behavior? :)

I'd consider some to be and some to not be justified.

That said, your questions above and this second question doesn't actually indicate much. Are you saying that a good person never does any of those things?

Or, that if someone does those things, even once in their lives, they are no longer a good person?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Are you saying that a good person never does any of those things?

Or, that if someone does those things, even once in their lives, they are no longer a good person?
I am actually expecting Kirk Cameron to jump up....

The Neo Nerd

Have you ever lied? Have you?
Have you ever stolen anything? Have you?
Have you ever lusted after another person? Have you?
Have you ever coveted something owned by another person? Have you?
Have you ever used God’s name in vain? Have you?

If you answer yes to any of those questions, by your definition, you are not a good person and have no right to get all sanctimonious on us.

-Q

McBell

Admiral Obvious
If you answer yes to any of those questions, by your definition, you are not a good person and have no right to get all sanctimonious on us.

-Q
um...
I must have missed his definition...
Would you please be so kind as to point out the definition you are referring to?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
With humility realizing even the Greatest saint before God is as sinful as the most irreverent sinner

There's a saying in the Eastern Orthodox Church that goes: "The worst sinners think they are the greatest saints, but the greatest saints know they are the worst sinners".

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I think you know the answer to all of those questions. And anyone who answered no to any but the last is being dishonest.

Yet none of that has to do with whether or not one is a "good person".

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I think you know the answer to all of those questions. And anyone who answered no to any but the last is being dishonest.

Yet none of that has to do with whether or not one is a "good person".

I think it's possible for someone to might not have stolen anything, my mother is a major anti-stealing person, one time my friend let me borrow Grand Theft Auto (a video game which I think you knew), and she thought I stole it from him and she had me go up to his mother in person and say I stole it, too bad he wasn't there to tell them both that I was right :D

My point is, I'd be surprised if my mom stole something in her life.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I think it's possible for someone to might not have stolen anything, my mother is a major anti-stealing person, one time my friend let me borrow Grand Theft Auto (a video game which I think you knew), and she thought I stole it from him and she had me go up to his mother in person and say I stole it, too bad he wasn't there to tell them both that I was right :D

My point is, I'd be surprised if my mom stole something in her life.

Ya never know, she might surprise you;).

Me Myself

Back to my username
Have you ever lied?

Yes! Some were trivial but many were the most moral thing to do in such scenarios. I am of the people who lies less. It kind of grosses me out a bit >.< :eek:

When I was a kid I stole a little car a friend had because mine (identical) was broken. I left the broken one to my friend. Felt very bad about it though.

With outmost pleasure! :D

Yah. nothing special about that.

Have you ever used God&#8217;s name in vain

I have sweared in God´s name (at my teens, for today I don´t even swear (I am talking of actual swears, not "curse" words. :p . I say most spanish "curse" words whenever I feel it proper)

That said, those swearings have never to my memory bein "ineffectual" so I don´t think they were in vain at all.

Of course all of this only says I do wrong, but to say I am a bad person because I have done all of this would be like saying:

Have you ever given any human being something out of generosity?
Have you ever wished other people had some good things you have?
Have you ever been true to your word?

responding yes to all the above doesn´t necesarily make you a "good" person. I am sure most awful people have done all this things, the same way a lot of avarage people and good people have done the things you mentioned (some which were not bad at all) and still not become "bad" in general as a result.

There is also a saying in my country I like (maybe it´s from england germany or I dont care where, just mean I have heard it here :D )

It says: Every sinner has a future and every saint has a past.