• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answers these questions to see if you are a Good Person

Draka

Wonder Woman
It only takes one transgression to put someone in jail for life, or the death penalty and for them to be considered a bad person for life. And that is even amongst us mere mortals.

One is not a "bad person" if they pocketed a sucker or other piece of candy from a store when they were 8 years old. One is not a "bad person" if they lied to someone to protect them or save their feelings from getting hurt. One is not a "bad person" if they stub their toe and let a "god damn it" slip from their mouth. One is not a "bad person" if they find themselves physically attracted to someone else and find themselves physically aroused thinking about them (that's just nature for crying out loud). One is not a "bad person" just because they desire something someone else has.

Honestly, if these are your criteria then no one on the face of the planet is a "good person" and that's just insane.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I would say dramatically inaccurate, but if we say insane as in psychologically unhealthy, it probably does fit the bill o.o

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
If lust is a sin, I probably need to do at least four lifetimes of community service to atone for my sins.

There. I admit that I'm not exactly asexual. :p

I think it's no secret that a lot of people are also not rocks, and therefore they're bound to experience lust and other physical desires. It's pretty natural; I don't see them as 'worse' people for it at all.

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
One is not a "bad person" if they pocketed a sucker or other piece of candy from a store when they were 8 years old. One is not a "bad person" if they lied to someone to protect them or save their feelings from getting hurt. One is not a "bad person" if they stub their toe and let a "god damn it" slip from their mouth. One is not a "bad person" if they find themselves physically attracted to someone else and find themselves physically aroused thinking about them (that's just nature for crying out loud). One is not a "bad person" just because they desire something someone else has.

Honestly, if these are your criteria then no one on the face of the planet is a "good person" and that's just insane.
One has to wonder if the OP is based upon a fundigelical, "We are all sinners and need Jesus" blather?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever lied?

Absolutely not. Never. Stop looking at me like that.

Have you ever stolen anything?

Why? Is something missing?

Have you ever lusted after another person?

No, I always lust after the same people.

Have you ever coveted something owned by another person?

Define "covet". Then define "own".

Have you ever used God’s name in vain?

My God doesn't have a name.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It only takes one transgression to put someone in jail for life, or the death penalty and for them to be considered a bad person for life. And that is even amongst us mere mortals.

Which reminds me of a song.

[youtube]jAmpblpSrKI[/youtube]
Merle Haggard - Branded Man - YouTube

Even as a Christian, I know that a few bad acts don't necessarily make you a bad person. Jesus spoke the beatitudes:
Matthew 5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Mat 5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Mat 5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
Mat 5:7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
Mat 5:8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Mat 5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Mat 5:10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:11 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.
Mat 11:6 And blessed is the one who is not offended by me."

I think it is a good idea for we Christians to remember these kinds of verses in the Bible and not go around telling people why we think they and we are bad. :eek::cool:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There is an old saying that goes: You catch more flies with oil (or sugar) than you do with vinegar.

A lot of wisdom packed into one little saying.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Would you feel offended if you found out you were lusting after yourself? Is it something you would give consent to or would knowing you lust after yourself weird you out?

I think, at first I would be flattered. Then, when I began to notice that I just happened to show up everywhere I went, I would start wondering if I was stalking myself. I've always been a little suspicious of myself anyway so it could get pretty creepy pretty quick.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Jacob was a liar and the thief.
David lusted after Bathsheba and coveted Uriah's wife.
Jesus, by the strict interpretation of the Law, blasphemed.

You decide who ended up being sainted by the faith.

Matthew was a tax collector. Mary and Rahab were prostitutes. Moses was a murderer. "Good" does not always = "law abiding.":facepalm:

Yup. Seems like the only people Jesus really had a problem with were the Pharisees and Sadducees, you know: those people who granted themselves the authority to decide who was a good person and who wasn't. :D

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

I know plenty of village idiots who cannot grasp that even a murderer has probably done a few good things in his or her life. I would assume that an infinitely wise and all knowing god was more realistic than one of our village idiots.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Interesting. :D

So it is, in fact, your assertion that the entire human population of Earth are "bad" people then? That we are all "bad"? There is no difference between the serial rapist and the child who swiped a pack of gum at the checkout lane? Both are "bad"?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Okay, let's try giving this a different spin:

Have you ever lied?

No, I have never lied in my entire life.

Oh wait...

Have you ever stolen anything?

:D
Huh? :run:

Have you ever lusted after another person?

My rule of thumb is "If it moves, it's game." :drool:

... or if it doesn't, e.g. a fire hydrant.

Have you ever coveted something owned by another person?
I wish I had the skills of whoever came up with such question.

Have you ever used God’s name in vain?
Does "Jeez, Louise" count as "using God's name in vain"?

Okay, now please give me my score. :yes: