• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Answers these questions to see if you are a Good Person

Me Myself

Back to my username
I think it's possible for someone to might not have stolen anything, my mother is a major anti-stealing person, one time my friend let me borrow Grand Theft Auto (a video game which I think you knew), and she thought I stole it from him and she had me go up to his mother in person and say I stole it, too bad he wasn't there to tell them both that I was right :D

My point is, I'd be surprised if my mom stole something in her life.

That may even mean she stole too much when kid or teen and learned better.

Not saying it is the case, just saying that you are knowing her now for that. Also, just because she hates something doesn´t mean she has never done it. She might have done it when she didn´t hate it or done it and then hate having done it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you know the answer to all of those questions. And anyone who answered no to any but the last is being dishonest.

Yet none of that has to do with whether or not one is a "good person".

As far as I can remember, the closest thing to 'stealing' that I have done would be sometimes shoplifting small candy at the supermarket as a little kid.

So unless that counts as stealing (and to be honest, I suppose it could, at least to some people), then I don't think I have ever stolen anything; I don't recall doing such shoplifting in my teens onward.

As you have said, of course I don't think that makes me any more of a ''good person'' than anyone else.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Have you ever lied?
Have you ever stolen anything?
Have you ever lusted after another person?
Have you ever coveted something owned by another person?
Have you ever used God’s name in vain?

I remember Kirk Cameron on his TV show going around and asking people if they were good people and then getting into their faces asking these very questions. The show irritated me because there is a right way and a wrong way to witness to people- I think this is the wrong way-especially to non-Christians who already have a chip on their shoulder about Christianity. Just my opinion. :)

averageJOE

zombie
Have you ever lied?

I used your gods name in vain while I was doing all those other things.

What are my results?

Man of Faith

I think it's possible for someone to might not have stolen anything, my mother is a major anti-stealing person, one time my friend let me borrow Grand Theft Auto (a video game which I think you knew), and she thought I stole it from him and she had me go up to his mother in person and say I stole it, too bad he wasn't there to tell them both that I was right :D

My point is, I'd be surprised if my mom stole something in her life.

Sometimes people that are strongly against something used to be the worst offenders. I am very strongly against alcohol and haven't taken a drink in probably 20 years. I don't even want it in my home and preach against the evils of it constantly. Yet in my younger years I was a souse. :)

Me Myself

Back to my username
Have you ever given any human being something out of generosity?
Have you ever wished other people had some good things you have?
Have you ever been true to your word?

If you say yes to any of this, you are a good person

silly right? Of course it is, as silly as the premise of the OP.

Doing something bad at least once in your life doesn´t make a bad person. Every performer has done a bad performance at least once, would we say there is no good performers, only bad ones?

Absolute nonsense.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Have you ever lied?

So take it from a Thief....Man has always fallen short the glory of heaven.

So...back to Day Six.,,,Man as a species.
We (yes....you're in on this)...have done all of the above from the beginning.
It supports the physical life.
It makes physical life easier to circumvent the difficulties of acquisition.
Take from the next guy...if you can.
Give nothing back.

And THEN Chapter Two....God alters the body and spirit of Man....WHY?
The lesser form we once were fails in the dust.
Self denial and the ability to say as it is....is likely important.

So...the Garden Event.
And are we now expected to learn self-denial?...yeah.

First the lesser nature of what we are.
Then the lessons of denial.

And the first thing children are taught is the word...'no'.

Man of Faith

Have you ever given any human being something out of generosity?
Have you ever wished other people had some good things you have?
Have you ever been true to your word?

If you say yes to any of this, you are a good person

silly right? Of course it is, as silly as the premise of the OP.

Doing something bad at least once in your life doesn´t make a bad person. Every performer has done a bad performance at least once, would we say there is no good performers, only bad ones?

Absolute nonsense.

It only takes one transgression to put someone in jail for life, or the death penalty and for them to be considered a bad person for life. And that is even amongst us mere mortals.

Which reminds me of a song.

[youtube]jAmpblpSrKI[/youtube]
Merle Haggard - Branded Man - YouTube

Last edited:

Me Myself

Back to my username
It only takes one transgression to put someone in jail for life, or the death penalty and for them to be considered a bad person for life. And that is even amongst us mere mortals.

Sure, but that transgression doesnt tend to be "looked at that woman´s breasts" nor "lie about wheter or not I wanted to go to the movies". Money compensations are for things that are not that big (and of course, bigger than the examples I cited)

Besides, the jail system is made for the specific purpose of maintaining society under control. Puting someone for life in jail because of premeditated murder is a good way in which society can make sure few people do this. In other words, the jail argument is baseless.

Me Myself

Back to my username
So take it from a Thief....Man has always fallen short the glory of heaven.

But even waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay short of the damnations of hell.

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
Have you ever lied?

Oh well that's good, I'm ok. I've only committed the odd murder (and then, only on Monday mornings and I don't think I can be held totally responsible for that) but nothing on your list.

4consideration

Premium Member
Have you ever lied?

Yes. to all.

As I recall, in the OT -- after each stage of creation, God said something to the effect of, "And it is Good."

Do you presume to say otherwise about a person based upon your own personal judgments?

Do you make no distinction between an action and the essence of a person?

Man of Faith

after each stage of creation, God said something to the effect of, "And it is Good."

And after creating man he said it was very good. But that was before man rebelled. After man rebelled he said that man was wicked and his desires were continually evil, so he destroyed every air breathing creature except for a few.

Last edited:

4consideration

Premium Member
And after creating man he said it was very good. But that was before man rebelled. After man rebelled he said that man was wicked and his desires were evil, so he destroyed every air breathing creature except for a few.

I presume that you have a biological father.

Regardless of your relationship with that father -- and whether he is living or deceased -- what action, if any, are you capable of performing that would make you NOT the child of that father?

edit: Presumably, according to this story, those that remained were Good?

Last edited:

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Have you ever lied?
Jacob was a liar and the thief.
David lusted after Bathsheba and coveted Uriah's wife.
Jesus, by the strict interpretation of the Law, blasphemed.

You decide who ended up being sainted by the faith.

Matthew was a tax collector. Mary and Rahab were prostitutes. Moses was a murderer. "Good" does not always = "law abiding.":facepalm: