• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anti-immigrant rhetoric

Tomef

What do people think about the ideas expressed here, by leading anti-immigration politicians (directed mainly at Italian and Irish immigrants)? In what way do the ideas expressed here differ from the current rhetoric of characters like Trump?

Excerpt from "Foreign Conspiracy Against the Liberties of the United States":

"The most important act in the great drama of annihilating this Republic, is now performing. Foreigners are the principal actors; but, we must not deceive ourselves, there are native citizens also enlisted in the unholy work. In the mysterious movements of the political elements, it is our duty to be watchful. Our soil is already invaded, our homes are already polluted, the enemies of our liberties are already in the midst of us....They have their establishments, their schools, and their press; they are quietly, but effectually, moulding public sentiment in conformity to the views of their leaders. Under the specious pretext of charity, their wily emissaries are already at work to secure the confidence of the unsuspecting."

"They are cutthroats, murderers, and a pestilence to our great American city."

This sentiment was widespread, and Italians were often depicted as inherently criminal and associated with the Mafia.

"Irish papists will burn down our homes and our churches unless we drive them from our shores."

"The scum of the earth has found a haven in our land. Italians… are here to drain the blood of the American Republic."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What do people think about the ideas expressed here, by leading anti-immigration politicians (directed mainly at Italian and Irish immigrants)? In what way do the ideas expressed here differ from the current rhetoric of characters like Trump?

"The most important act in the great drama of annihilating this Republic, is now performing. Foreigners are the principal actors; but, we must not deceive ourselves, there are native citizens also enlisted in the unholy work. In the mysterious movements of the political elements, it is our duty to be watchful. Our soil is already invaded, our homes are already polluted, the enemies of our liberties are already in the midst of us....They have their establishments, their schools, and their press; they are quietly, but effectually, moulding public sentiment in conformity to the views of their leaders. Under the specious pretext of charity, their wily emissaries are already at work to secure the confidence of the unsuspecting."

This sentiment was widespread, and Italians were often depicted as inherently criminal and associated with the Mafia.

"Irish papists will burn down our homes and our churches unless we drive them from our shores."

"The scum of the earth has found a haven in our land. Italians… are here to drain the blood of the American Republic."
And yet it appears significant numbers of the Irish and Italians became police officers.........

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
And yet it appears significant numbers of the Irish and Italians became police officers.........
Not to mention Corey Comperatore, a firefighter that died because of the anti-Trump hatred spread by the Left.
A hatred destroying the young generations.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
So please link to a site that explains what is officially know about the motive of the shooter. And remember I can check your link if you choose to provide one.

I think that a person who shoots at Trump that's because he hates his guts.
Right?

Audie

Veteran Member

Is Trump a person, or a 'character"?

How about Irish? Are they characters?

Tomef

Is Trump a person, or a 'character"?

How about Irish? Are they characters?
I don’t get what you mean.

Trump is a person - also a ‘character’ in the sense of a person who is outlandish / untrustworthy. I don’t think you can characterise some whole nation like that, every place has its share of characters, though.

The point is, if it isn’t clear, that the same kinds of people who were tailing against immigrants from one part of the world 150 years ago (or so) are getting worked up about immigrants from some other part of the world today. I’m interested in whether anyone thinks this is ‘different’ somehow, the situation today.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Just for clarification, this was written in 1835 by Samuel Morse (inventor of the telegraph). Such rhetoric has always been around in one form or another. It clearly didn't have much of an effect on quashing U.S. immigration policy, neither then nor now. Although there have been periods when immigration was severely curtailed such as the immigration act of 1924.

A key issue related to immigration has been the concept of assimilation, in which immigrants were expected and pressured to assimilate to the Anglo-American culture which was dominant in the U.S. Henry Ford advocated for schools for his immigrant employees to learn English and U.S. civics. A lot of immigrants from Europe and elsewhere changed their names to make it sound more American (as did my own ancestors).

The idea was that, as long as immigrants learned English, assimilated, and conformed to patriotic American values, then they no longer would be viewed as a threat. This also corresponded to the idea of the "melting pot," which implied that whatever immigrants were no longer mattered, since they were being remolded and reshaped into loyal Americans.

That seems to point up the major complaint nowadays, as many immigrants are perceived as not assimilating well enough and not demonstrating patriotism and unquestioned loyalty to America. A common thing one might hear is "If my ancestors could learn English when they got here, so can these immigrants today!"

That seems to be a major sticky point these days, as there has been a reaction against America's former push towards assimilation and countered with a push towards cultural diversity and multilingualism. On the other hand, there are those who see a refusal to assimilate as an unfriendly act. They used to say "When in Rome, do as the Romans do," and those who don't blend into the background tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

Tomef

Just for clarification, this was written in 1835 by Samuel Morse (inventor of the telegraph). Such rhetoric has always been around in one form or another. It clearly didn't have much of an effect on quashing U.S. immigration policy, neither then nor now. Although there have been periods when immigration was severely curtailed such as the immigration act of 1924.

A key issue related to immigration has been the concept of assimilation, in which immigrants were expected and pressured to assimilate to the Anglo-American culture which was dominant in the U.S. Henry Ford advocated for schools for his immigrant employees to learn English and U.S. civics. A lot of immigrants from Europe and elsewhere changed their names to make it sound more American (as did my own ancestors).

The idea was that, as long as immigrants learned English, assimilated, and conformed to patriotic American values, then they no longer would be viewed as a threat. This also corresponded to the idea of the "melting pot," which implied that whatever immigrants were no longer mattered, since they were being remolded and reshaped into loyal Americans.

That seems to point up the major complaint nowadays, as many immigrants are perceived as not assimilating well enough and not demonstrating patriotism and unquestioned loyalty to America. A common thing one might hear is "If my ancestors could learn English when they got here, so can these immigrants today!"

That seems to be a major sticky point these days, as there has been a reaction against America's former push towards assimilation and countered with a push towards cultural diversity and multilingualism. On the other hand, there are those who see a refusal to assimilate as an unfriendly act. They used to say "When in Rome, do as the Romans do," and those who don't blend into the background tend to stick out like a sore thumb.
Yes. The question is, in what way, if any, is this different from the rhetoric pushed by Trump (etc) today.

Audie

Veteran Member
I don’t get what you mean.

Trump is a person - also a ‘character’ in the sense of a person who is outlandish / untrustworthy. I don’t think you can characterise some whole nation like that, every place has its share of characters, though.

The point is, if it isn’t clear, that the same kinds of people who were tailing against immigrants from one part of the world 150 years ago (or so) are getting worked up about immigrants from some other part of the world today. I’m interested in whether anyone thinks this is ‘different’ somehow, the situation today.
You find him to be outlandish, use
prejudicial language, and appear to equate
Trumps view on immigration as practiced today
with the words you quoted.
Am I correct so far?

Did you mean " other part", or other part(s), or all parts?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Trump has never mentioned that all Hispanic migrants are bad.

That example is light years away from Trump's speeches which point out that there are so many Hispanic people who totally assimilated.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. The question is, in what way, if any, is this different from the rhetoric pushed by Trump (etc) today.

The targeted groups may be different. I don't recall Trump saying anything about Irish or Italians or "papists."

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
What groups are targeted, and why?

I don't know of any groups targeted by Trump (although I haven't read all his speeches). But among the general hoi polloi, one might hear rhetoric about "Mexicans pouring over the border" and things like that. 9/11 also prompted many Americans to target Muslims as a potential threat and have wanted to limit their immigration on that basis. In fact, I recall Trump received a lot of criticism over what many perceived as a ban on Muslim immigration.

Tomef

You find him to be outlandish, use
prejudicial language,
Yes, that reflects my view of Trump.
and appear to equate
Trumps view on immigration as practiced today
with the words you quoted.
Am I correct so far?
The kind of language used is similar - Trump has frequently used the same kind of inflammatory language to describe immigrants today. My question is whether or not anyone considers the current situation to be different in some sense.
Did you mean " other part", or other part(s), or all parts?
'some other part' = another part (of the world).

Audie

Veteran Member
I don't know of any groups targeted by Trump (although I haven't read all his speeches). But among the general hoi polloi, one might hear rhetoric about "Mexicans pouring over the border" and things like that. 9/11 also prompted many Americans to target Muslims as a potential threat and have wanted to limit their immigration on that basis. In fact, I recall Trump received a lot of criticism over what many perceived as a ban on Muslim immigration.
Wasn't it a proposed ban on unvetted immigrants from
Islamic countries ? "Util we know who they
are"?

Like actually observe existing laws.