• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Antipsychotics: to Take or to Leave?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Slayer,

I've been on pretty much every psych med known to man and few have worked, which is why I'm deemed treatment-resistant. My psychiatrist is a good man, but I had to wade through a bunch of hacks to find him.

A good psych will not put you on any more meds than you absolutely need, and he will not argue with you about what you think is best for your body. Your therapist saying that she knows what's best for you when you don't feel right about it is a big sign that you should leave her.

I, too, am at risk for diabetes, so my man put me on Metformin twice a day. I've been taking it for many years as a prophylactic against developing diabetes. So far, so good.

No sign of tardive, so I'm good to go there too.

Do what's right for you, but don't be afraid to take what you need for stability. I hated Risperdal because it made me fat, but it worked. Then my guy switched me to Seroquel so I could try to lose some weight.

It is a wonderful AP. I'm doing much better on it. I haven't dropped the weight, but my attitude about being fat has improved! :p

Don't know if this will help you, but I hope it eases your mind some.

PM me any time if you want to talk privately. We're all in this together.

RRex :)

Thanks, RRex. I do have to note that one of my primary concerns is that I became 21 just two weeks ago, and I'm not ready to put myself at risk of all of these serious side effects this early in my life, especially since every psychiatrist (I'm not calling them "therapists" now because I was mistakenly using the two terms interchangeably) I have seen has never told me when I was supposed to be taken off the meds, except the last one who prescribed three antipsychotics and said I would indefinitely have an injection every two weeks after tapering off them. So even she said that this stuff would be in my body for no one knows how long.

I'm glad Seroquel has worked for you. I don't doubt that this class of meds (atypical antipsychotics) work for some people. I'm really conflicted and worried about taking them right now, however. I may consider them again if and only if all other options fail.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
No, they can; they can try to leave for somewhere more suitable for them.
IMO, that would be far better for you than medications. Granted I don't live a place that is nearly as harsh, but it's the same idea in that medications can only help to make my situation more tolerable, but getting away is leave behind and get away from the biggest and main source of my problems, which is also a Conservative environment. It's not as Conservative as where you're at, but Conservative enough they want discrimination to be a "religious freedom."
The grass is NOT always greener.......But good luck! I hope you will make your way out.
As I said, maybe only a few of us on this forum can even begin to understand his situation. For him, not only would the grass be greener, there would actually be grass.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
That does make me wonder, in regards to @Debater Slayer, how are such things determined in your country? Here a therpist has a master's degree in psychology or psychiatry, and a psychologist has a doctorates but can only write prescriptions for a few medications, if any at all, while a psychiatrist is a medical doctor with a psychiatric background.

This is as clearly as I can put it:

• People who try to talk to you to help you through mental illness or negative behaviors have degrees in psychology, ranging from a basic degree to a master's or even a PhD.

• People who diagnose mental disorders and prescribe medications often have a PhD in psychiatry.

I have seen four psychiatrists and one psychologist so far.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is as clearly as I can put it:

• People who try to talk to you to help you through mental illness or negative behaviors have degrees in psychology, ranging from a basic degree to a master's or even a PhD.

• People who diagnose mental disorders and prescribe medications often have a PhD in psychiatry.

I have seen four psychiatrists and one psychologist so far.
There are people who are not doctors who are trained in listening (therapists). I have seen one who I think was excellent.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
As you get older , acceptance of the way things are becomes easier .
When I was young man was much chaos ,was so much to do , was so overwhelming would lead to despair
Was into my 30s when I did learn to became more acceptable of things and to let life flow at a pace that suited myself.
Is a lot of pressure on a young man , most of it is what you put upon yourself .
When I was young hours felt like days , but now I am older the days pass like hours .

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hell I'm just going to "accept things the way they are." I am getting out of this place sooner or later. I mean that in every possible sense.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I used to take antidepressants for some time when I was in high school and also during my studies because of neurosis. I didn't take any of the meds you listed as depression and neurosis are treated with other meds than psychosis, schizophrenia or a bipolar disorder. Once, I asked the doctor to change medication because I didn't feel well. She did that reluctantly however the crucial point is to take the meds your doctor prescribes you and see if they work. If they don't or you don't feel well, then you can ask for a change. If I were you, I would stop worrying about the possible side effects as every drug has a long list of possible side effects, often grievous ones, but they happen rarely and often to the people who have some serious health problems.

Diabetes isn't really caused by drugs. It's a civilization illness, caused by obesity, unhealthy food, chemicals in our food and so on. If it worries you, you can regularly control your blood sugar.

Additionally, medication should be combined with psychotherapy in order to be effective.

Zyprexa, the antipsychotic I'm on, has been associated with diabetes, and I don't take that lightly since my family has a history of diabetes, as I mentioned. Since the incidence doesn't seem to be extremely high, that's not my first concern with the drug, however; my first concern is tardive dyskinesia.

Additionally, I included a link in the OP stating that Abilify's probability of causing extrapyramidal reactions can be as high as 20%. I think that is worth considering and weighing against the benefits of the drug.

SpeaksForTheTrees

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hell I'm just going to "accept things the way they are." I am getting out of this place sooner or later, either alive or dead. I mean that in every possible sense.
I lost maybe 5-6 good friends along the path of life , I've been thier myself. Decided to wait and see what tomorrow brought and I'm still here once I picked myself up was stronger than ever , I've been there and decided not to , based on a premise, I used to spare my own life .
Why should I compromise , suicide is a compromise not a solution .
Last week was congratulations on becoming of age .
This week your not talking like a man .
I hope you can work it out mate.
I been there just couldn't find the courage to do it.
I'm glad I didn't cos now at 46 I'm so laid back the sky could fall in an it wouldn't bother me.
Guess the skin just gets thicker with age .
Growing up is hard work , I wouldn't want to go back to the chaos of being a young man .
I know nothing of your RL
Is just general , don't let it beat you .
All I need is to wake up each day , anything else is a bonus
Good luck

RRex

Premium Member
So even she said that this stuff would be in my body for no one knows how long.
Just a heads-up. I was on Ritalin to control my weight and it backfired. I went into deep psychosis.

It took me six years to clear it from my system. I do not recommend it.

Shadow Wolf

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hell I'm just going to "accept things the way they are." I am getting out of this place sooner or later. I mean that in every possible sense.
That is the right attitude to have. It's setting a positive goal, a goal that is extremely likely to improve your life, and a goal to give yourself something to look forward to. A reason to get up in the morning to do what you have to do in order to get out.
As you get older , acceptance of the way things are becomes easier .
DS is an atheist who lives in a Middle Eastern Muslim society. And it's not just what he experiences, but he sees how it represses others, including friends and potential friends and some who are forbidden to associate with him because of deep and religious standards and expectations of the culture. Why should he ever accept those things as just the way of things?

SpeaksForTheTrees

That is the right attitude to have. It's setting a positive goal, a goal that is extremely likely to improve your life, and a goal to give yourself something to look forward to. A reason to get up in the morning to do what you have to do in order to get out.

DS is an atheist who lives in a Middle Eastern Muslim society. And it's not just what he experiences, but he sees how it represses others, including friends and potential friends and some who are forbidden to associate with him because of deep and religious standards and expectations of the culture. Why should he ever accept those things as just the way of things?

Is same in England , the classes don't mix , people are repressed for different reasons also . Mostly debt .
I met a girl from Bahrian years ago ,she was drop dead but could never be cos of her parents.
imho your post is even more reason he should not give up.

Shadow Wolf

Is same in England , the classes don't mix , people are repressed for different reasons also . Mostly debt .
I met a girl from Bahrian years ago ,she was drop dead but could never be cos of her parents.
imho your post is even more reason he should not give up.
That is not at all the same. In the Middle East, atheism is criminal in some places, and it essentially puts a neon target on your back. Atheists are not respected or trusted by many here in rural Conservative Indiana, but they aren't arrested over it and it doesn't put their safety and lives in jeopardy.
And what is he giving up on? All I see is that he is severely depressed-and a great deal of it without doubt comes from his environment-and trying to make a positive change in his life. If he gives up on anything, it would be his desires to leave and live somewhere else that isn't so repressive, some where were he can focus on his life and not worry about the hardships that come from living in such an extremely Conservative environment. It's depressing enough having to endure it where I live, I'd hate to have worse (DS does have it worse).

atanu

Premium Member

Please note that I'm not looking for medical advice, since I know that can't be reliably provided on an Internet forum. Instead, I'm just looking for general thoughts on the situation.

Thank you.

I do not know whether any one else has suggested or not, I suggest you learn and practice the following two, while diligently continuing with your medicines:

1. 'anuloma viloma' pranayama (alternate nostril breathing) from an experienced teacher. You may also start slowly on your own, following instructions as in the following:

http://essentialyogaformen.com/breathing-techniques/anuloma-viloma-pranayama/

2. Yoga Nidra (only the first presentation from the series of three):
https://itunes.apple.com/us/itunes-u/deep-relaxation-guided-meditation/id434139276?mt=10

You may wish to first consult your doctor. Best.

SpeaksForTheTrees

That is not at all the same. In the Middle East, atheism is criminal in some places, and it essentially puts a neon target on your back. Atheists are not respected or trusted by many here in rural Conservative Indiana, but they aren't arrested over it and it doesn't put their safety and lives in jeopardy.
And what is he giving up on? All I see is that he is severely depressed-and a great deal of it without doubt comes from his environment-and trying to make a positive change in his life. If he gives up on anything, it would be his desires to leave and live somewhere else that isn't so repressive, some where were he can focus on his life and not worry about the hardships that come from living in such an extremely Conservative environment. It's depressing enough having to endure it where I live, I'd hate to have worse (DS does have it worse).
Is two guys on TV right now , been trapped within slavery since immigrating to UK in 2011 .
Within UK ??? No *** slaves
A UK charity discovered and free them .

Last edited by a moderator:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is two guys on TV right now , been trapped within slavery since immigrating to UK in 2011 .
I think I understand what you are saying. Maybe my life sucks where I am and I think it might be better somewhere else. But maybe I go to NYC and get my throat slashed. Not good imo.

Milton Platt

Have you tried natural remedies?
  • Omega-3 fatty acids. These oils may help improve depression associated with bipolar disorder. ...
  • Magnesium. Several small studies have suggested that magnesium supplements may lessen mania and the rapid cycling of bipolar symptoms. ...
  • St. John's wort. ...
  • S-adenosyl-L-methionine (SAMe). ...
  • Herbal combinations. ...
  • Acupuncture.
Can you learn yoga? I stretch every morning and I think it keeps my body and my mind aligned.

Can't believe you are suggesting this stuff for a person with bipolar condition. My mother-in-law was off the charts bipolar. Without the meds she had continual hallucinations and was forever seeing things like a circus on our front lawn, etc. She heard voices that continually threatened her. This is a serious disease. Different meds or combinations of meds work for different people. It is trial and error until you get the right combination and/or strength to control the symptoms properly.
this takes a long term relationship with a good psychiatrist. The trouble is that it is very difficult to keep people on the drugs. When they are better, they stop taking them. This can be seen with the psychotic people living on the streets of our cities. They are picked up when they are psychotic and taken to county hospital where they are stabilized with meds, and then turned onto the street with a prescription they never take. This cycle occurs over and over without end until they kill themselves on purpose or by accident when they are deeply psychotic.

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
Atypical antipsychotics have uses for bipolar disorder as well. I'm definitely not going to take psychiatric medications on my own. That requires a professional's prescription. I just hope the next professional I see doesn't turn out like the last one I saw and prescribe risky meds in spades and expect me to take them without considering the potential side effects.
I don't think Orbit was suggesting you take them on your own - you can't legally obtain them that way, anyway. I think she meant you could ask your doctor to prescribe them.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can't believe you are suggesting this stuff for a person with bipolar condition. My mother-in-law was off the charts bipolar. Without the meds she had continual hallucinations and was forever seeing things like a circus on our front lawn, etc. She heard voices that continually threatened her. This is a serious disease. Different meds or combinations of meds work for different people. It is trial and error until you get the right combination and/or strength to control the symptoms properly.
this takes a long term relationship with a good psychiatrist. The trouble is that it is very difficult to keep people on the drugs. When they are better, they stop taking them. This can be seen with the psychotic people living on the streets of our cities. They are picked up when they are psychotic and taken to county hospital where they are stabilized with meds, and then turned onto the street with a prescription they never take. This cycle occurs over and over without end until they kill themselves on purpose or by accident when they are deeply psychotic.
No, You mean you can't believe GOOGLE suggests it. What is WRONG with you people?

FTNZ

Agnostic Atheist Ex-Christian
No, You mean you can't believe GOOGLE suggests it. What is WRONG with you people?
Just because information is found on google, doesn't mean it's appropriate for treating a medical condition. DS didn't ask for such suggestions in his OP, and many of us think these suggestions were unhelpful, at best. IMO if you want to suggest health treatments, the onus is on you to back them up with scientific facts. Unevidenced substances can do real harm, and those that have no effect waste money and time taken to find an effective treatment.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Wise words.

Shadow Wolf

What's wrong with you telling someone who is bi-polar that you hate meds and they should try something you pulled off the internet? What's wrong with you when you attack the doctors because you can't spell "schizophrenic?"
Granted, relaxation methods such as aromatherapy can help, and are encouraged as a part of behavioral therapy, but they won't actually help to treat bi-polar disorder.

That still doesn't make the UK comparable to the circumstances of DS's life. I'd want to kill myself, too, if I had to live in the Middle East. The UK is not really a repressive society, especially if you happen to be of a minority group like atheists. Richard Dawkins gets by just fine in the UK. He would have been killed by now-long ago-in some of places DS has lived and still lives. He has also stated other social concerns over things that are foreign and unthinkable in places like the UK. I don't envy his position, and I can only wish him luck in getting out and getting to a better environment.