• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anybody: What do you think about extra-terrestrials?

What do you think about extra-terrestrials?

• Total voters

storm2020

Roswell wasn't a weather ballon or UFO. It was a device to detect the russians testing weapons of mass destruction. Army obviously didn't want anyone to know. Roswell alien story only actually surfaced in 50's 60's.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
If there are ET type beings, I would like to think that they are merely demons or angels.

The whole concept of a little green/grey creepie with a big head and oval shaped eyes kinds of gives me the heebie jeebies.

silvermoon383

One thing to remember, the thing that would tip aliens off that there is intelligent life on Earth is a radio signal. We've only been broadcasting radio signals for around 100 years, so the area of space where we are detectable is a sphere approx. 200 light years across, which is a very small section of the galaxy. To top that off, the signal degrades the farther out you go (just like light gets dimmer the farther from the source you are), so the better chance you have of picking it up is to be closer to Earth.

To put it simply, to find a planet with intelligent life is worse than finding a needle in a haystack, even if you had FTL capabilities.

Helio

your government know that ''aliens'' are spirits, since they are ''spiritual'' themselves
these ''aliens'' do not contact just anyone, there is a bigger picture to this story wich they do not
have been able to understand yet.
Spirits do not have intentions to contact a regular man and say hello, and when they do..
its intentional and part of that grander scheme.

A

angellous_evangellous

your government know that ''aliens'' are spirits, since they are ''spiritual'' themselves
these ''aliens'' do not contact just anyone, there is a bigger picture to this story wich they do not
have been able to understand yet.
Spirits do not have intentions to contact a regular man and say hello, and when they do..
its intentional and part of that grander scheme.

I'd like to see a T-Rex, please.

Not a clone, but the real thing.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
I took an astronomy class a couple semesters ago, it was very interesting. The odds are there has to be some intelligent life form out there. It is a 1 in a million chance for life to form, but there are billions of galaxys out there. Who knows what they are like or how they have developed on their conditions.

As far as visiting, this is more unlikely. Considering we can see up to about 10 billion light years away. No life yet, so if it is out there it would have to find a way to break the speed of light to travel to us.

A

angellous_evangellous

I took an astronomy class a couple semesters ago, it was very interesting. The odds are there has to be some intelligent life form out there. It is a 1 in a million chance for life to form, but there are billions of galaxys out there. Who knows what they are like or how they have developed on their conditions.

As far as visiting, this is more unlikely. Considering we can see up to about 10 billion light years away. No life yet, so if it is out there it would have to find a way to break the speed of light to travel to us.

This seems to be an extremely generous probability. I wonder how it was calculated.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
I'd like to see a T-Rex, please.

Not a clone, but the real thing.
A clone is the real thing. (assuming you haven't fiddled with the DNA)

And radio signals aren't detectable beyond a light-year or so, due to the inverse cube relationship. This would mean that, as far as we can tell, there could be aliens sitting on Alpha Centuari, but we have no way of finding them without sending a probe there.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
This seems to be an extremely generous probability. I wonder how it was calculated.
I don't think it was spot on, maybe there is an actual calculation. I was simply saying it is rare, but we have an abundance of galaxies. So logically another perfect scenario for life to form and grow has to be out there...... My professor is the one who said that one in a million, so I wasn't being accurate...

A

angellous_evangellous

A clone is the real thing. (assuming you haven't fiddled with the DNA)

And radio signals aren't detectable beyond a light-year or so, due to the inverse cube relationship. This would mean that, as far as we can tell, there could be aliens sitting on Alpha Centuari, but we have no way of finding them without sending a probe there.

It's not as real as going back in time and getting an original.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
What do you think about extra-terrestrial, intelligent life forms? Do they exist? Have they visited earth? Can we hope to visit them?
Note that you can check as many answers as you like.
I think its the material of Sci Fi. and should be out of a serious public debate. and definitely out of NGC, History channel etc, which I expected to produce decent programs about biology, archaeology, history and astronomy.

Last edited:

dogsgod

I think extra-terrestrials are probably really nice people once you get to know them.

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
The ones I meant to tick are:

Extra-terrestrials definitely exist.
Extra-terrestials probably exist.

We haven't made contact yet, but we will.
Most extra-terrestrials are friendly ones, like lunamoth.

For some reason, my dad's laptop (which I'm on at the moment as I'm visiting for a few hours) ticks every box by default when given the option.

By "definitely" and "probably", I mean "primitive" (definitely) and "civilized possibly to a standard equal to or above our own" (probably).

dogsgod

I can't imagine that of all the stars and solar systems that make up our galaxy, all but ours are sterile. However, the distance between stars is so great that we are not likely to make any kind of contact with whatever life forms may exist out there.

Either life forms in our galaxy are a rare occurrence, or the galaxy is teaming with life, or somewhere in between.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There might be ET's. I like to keep an open mind on the subject, but I don't think they ever visited earth and I doubt they ever will.