• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are all Religions the Same ?- Dr. David Frawley

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Howdy.
I was browsing youtube looking for different content related to Dharma and came across this video. I thought it was pretty interesting and might be something worth sharing. What do you guys think about the content of the video?

He is generally talking about all the differences between religions.
So it seems he is agreeing with those that think all religions are not the same.

My view, obviously all religions are not the same. I didn't need to listen this this video to confirm that.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No! Not the same goals.
Yes they are. They are just simply different metaphors for the same thing. I will explain...

The Abrahamics seek a blissful heaven and salvation from Hell, while retaining their individual personalities, sensorium and qualia.
And Buddhists seek transcendence, or Nirvana, or fleeing the world of suffering. "Salvation from sin or 'hell'", is the same thing as "fleeing samsara" or the world of illusion and suffering. It's all about finding transcendence. "Salvation" is simply another term for Enlightenment, even if it's dressed up with different garb or verbage.

The Hindus seek a status epilepticus, with radical alteration of perception, annihilation of sensorium, and merger with an unchanging, timeless, dimensionless, non-phenomenological, Unity.
Exactly. This is "heaven" or "nirvana". The state of Unity or Oneness. Christianity expresses this as "reconciliation with God". Same thing.

The Buddhists imagine a similar blowing out of individual personality, but mainly concern themselves with worldly matters of suffering, equanimity and mindfulness.
This is simply a matter of differences of emphasis, such as "Atman" vs. "Anatman" or "Self" vs. No-Self" between Buddhism and Hinduism. Christianity imagines aspects of the egoic self retained, as the "soul", and so forth. These are not the Goal, per se. But more ways of imagining how that look in the Ulitmate Reality.

In reality, is it Dualistic, or Nondual? You see? But the Goal is the same, which is Awakening, or Unity Consciousness. That is the same in all religions, ultimately. It's the paths or the features that differ of course, based upon the cultures and sensibilities of the audiences.

The Norse sought a brutal 'heaven' of violence, battle and death.
Which reflected their value system of Ultimate Good. The goal is the same. Transcendence to the Ultimate Good or Reality.

Very, very different goals and metaphysical philosophies in different religious traditions.
Same goal, different metaphysical systems.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
He is generally talking about all the differences between religions.
So it seems he is agreeing with those that think all religions are not the same.

My view, obviously all religions are not the same. I didn't need to listen this this video to confirm that.
I suppose a common theme between religions is each thinks there is some kind of problem that needs addressing.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If I am honest this sounds like a bit of an over simplification.
Simplification is sometimes in order, when we can get lost in the weeds of focusing on the differences. We end up not being able to see the forest for the trees, in other words.

Of course there are different goals within the traditions, but I see those as the goal of the that particular path itself. But the ultimate goal of all of those paths or practices, or that particular yoga for instance, is liberation or transcendence. Path of service, path of devotion, path of meditation, path of knowledge, etc.

All paths share that same goal, which is to "overcome the world" of sin and suffering, or ignorance and illusion. It's about 'salvation' or 'enlightenment' for all the genuine or authentic esoteric pathways. I qualify it as 'authentic paths', as systems or practices that seek power over others, for instance, is not authentic religion. That's in service of inflating the ego, not in service of transcending the ego.

The one thing all authentic religions have in common is overcoming the ego, either through surrender or dissolution. The common goal is liberation from its bondage, and the result is Unity Consciousness, or "Salvation", Enlightenment, Buddha Mind, Christ Consciousness, etc.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No, I cannot prove that, it is just my personal opinion.
Others have different opinions since we all view things differently. :)
But we're not talking about personal opinions. We're talking about universal, factual, similarities or differences.
You made a sweeping declaration of objective, universal truth:
"It is the same God, since there is only one true God, but the God depicted in the Old Testament is is an anthropomorphism of God, not God.

By contrast, the God of Islam is an accurate depiction of the one true God.
"
This does not sound like a personal opinion, and it's not supported by any proffered evidence. You're preaching again.
Please support this extraordinary claim.

As I said before, everyone just posting their own, unsupported opinions does not support any sort of discussion. And if you do cite a personal opinion, at least justify it, if only to give us something to discuss.This is a Debate thread, after all.

We don't want to know what you believe. We want to know why you believe it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But we're not talking about personal opinions. We're talking about universal, factual, similarities or differences.
You made a sweeping declaration of objective, universal truth:
No, I did not make a sweeping declaration of objective, universal truth; I made a statement of my belief
(in response to a Muslim who stated his belief).

I believe
that it is the same God, since there is only one true God, but the God depicted in the Old Testament is is an anthropomorphism of God, not God.

By contrast, I believe that the God of Islam is an accurate depiction of the one true God.
This does not sound like a personal opinion, and it's not supported by any proffered evidence. You're preaching again.
Please support this extraordinary claim.
It is not a claim, it is a belief. Nobody can prove that a belief is true, that is the nature of a belief. If it could be proven to be true it would be a fact, not a belief.
As I said before, everyone just posting their own, unsupported opinions does not support any sort of discussion. And if you do cite a personal opinion, at least justify it, if only to give us something to discuss.This is a Debate thread, after all.
All we can have are personal opinions about religions because religions can never be proven true.
We don't want to know what you believe. We want to know why you believe it.
I believe it because of what my religion teaches. I believe in my religion because of the evidence the supports the truth of my religion, but that is not what this thread is about.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yes they are. They are just simply different metaphors for the same thing. I will explain...

And Buddhists seek transcendence, or Nirvana, or fleeing the world of suffering. "Salvation from sin or 'hell'", is the same thing as "fleeing samsara" or the world of illusion and suffering. It's all about finding transcendence. "Salvation" is simply another term for Enlightenment, even if it's dressed up with different garb or verbage.
Buddhists don't believe in sin or Hell, and Christians don't believe in samsara or illusion. Salvation = "saving".... from Hell.
Christians seek an afterlife, as themselves, inhabiting a familiar but perfected world. Buddhists conceive of no perfected world or habitation therein. Enlightenment is insight; expanded awareness, not Heaven.
Exactly. This is "heaven" or "nirvana". The state of Unity or Oneness. Christianity expresses this as "reconciliation with God". Same thing.
There is no Buddhist doctrine of reconciliation. This state of oneness is a solipsist unity with god. The individual ceases to be.
This is simply a matter of differences of emphasis, such as "Atman" vs. "Anatman" or "Self" vs. No-Self" between Buddhism and Hinduism. Christianity imagines aspects of the egoic self retained, as the "soul", and so forth. These are not the Goal, per se. But more ways of imagining how that look in the Ulitmate Reality.
So what 'goal' are we talking about, or are we discussing comparative metaphysics? And are we comparing Abrahamic vs dharmic religions, or contrasting Hinduism and Buddhism?
In re: ultimate reality, I'm sure you're aware that there's little comparison between the Christian concept of a familiar but perfect world and the timeless, featurless field of potentiality imagined by philosophical dharmism (?).
In reality, is it Dualistic, or Nondual? You see? But the Goal is the same, which is Awakening, or Unity Consciousness. That is the same in all religions, ultimately. It's the paths or the features that differ of course, based upon the cultures and sensibilities of the audiences.
But there is no unity consciousness in the Abrahamic religions. They're not about consciousness or expanded awareness at all. :confused:
Which reflected their value system of Ultimate Good. The goal is the same. Transcendence to the Ultimate Good or Reality.
But Reality and ultimate good don't strike me as the same thing. Eastern metaphysics isn't about good or bad. Abrahamic faiths aren't about ontology.
Same goal, different metaphysical systems.
Again, what is this common goal?

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
What's that got to do with the OP's question?
Not all religions even have a God, much less a god with a message for mankind.

I see the 'sameness', or the 'oneness' aspect is overlooked in our diversity. All life has a source in this material world, we are all human. Without water we do not have life on this planet, so there we already have a couple of foundations of 'sameness'.

The foundation off the majority of faiths is the desire to become more than we are to transform and transcend to a higher plain of existence. (In some cases the sameness is born of a lower plain of existence, but we all share that as well)

That desire to be more than the animal, is the river of life that flows into the oceans of all knowledge, is the oneness that can be found, the aspect that is sameness.

On those foundations, there is a diversity in knowledge.

Regards Tony

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Buddhists don't believe in sin or Hell, and Christians don't believe in samsara or illusion. Salvation = "saving".... from Hell.
You're getting hung up on the finger pointing at the moon, focusing on the finger instead of what the different fingers are pointing to.

Yes, illusion = sin; hell=suffering, etc. It is experienced the same way, it is described with different words, different images, different metaphors. Salvation = liberation from suffering, or 'saving from hell'. These are metaphors.

Christians seek an afterlife, as themselves, inhabiting a familiar but perfected world.
Atman vs. Anatman. Dualism vs. Nonduality. These are all aspects of the Transcendent, or Ultimate Reality. They are all pointing to the same thing, "Through a glass darkly", as the Apostle Paul poetically put it.

Buddhists conceive of no perfected world or habitation therein.
Are you so sure of this? Some certainly do. "Pure Land Buddhism is built on the belief that there will never be a world which is not corrupt, so the rebirth in another plane, the "Pure Land", is the goal." Pure Land Buddhism - Wikipedia.

Enlightenment is insight; expanded awareness, not Heaven.
Same thing. That Liberated Awareness, is Heaven. It's the Transcendent. It's Atman, the Self, God, etc. Use whatever metaphor you prefer.

There is no Buddhist doctrine of reconciliation.
Finding the True Self, most certainly is. You get rid of the false self, the illusory self, and are 'reconciled' or made aware of the true Self within. Same thing, different metaphors to describe the same experience.

This state of oneness is a solipsist unity with god. The individual ceases to be.
Yes, and no. Atman vs. Anatman. We are talking about the nondual here, so both are true, and neither is true. These are just ways for the dualistic mind to find words to describe something that goes beyond, yet includes both as true. There is the the Self and No-Self as equally true. Impossible to put into words.

Anatman/Atman (No-Self/Self) | Encyclopedia.com

So what 'goal' are we talking about, or are we discussing comparative metaphysics? And are we comparing Abrahamic vs dharmic religions, or contrasting Hinduism and Buddhism?
We're comparing all of them. They all have the same underlying goal of transcendence and the end of suffering and separation as the same destination point, regardless of the symbolic systems and language they wrap around them. I very much agree with this statement from the Zen monk Ikkyu, "Many paths lead from the foot of the mountain, but at the peak we all gaze at the single bright moon.”

I can find the same underlying goals in Christianity, wrapped in different language, that I find in Buddhism in its language, and Hinduism in its language. That's the point here. It's seeing the same underlying impulse behind the all. It is a human impulse towards liberation, or salvation, from the "sin" or "illusion" of separation from Ultimate Reality, or God, or whatever other word that you prefer to describe that with.

Of course, this is the very insight of the Perennial philosophy. Perennial philosophy - Wikipedia

In re: ultimate reality, I'm sure you're aware that there's little comparison between the Christian concept of a familiar but perfect world and the timeless, featureless field of potentiality imagined by philosophical dharmism (?).
I view the Christian imagery like a children's story to help take the gross level view of the world and point it in the direction of the transcendent (or the subtle and causal as other words for it). Hinduism is more tailored towards more advanced students, college level even. That doesn't mean that Christian symbolism is "stupid" or immature. It just means it serves a different purpose to speak to the average mind, the novice or unaware to point them to the deeper truths behind the metaphors.

Literalism, is what happens when they think the metaphors are the actualities themselves! That's where you get stuck at saying such things as a the Christian heaven is different from the Buddhist image of the transcendent? In language, sure. But is it really different in actuality? Yes, the index finger is not the ring finger, true. But the moon they are both pointing to is the same Moon, isn't it?

But there is no unity consciousness in the Abrahamic religions.
No? Are you sure?

"I pray that they may all be one. Father! May they be in us, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they be one"

"I and my Father are One!"

"For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
Certainly the last one sounds like a Oneness experience to me! I've experienced that personally, and that certainly describes it quite well! The other two, allude to that Unity Consciousness in the same sense as Jesus expressed it in his declaration of the Divine Mind in Jn. 8:58. There are other verses I could find as well, but transcendence of the ego is most definitely spoken of throughout Christian scriptures. "Those who lay down their lives shall find it", for instance.

They're not about consciousness or expanded awareness at all. :confused:
Wrong.

Again, what is this common goal?
Transcendence, liberation, Freedom. Enlightenment. Salvation. etc. It's all just different language systems to point to the same things. You seem to be arguing that the index finger is not the same as the ring finger, is not the same as the pinky finger, ignoring what each finger itself it pointing to.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Simplification is sometimes in order, when we can get lost in the weeds of focusing on the differences. We end up not being able to see the forest for the trees, in other words.
Good point, and a great point when Hinduism is being considered. Nothing ramifies into endless, minute details like Hinduism.:D
Of course there are different goals within the traditions, but I see those as the goal of the that particular path itself. But the ultimate goal of all of those paths or practices, or that particular yoga for instance, is liberation or transcendence. Path of service, path of devotion, path of meditation, path of knowledge, etc.
Still not seeing it.
confused-smiley-013.gif

The Abrahamic religions don't operate from any concept of transcendance, and the liberation of the two are completely different, as well. Liberation from God's condemnation for violating His mandates, vs liberation from illusion.
All paths share that same goal, which is to "overcome the world" of sin and suffering, or ignorance and illusion.
Not sure what overcoming means.
The dharmic religions have no concept of sin or punishment. The Abrahamic religions have no concept of illusion.
It's about 'salvation' or 'enlightenment' for all the genuine or authentic esoteric pathways. I qualify it as 'authentic paths', as systems or practices that seek power over others, for instance, is not authentic religion. That's in service of inflating the ego, not in service of transcending the ego.
Esoteric? Abrahamic religions? How so?
What makes a pathway genuine or authentic?
Enlightenment and salvation are about as similar as apples and air conditioners.
I wasn't aware that either tradition sought power over others as part of official doctrine. Examples?
Neither tradition involves inflating the ego, as far as I'm aware, and, again, transcendence is a foreign concept among Abrahamics.
The one thing all authentic religions have in common is overcoming the ego, either through surrender or dissolution.
Authentic religions?
Could you explain this 'overcoming'?
The Abrahamics have no expectation of loosing their ego or individulity. The dharmists expect a whole different experience of ego.
The common goal is liberation from its bondage, and the result is Unity Consciousness, or "Salvation", Enlightenment, Buddha Mind, Christ Consciousness, etc.
But there is no concept of unity consciousness in the Abrahamic religions. Alteration of consciousness is not an Abrahamic thing, and salvation is a foreign concept among the dharmists.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good point, and a great point when Hinduism is being considered. Nothing ramifies into endless, minute details like Hinduism.:D
Great, hopefully you'll be able to see it's the same in getting lost in the details of each particular religions doctrines as well. There is a larger picture to see for all of them, if you are able to pull back sufficiently enough to see it. By the way, if you didn't catch it in the last post, the fingers pointing at the moon metaphor, comes from Zen Buddhism, about Buddhism itself. People miss what the religion is pointing to, when they get hung up on the doctrines and the differences in doctrines.

Still not seeing it.
confused-smiley-013.gif
You think the four main yogas of Hinduism end up at different destinations? These are different paths that fit different types of people, but the end result should be the same for all of them, right?

"Yoga manifests itself as four major paths, namely Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, Rāja Yoga and Jñāna Yoga.​

These four paths are like the branches of a tree or tributaries of a river. They all have the same source and resting place. In essence, they are all the same.​

The only thing that differentiates them is that there is a certain aspect of the mind involved in a particular path or practice.​

The Four Paths of Yoga - Google Arts & Culture

Exact same thing applies to all religions.

The Abrahamic religions don't operate from any concept of transcendance, and the liberation of the two are completely different, as well. Liberation from God's condemnation for violating His mandates, vs liberation from illusion.
Not true. Christianity teaches about "overcoming the world". That means, following the will of God, versus the way of the flesh (or the ego). To walk in the Spirit, is, ideally, walking in an Enlightened way. The whole thing is about transcending the ego.

Now a few points here which I'll come back to later. What you are focusing on here is Exoteric view of the Divine. There is a difference between Exoteric religion and Esoteric religion. I put this together some time ago for point of reference to my understanding, drawing from the Integral philosopher Ken Wilber. From his book A Sociable God, he defines the different ways in which we can look at and talk about religion. This is my summary of that:

1. Religion as non-rational engagement:
- Deals with the non-rational aspects of existence such as faith, grace, etc.

2. Religion as meaningful or integrative engagement:
- A functional activity of seeking meaning, truth, integration, stability, etc.

3. Religion as an immortality project:
- A wishful, defensive, compensatory belief in order to assuage anxiety and fear

4. Religion as evolutionary growth:
- A more sophisticated concept that views history and evolution as a process towards self-realization, finding not so much an integration of current levels, but higher structures of truth towards a God-Realized Adaptation.

5. Religion as fixation and regression:
- A standard primitivization theory: religion is childish, illusion, myth.

6. Exoteric religion
- The outward aspects, belief systems to support faith. A non-esoteric religion. A potential predecessor to esoteric religion.

7. Esoteric religion
- The inward aspects of religious practices, either culminating in, or having a goal of mystical experience.

8. Legitimate religion:
- A system which provides meaningful integration of any given worldview or level. A legitimate supporting structure which allows productive functionality on that level, horizontally. The myth systems of the past can be called "legitimate" for their abilities to integrate. A crisis of legitimacy occurs when the symbols fail to integrate. This describes the failure of a myth's legitimacy we saw occur with the emergence of a new level of our conscious minds in the Enlightenment. Civil religion is one example of an attempt to provide legitimacy to this level, following the failure of the old legitimate system.

9. Authentic religion
- The relative degree of actual transformation delivered by a religion or worldview. This is on a vertical scale providing a means of reaching a higher level, as opposed to integrating the present level on a horizontal scale. It provides a means to transformation to higher levels, as opposed to integration of a present one.​

God as an external judge, apart from you and creation, is part of the mythology of an exoteric religion. While it's stories speak of "God above", those hopeful with time begin to be realized as "God within" in an esoteric religious experience. As you can see above it says R6, the exoteric religion, that it is a "potential predecessor esoteric tradition. That is the way most of these deeper inner truths of religion begin as in the practitioner, as something outside of themselves.

Not sure what overcoming means.
Transcending the ego and its impulses. Overcoming the systems of the world which appeal to the 'flesh', or better put, the ego's avoidance of the Self. As simple as that, and as difficult as that to do. "Many are called, but few are chosen" in other words. ;)

The dharmic religions have no concept of sin or punishment. The Abrahamic religions have no concept of illusion.
The dharmic religions speak of illusion, which is to say the illusion of the separate self. Sin, is the awareness of the separate self, or isolation from God. Maya, the word of illusion is the illusion of separateness. So sin is in fact, nothing other than the sense of separation from God - which is an illusion of the mind. You see? It's saying the same thing, just with different ways of talking about it. Both are aware of the same thing. Suffering, or a 'fallen state' as the Christians calls it.

Esoteric? Abrahamic religions? How so?
Of course, yes. All religions have both exoteric forms, and esoteric realizations. See explanation above. Christianity has many mystical traditions within it, especially in the East. But in the West, you have St. John of the Cross, Teresa of Avila, Meister Eckhart, the Desert Fathers, and so forth. Certainly Christianity can be an esoteric religion.

Is that in the Bible? Of course, in a great many places. Take the Apostle Paul for instance speaking of himself in the 3rd person in 2 Corinthians, "I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows." That is most definitely a mystical experience. There are countless other verses I could pull out, if you still doubt.

What makes a pathway genuine or authentic?
See reference above in the explanation of legitimate religion and authentic religion as separate distinctions.

Enlightenment and salvation are about as similar as apples and air conditioners.
Nonsense. They are identical. It's just different words for the same thing - experientially speaking, that is. Salvation is liberation from the bondage of the separate self, which creates suffering, or "salvation from sin", to use that metaphor. They are identical in a realized state.

Christians who imagine it as some entry on a legal legar line in God's admission into heaven book, are "thinking as a child", to quote from the Apostle Paul in 1 Cor. 13.

I wasn't aware that either tradition sought power over others as part of official doctrine. Examples?
They don't. I was only citing an example of what an illegitimate or inauthentic religion would look like. If you were looking for an example, then I'd say something maybe like black magic, or Satanism, where the person is seeking power to inflate their weak ego, sort of like Putin wanting to enlarge his ego by killing civilians, sort of illegitimacy. Or you could think of the trap of those seeking the siddhis to be a showoff and gain followers. That's illegitimate.

transcendence is a foreign concept among Abrahamics.
No it's not. "And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another." 2 Cor. 3:18. That is absolutely transcendence. That is only one of countless other examples within the Christian scriptures.

Could you explain this 'overcoming'?
The same thing as removing obstacles in your life in order to overcome the ego. Prayers to Ganesha are towards that purpose, aren't they? To remove obstacles? That's "overcoming the world". It's the same thing in Christianity.

"For I delight in the law of God after the inward man: But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord"​

That's the same thing as asking any of the gods to help overcome those obstacles which stand in the way of overcoming the small self, to Realize divine release. It's identical in practice and experience. Just dressed up with different language.

The Abrahamics have no expectation of loosing their ego or individulity.
Well, I don't think Jesus necessarily thought that, as when asked which of her seven different husbands the woman who died would be bound with in heaven, Jesus called them fools, imagining they would be the same as on earth. "they neither marry or are given in marriage, but are as the angles in heaven". So I can't imagine it's just the genitalia that gets' lost after death. ;)

But even so, those differences are really only cosmetic. Of course you will have different ideas about heaven, just as "God" has different faces in different religions. The Christian sees Christ. The Buddhist sees Avalokiteshvara, the Hindu sees Krisha, etc. But they are all faces of the same Divine Reality. Again, fingers, not the Moon itself.

Anyway, I hope I've made my point with examples here. Plenty more I could find if still in doubt.

Last edited:

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
no not the same. the Bible god is virulent violent god. unlike the god of islam.
The god of Islam is also a violent and unjust god. He needlessly tortures billions of people in hell, as well as killing millions, including innocent children, through natural disasters.
He also instructs his followers to fight against those who refuse to worship him, plus he encourages the use of torture and using female captives for sex, and permits slavery.

To claim one is a monster while the other is a saint is extremely naive or ill-informed or dishonest. Which is it with you?

KWED

Scratching head, scratching knee
But aren't they the same God, just different events?
According to Islam, yes they are. The Quran says god of the Bible is the same god as the god of the Quran. Unfortunately, @stanberger doesn't appear to have read the Quran, so he wouldn't know that.