• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Atheists treated fairly?

Waymarker

I am an Atheist myself, (Hence the name), However, i have always come across some abuse over the years becuase of it; and i'm sure others would agree with me. So the question i put forward is:

It cuts both ways, you should see some of the filthy obscene abuse I get from atheists..;)

Waymarker

..You should see how arrogant christians are......Oh am I generalising too?
GhK.

I've been kicked out of at least 2 arrogant fundie xian forums for ruffling their feathers so I know they exist..;)
I was also kicked out of the RichardDawkins.net atheist forum for upsetting them too, see there are closed minds on both sides..;)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
So the question i put forward is:

The fact that I'm an atheist doesn't come up in situations where it isn't relevant, so I don't put myself in the position of being treated unfairly. I don't presume everyone shares my view, or that the world revolves around me, so I don't feel that it's appropriate to spout of my views whenever I please.

If only others who have different beliefs shared my view. I have an automatic bias against people who inappropriately express their personal beliefs, and this bias has definitely resulted in these people getting the short end when I've had decisions to make.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
yeah it was really funny up until the end when he started shouting over muslims :rolleyes: other than that, it was really good :)
Then there is the part where he completley misrepresents the LDS Church.

A post on another forum I read summed it up fairly well,
I think what Maher does in the film in the section about Mormons is vile and dishonest. While talking with Tal Bachman, who appears to be relishing the opportunity to slam the church with a hollywood star, Maher starts reading what he says are some tenets of the Mormon church. While reading such erroneous things as "Mormons believe that through righteousness blacks skin can become lighter and eventually white" he intersperses it with clips of some church produced videos. Without any clarification he starts showing clips from The Godmakers as though it was a church produced video. He doesn't reveal where the clips came from or that they were produced with the intent to attack the church by a dishonest, discredited ex-mormon. With the cartoon sections of the Godmakers it appears as though it is a church produced video discussing our belief about God and his wives living near Kolob and how we will be judged by Joseph Smith. I would be greatly surprised if any non-mormon watching this, who knew very little about the church, didn't walk away thinking this.