• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Gun-Owners Delusional, Dishonest, Indifferent or Just Ignorant of the Evidence?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If you have any argument that it is not a contradiction to own a gun for purposes of "protection"
Please show how those facts you have proposed prevent or show a prevention of my ability to use my home defense weapons in the event of a violent assault.

Nous

Premium Member
Please show how those facts you have proposed prevent or show a prevention of my ability to use my home defense weapons in the event of a violent assault.
The contradiction stated in the OP does not entail any assumption about your "abilities".

Curious George

Veteran Member
It is perfectly rational to assume that having a gun in the home increases your risk since that is what the statistic show.

If we had a statistic that said 75% of men choose vanilla ice cream over chocolate, then I could assume that an individual man is more likely to choose vanilla. I’m not sure what the difference in the application of gun safety statistics is here.
Yet no homocides or suicide has occurred in Mr. Emu's home. So he is not part of the group in the same respect that he is part of the male group.

There is a second layer here where there is not in your example. None of the studies showed 70% of gun owners like vanilla ice cream or anything of that sort. You are simply using a bad analogy to cover the bad use of statistics.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
The contradiction stated in the OP does not entail any assumption about your "abilities".
Exactly. As I have expressed several times throughout the thread, my purpose in having a gun present in my home is to furnish the aforementioned ability/possibility. Any purported contradiction must address that purpose, which you have stated is not different in substance to the survey response, or be relegated to irrelevance.

Nous

Premium Member
Exactly. As I have expressed several times throughout the thread, my purpose in having a gun present in my home is to furnish the aforementioned ability/possibility. Any purported contradiction must address that purpose, which you have stated is not different in substance to the survey response, or be relegated to irrelevance.
The contradiction stated in the OP remains a contradiction regardless of your abilities or your claimed abilities.

Punta Piñal

Heretic
The authorities will never enforce gun control equitably, given the interlocking forces of official corruption, out-of-state illicit supply lines, drug trafficking, and gang-based profit, to not mention official and private collusion in this commercial arms-and-drugs business. The CIA, DEA, FBI, State Department, local police, military, et al. have long been in cahoots with the mafia and criminal networks as part of covert operations and protected drug rackets that are responsible for so much inner-city and foreign violence. The ruling economic classes are the chief perpetrators of this nexus and will under no circumstances kill this golden goose by fully enforcing gun-control legislature. Instead of targeting the chief sources of illicit gun running, they will crack down on law-aiding citizens, while concentrating weapons and wealth in criminal elements, militarized law enforcement, the military, and shadowy corporate interests. Hence billionaire “progressives” and hedge funders like George Soros back gun-control legislature. They know it would further rather than hinder their interests. In other words, they know law-abiding citizens will be progressively disarmed, while the powerful public-private-criminal elements will tighten their grip on society (and especially politics, an area long under their control). Oddly, for the same reason, pro-gun rightwing lobbyists like the NRA oppose gun-control legislature, because, if enforced equitably, it would crack down on the gun manufacturers and arms dealers that profit so handsomely from the criminal-corporate-government nexus. So we have a disinformation war in which the left and right wings of the essentially fascist, capitalist criminal-corporate-government nexus seek to polarize society, while slowly but steadily concentrating wealth, power, and weaponry in the arteries of the corporatist state, as in Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany.