• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Humans Animals Or Not ?

Massimo2002

And if so or not why ? I personally think that humans share lots of similar things to animals but I also know that there are things that separate us from animals so to me it would seem that humans are part animal and part higher than animal.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Meher Baba's view is the the soul evolves through increasingly developed forms until evolution of consciousness is complete in the human form. To put it simply, humans are fully evolved animals.

The driving force of evolution consists in the momentum consciousness receives owing to the conservation of the impressions (sanskaras) left by diverse desires or conditions. Thus the sanskaras cultivated in a particular form have to be worked out and fulfilled through the medium of a higher form and a correspondingly more developed consciousness of the gross world. The soul, therefore, has to assume higher and higher forms (like metal, vegetable, worm, fish, bird and animal) until at last it assumes a human form, in which it has fully developed consciousness — in all the aspects of knowing, feeling, and willing — of the gross world.

danieldemol

Premium Member
And if so or not why ? I personally think that humans share lots of similar things to animals but I also know that there are things that separate us from animals so to me it would seem that humans are part animal and part higher than animal.
What makes us higher than an animal?
Even if we possess a spirit that would just make us an animal with a spirit in my view.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Of course we are animals. That is completely unavoidable since we do the same things as any other creature on this Earth. We fight over our women, we defend our territory , an employ our evolutionary strengths and weaknesses given to us by Nature.

Not to mention that we have fur, are warm-blooded , have remnants of our tails among other vestigial organs and characteristics within like our dormant genes holding our ancestry, webbing between our fingers on our very bodies. Cladistics and taxonomy maps our sojourney through the animal kingdom quite well and shows are common traits as animals as a part of the great ape family that branched off into hominids.

I wouldn't think we are higher than animals. In fact , we're not even the dominant species on the planet, as humans have their own predators to contend with , although we definitely and most certainly fall into the category as apex omnivores we are certainly not the most successful species on this planet.

I tend to think eventually , we will go out like the dinosaurs in some fashion either by our own hand , or by a massive act of nature.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, the taxonomy of homo sapiens is the kingdom of animalia.

Scientific classification
Domain: Eukaryota
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Suborder: Haplorhini
Infraorder: Simiiformes
Family: Hominidae
Subfamily: Homininae
Tribe: Hominini
Genus: Homo

Arnaud1221

I would say that just the fact that animals don't have house and tools, car and much more. For the sexual relation, maybe it's a little primitive.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It all depends on how you define "Animal" and "Human". The amount of things that separate us from animals is probably equal to the amount of things that can separate us from other humans. Individuality is the standard and humans tend to group similar individual things into categories based on certain aspects. When it comes to species we currently use DNA and genes, but within each species, humans included, there are significant differences individually. So, it all comes down to your definitions or basically your opinion. The world is not going to collapse whether Humans are animals or not as I doubt most animals consider themselves animals and we have no way of communicating with them.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, they are. Because humans are not plantae, fungi, eubacteria, protista, or archaebacteria.

Kingdoms-of-Life-in-Biology.png

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I personally think that humans share lots of similar things to animals but I also know that there are things that separate us from animals so to me it would seem that humans are part animal and part higher than animal.
You're not wrong. I've seen many humans that are "higher" than other animals, especially since a certain substance became more readily available.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
it would seem that humans are part animal and part higher than animal.
You seem to be using a lay or colloquial definition of animal. Others have already given you your answer using a scientific definition: yes, man is an animal.

When I was growing up, sentences like, "Don't behave like an animal" and "We went to the zoo to see the animals" made sense because we were excluding humanity. We wanted people to behave like human beings, not animals, as if these were mutually exclusive classes. We also didn't consider insects animals then, but biologists do.

So the answer to your question varies by the meaning one assigns the word animal. YOUR answer will depend on YOUR definition of animal, which appears to be the one I've called a lay definition.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Meher Baba's view is the the soul evolves through increasingly developed forms until evolution of consciousness is complete in the human form. To put it simply, humans are fully evolved animals.
Which implies that there's no further that evolution can go. I think that's a bit of a far-fetched notion.

Audie

Veteran Member
Of course we are animals. That is completely unavoidable since we do the same things as any other creature on this Earth. We fight over our women, we defend our territory , an employ our evolutionary strengths and weaknesses given to us by Nature.

Not to mention that we have fur, are warm-blooded , have remnants of our tails among other vestigial organs and characteristics within like our dormant genes holding our ancestry, webbing between our fingers on our very bodies. Cladistics and taxonomy maps our sojourney through the animal kingdom quite well and shows are common traits as animals as a part of the great ape family that branched off into hominids.

I wouldn't think we are higher than animals. In fact , we're not even the dominant species on the planet, as humans have their own predators to contend with , although we definitely and most certainly fall into the category as apex omnivores we are certainly not the most successful species on this planet.

I tend to think eventually , we will go out like the dinosaurs in some fashion either by our own hand , or by a massive act of nature.
I.o.w. an inherently silly q.