• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Humans Animals Or Not ?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I.o.w. an inherently silly q.
I would think so.

Every living organism on this planet is an animal and it's quite clear that humans are no exception to the rule.

I do get curious as to what people mean that we are higher than the animals. I'm sure such reasons given will be quite interesting to read.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Every living organism on this planet is an animal
You probably know that's incorrect. Your definition of animal is too broad, since it includes bacteria, plants and fungi, which are also living things.
Of course we are animals. That is completely unavoidable since we do the same things as any other creature on this Earth.
Again, your definition of animal is too broad. Animals including human animals don't do what every other living thing does. They don't photosynthesize, for example.

Heyo

Veteran Member
You probably know that's incorrect. Your definition of animal is too broad, since it includes bacteria, plants and fungi, which are also living things.

Again, your definition of animal is too broad. Animals including human animals don't do what every other living thing does. They don't photosynthesize, for example.
You beat me to it.
Even people who generally accept the ToE can get their clades in a bunch. I attribute that to a lack of understanding of set theory. And especially people who think that humans are "more than" animals haven't understood the concept.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
And just think about how many humans can't drive a stick!

5bad518d2400003100549822.jpeg
Is that Lancelot Link in retirement?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
As like many, I will go with the evidence, and I find it particularly distressing/annoying/amusing to see so many not even recognising our origins but instead preferring some particular religious belief that might tend to separate us from the rest of life - and rather obvious if such a God had supposed intentions for us (being such wonderful creatures - but aren't), but where we might have created such a God too.

PureX

Veteran Member
Once again a binary question is incapable of producing and honest or intelligible answer. Humans are both physical (animals) and metaphysical (cognitive) beings. We exist as both realms of being with an awareness of yet a third "divine" realm of being from which the others spring.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Once again a binary question is incapable of producing and honest or intelligible answer. Humans are both physical (animals) and metaphysical (cognitive) beings. We exist as both realms of being with an awareness of yet a third "divine" realm of being from which the others spring.
Does this apply equally to our ancestors, and as to what stage of development would this apply - the divine realm, that is?