• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Humans Animals Or Not ?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
You bring up a good point. We have huge brains and lack abilities of other animals. We have our strengths which far surpass the rest of the animal kingdom. Our brains, the capacity to make sophisticated tools. The capacity to make tools that make other tools. We can accumulate and build on knowledge. I've ony scratched the tip of the iceberg here.
It is well known that other animals also use tools. There is no qualitative difference between humans and other animals. The difference is quantitative -- we make tools to a greater degree. But basically building a rocket ship is the same trait as a chimp making a termite stick kit.

Whether or not something is an animal or plant or bacteria or whatever is just a taxonomic classification. Yes, we are animals. You could look up the exact classification, and someone else already posted it. It doesn't mean anything. It's just how we recognize organisms to study them.

DNB

Christian
And if so or not why ? I personally think that humans share lots of similar things to animals but I also know that there are things that separate us from animals so to me it would seem that humans are part animal and part higher than animal.
In our physical state, we are animals. But man has a spiritual dimension within his constitution that no other creature on earth has - he was created in the image of God.
Ever since history began, man has worshipped the transcendent; he has the ability to perceive past the physical and material realm, and acts accordingly - his battles on earth are not solely about survival as is the case for all other non humans.

Man is described as altruistic, greedy, selfish, compassionate, vain, arrogant, merciful, generous, bigoted, wicked, or righteous - can this be said about any other creature on this planet?

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
When compared to the rest of the animal kingdom I can't simply classify man as another animal. I mean, we are leaps and bounds above everything else. Not perfect by any means, but still no other creature on earth even comes close to what we are, so even if I were a naturalist I would have to consider this huge difference between us and them if I were honest with myself.

We are aware that we are aware that we are aware. Look at a glass of water. Are you aware you're looking at it? Are you aware of that secondary awareness and the 3rd awareness which is to say you are aware that you are aware that you are aware? This is a distinct difference from animals that shows a higher level of awareness.

We live in an environment with animals, that is if we don't end up killing all of them. We share the commonalities necessary for our function here that are also shared by animals. It doesn't mean we are anything like them.
We're more like them than many people are willing to admit. I, myself, accept that I am a part of the rich and diverse animal kingdom. I view us as sometimes seemingly greater and then at times worse than any creature. This is in part due to our complexity in comparison to the rest. Humanity shares so much with our animal kindred that I can deny the relation.

☆Dreamwind☆

Yes we absolutely are. We're made of flesh and bone, we're multi-cellular, we like some other creatures have evolved an interdependent society to help boost our chance for survival. But we're not rigid and instinctive about the roles we play, like ants or bees. We're pliable. Or we try to be anyway.

Bear Wild

In our physical state, we are animals. But man has a spiritual dimension within his constitution that no other creature on earth has - he was created in the image of God.
Ever since history began, man has worshipped the transcendent; he has the ability to perceive past the physical and material realm, and acts accordingly - his battles on earth are not solely about survival as is the case for all other non humans.

Man is described as altruistic, greedy, selfish, compassionate, vain, arrogant, merciful, generous, bigoted, wicked, or righteous - can this be said about any other creature on this planet?

So god looks like a human?

How in the world could you know whether animals have spiritual dimensions at all or is this just an egotistical desire on your part to feel superior?

Animals have been shown to be altruistic, greedy, selfish compassionate, and generous although you may have them beat on the vain, arrogant and wicked.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
We're more like them than many people are willing to admit. I, myself, accept that I am a part of the rich and diverse animal kingdom. I view us as sometimes seemingly greater and then at times worse than any creature. This is in part due to our complexity in comparison to the rest. Humanity shares so much with our animal kindred that I can deny the relation.
By the way, I meant "I can't deny the relation." I don't know where or what happened to the edit function. Sorry for any confusion, if any.

DNB

Christian
So god looks like a human?

How in the world could you know whether animals have spiritual dimensions at all or is this just an egotistical desire on your part to feel superior?

Animals have been shown to be altruistic, greedy, selfish compassionate, and generous although you may have them beat on the vain, arrogant and wicked.
Whenever anyone asks me 'how do you know if animals are spiritual?' it aborts the conversation immediately

Bear Wild

Whenever anyone asks me 'how do you know if animals are spiritual?' it aborts the conversation immediately
So you are that afraid that animals are spiritual that you would abort the conversation? How in the world would a spiritual animal threaten you to that degree? Of course, animals can be spiritual and hiding from the reality will not make the fact go away. I experience the spiritual nature of other animals both like me and not like me all of the time. It is a beautiful experience.

Bthoth

And if so or not why ? I personally think that humans share lots of similar things to animals but I also know that there are things that separate us from animals so to me it would seem that humans are part animal and part higher than animal.
Life that has evolved from nature. You can actually witness a whole bunch of human attributes of ourselves, just spread out over many species.

Instinctive until becoming conscious. An aye. Aware of being alive and capable to articulate your own perspective (conscious awareness) human.

That is what the story of adam/eve transition is about. The women, first conscious taught the man (male). Evolved through empathy of child birth, mother to infant newborn. Our species could not survive without that instinctive attention to another life (empathy).

Upon conscious words and methods of measure began to be shared. Over time knowledge evolved. Much of the old phenomena could not be understood; gods were created to represent the phenomena of natures unknown.

morals, stories, lessons, wisdom..... man made to assist the next generations. personal responsibility is key.

thanks for the query

☆Dreamwind☆

And just think about how many humans can't drive a stick!

5bad518d2400003100549822.jpeg
When you start to worry about getting into Grampy's car. :laughing: