• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Men Necessary In Raising Children?

cardero

Citizen Mod
Circle_One said:
However, I still stand by my statement that a man is not needed to raise a child, as long as the mother is prepared to take on both roles equally.
I don't know Circle_One. One parent is good (I was raised by my mother) but can you imagine the serious children we could be raising together? Makes me want to open a Day Care business with you. :cool:

Ozzie

cardero said:
I don't know Circle_One. One parent is good (I was raised by my mother) but can you imagine the serious children we could be raising together? Makes me want to open a Day Care business with you. :cool:

Call it "Daddy Daycare"./

Circle_One

jmoum said:
Yeah, you might not need another guy, but if you happen to find a really nice one, it wouldn't hurt, would it? :p

. . . especially if he has a ton of money. That's always a nice little bonus. Or big bonus if his last name happens to be either "Gates" or "Trump"

As funny as this is, and believe me, I'm giggling, I still have to argue :p

I currently have an amazing guy, with a good amount of money (Rockstar is better than Gates or Trump :D), however, as awesome as he is with Justyce and as much as he loves Justyce, I would never expect him, or really allow him to take over caring for him. My boy is my boy. No one else's.

As for the money thing. I tend to run a little too independent for most people, including Dean, who gets really mad at me when I won't let him spend his money on me, though I often spend my money on him. I like being able to take care of myself and my family, without having to depend on anyone else. I have too much pride to allow anyone to take care of me, or Justyce.

That being said, Cardero, you've got me there. I've got no one to teach Justyce how to dance with Elmo :(

CDRaider

cardero said:

Oh my, that would be how you say interesting. You know, I would send my children there. They need to be exposed to unconventional wisdoms and methods at some point! THe ealier they become tolerant the better! :monkey:

:p

Circle_One

cardero said:

Oooh, I'm in ;)

I certainly do need someone to do the Elmo dance.

We'd fill the world with future rockstars and movie critics :D

CDRaider

Circle_One said:
As for the money thing. I tend to run a little too independent for most people, including Dean, who gets really mad at me when I won't let him spend his money on me, though I often spend my money on him. I like being able to take care of myself and my family, without having to depend on anyone else. I have too much pride to allow anyone to take care of me, or Justyce.

Yeah, I'm the same exact way. I do that to JMoum all the time. He can't stand it. Since I won't let him spend money on me he spends his time telling me how amazing I am and carrying everything and opening every door and the like. :D

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Circle_One said:
Oooh, I'm in ;)

I certainly do need someone to do the Elmo dance.

We'd fill the world with future rockstars and movie critics :D

question 1) what is the age limit of your day care?

question 2) can i enroll?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Sunstone said:
Are men necessary in raising children? Do they have an essential role to play that cannot be done by women? If so, what is that?
No, men are not essential in raising a child, but then, neither are women.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Sunstone said:
Are men necessary in raising children? Do they have an essential role to play that cannot be done by women? If so, what is that?
I don't think it's absolutely necessary in raising happy children to have a male around, but it helps considerably. I think it's a positive for girls to have a father with whom they have a close bond. I've read studies that claim girls who have a healthy loving relationship with their father tend to wait longer for sex because they aren't hungry for the approval of a man. I've also read that boys need a strong male role model to emulate and help define their own masculinity. A male role model can help with self esteem for boys.

I think we do our society as a whole a great disservice to say that one sex is better over the other for raising children. Kids need the influence of both men and women growing up....however they can get it. Whether it be through their fathers, uncles, grandfathers, or friends of the mother, it's beneficial to children to be around both sexes.

lizskid

BANNED
I'm not sure either person is essential in childrearing. That would be especially true if the one missing, were he/she there, was not active and conscious of the weight of role modeling! Would another active parent be helpful? You betcha!

Cardero!!! I can do your whole list, plus juggle and do an amazing elephant trumpet routine!!!!! I think many women or men here might be able to do so!

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
Circle_One said:
I dare anyone to take a look at my son, having been raised alone, by me, and tell me he would have been better off if his drug addict, abusive father had stuck around.

Good Parent > No Parent > Bad Parent.

Two heads are better than one.

Gender has no meaning.

I think that every point i can make at the moment.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
lizskid said:
Would another active parent be helpful? You betcha!
Sure would have been for me. Both my husband and I grew up without fathers. Our mothers are wonderful strong women and worked very hard to raise us and of course we are grateful for that. We had good childhood years.

Rick and I have talked for great lengths about what it meant for us to not have a dad around growing up. And we agreed that we've had significant abandonment issues rise up through the years which I think is quite natural given the circumstances. As a child you wonder why your father doesn't care enough to pay child support or come see you. It affects your self esteem. Maybe not everyone feels this way but it was a factor for us.

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
I think a good man can contribute a great deal to the raising of children. I certainly don't believe that EVERY woman or man are qualified to raise children. Being a woman doesn't makes one a good mother any more than being a man makes one a wife beating child molesting poster child of the Lifetime channel. But in general, with the rising divorce rate, men are viewed more as ATM machines than as fathers.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
I just wish my life gave me a chance to acctually be worrying about something like never meeting my father.

Too much else to deal with.

Ciscokid

Sunstone said:

Are men necessary? No, but neither are women...parent(s) or guardians are necessary though.

I have learned very much from the men in my life.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
i had one parent, my mum and i never needed a father, i think it benefited me more not having a father as i have a hell of alot of respect for women which i don't think i would have if my dad had been around, i had an interest in meeting him when i was about 12 but that soon faded after my mum went for child support and he was 'advised' to say he wasn't my father, i don't think i've ever felt so hurt in my life! All in all i'm glad that i didn't have a dad!

Random

It is not necessary to involve a man in the raising of children, as women are generally more than adequate to the task alone.

However, men have built a society in which their sex can thrive and dominate, frequently @ at the expense of the other sex: in avoidance of this, a woman raising children alone should be able to access a variety of social services to support them in whatever way is most efficate. In most western countries, this is case to a considerable degree already: good!

I remember way back when in Ireland under the undue influence of the Catholic Church being a single mother was said to be shameful, a terrible sin: but a great man named Noel Browne used his political clout to start the "Mother-and-Child" scheme which saw those women raising children alone supported. Now it's a natural thing to find single mothers and no-one blinks.

This, I feel, is properly civilised. It is how it should be.