• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are "New Atheists" Too Obsessed With Religion?

Are you sympathetic to "New Atheism" ?

• Yes

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 44.7%
  • Other (Explain)

Votes: 11 23.4%

• Total voters

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If you re-post a brief summary I will read it. I scanned it, but no relevance to the discussion in hand was apparent.
You asked an off-topic question that I answered, and followed up with another one that I also answered. The second question can barely be addressed by a separate thread, let alone a single post. Certainly, I cannot but touch upon some example summaries of cliff notes of the relevant issues and arguments in a single post.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
You asked an off-topic question that I answered, and followed up with another one that I also answered. The second question can barely be addressed by a separate thread, let alone a single post. Certainly, I cannot but touch upon some example summaries of cliff notes of the relevant issues and arguments in a single post.
They are irrelevant anyway. Of course the NA have no new arguments, there is no new evidence. Of course it is not as intellectually interesting as counter apologetics was centuries ago - the arguments they are obliged to address were demolished before they were even born.
The criticisms of the NA you post are frankly laughable - you accuse them of a lack of intellectual vigour, and yet appear to forget that they have no arguments to apply such vigour to. Yes much of what they are doing is simply pointing out the obvious - immaterial beings are non-existent beings for example, but they are popularising these simple and obvious truths with astonishing success. The NA were and are a publishing sensation - you keep posting nonsense about how most intelligent atheists are distancing themselves from them, which I find to be hilarious. Sure they sold countless millions of books, got an incomparable amount of publicity across the world and influenced an entire generation - but they are failures because they have no new arguments and are so nasty that most atheists don't want to associate with them? ROLFMAO

Your entire argument against them is nothing short of a busload of sour grapes from offended believers.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well shifting the burden of proof is hardly a challenge. Nor is confusing atheism for some kind of knowledge claim. That sort of blunt misconception was thoroughly dismissed centuries ago.
No shifting of burden of proof necessary, nor confusing atheism with nothing.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Of course it's no challenge to "Not Applicable." I wouldn't expect it to be.
The way you simply pretend not to understand like that makes discussion with you incredibly boring and pointless. Sorry, i'll ignore your comments from now on.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They are irrelevant anyway. Of course the NA have no new arguments, there is no new evidence.
The new atheists are new evidence, in particular a way for the cognitive and evolutionary study of religion as natural because they show that the new atheism is close enough to a religion to conform to the cognitive and evolutionary accounts of religion. I've attached/uploaded one such study for you.

As for the rest, I am willing to discuss arguments like the fine-tuning argument, but I am not going to present the argument myself just to have you either ignore most of what I state, claim it is not true without evidence, or otherwise dismiss without addressing what I state, particularly as if I present this argument I'm presenting an argument I don't find convincing either (and I'm not going to do that just to be ignored, dismissed, and/or told I'm wrong without evidence about some point relating to cosmology, particle physics, etc.).

the arguments they are obliged to address were demolished before they were even born.
Feel free also to present the arguments presented by the founders of the new atheists in relation to apologetics or apologetic arguments too.

The criticisms of the NA you post are frankly laughable
Feel free to present these and show how they are.

Feel free to present anything such that I don't find myself presenting arguments for no reason.

Attachments

• Religion is Natural Atheism is not.pdf
    251.8 KB · Views: 82

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
The new atheists are new evidence, in particular a way for the cognitive and evolutionary study of religion as natural because they show that the new atheism is close enough to a religion to conform to the cognitive and evolutionary accounts of religion. I've attached/uploaded one such study for you.
Sorry, mate - that objection makes no sense at all. No they are not new evidence, they are a small group of popular authors. If you are comparing NA to a religion, you are comparing the incomparable.
As for the rest, I am willing to discuss arguments like the fine-tuning argument, but I am not going to present the argument myself just to have you either ignore most of what I state, claim it is not true without evidence, or otherwise dismiss without addressing what I state, particularly as if I present this argument I'm presenting an argument I don't find convincing either (and I'm not going to do that just to be ignored, dismissed, and/or told I'm wrong about some point relating to cosmology, particle physics, etc.).
I agree, the fine tuning nonsense is not worth discussing - it is a long dead fallacy. Same with that ancient nonsense - the kalam. The argument I did give, and Stenger gave you ignored.
Feel free also to present the arguments presented by the founders of the new atheists in relation to apologetics or apologetic arguments too.
To what end?
Feel free to present these and show how they are.

Feel free to present anything such that I don't find myself presenting arguments for no reason.
I did specify, several times.
I also gave a disproof, one that is essentially the same as part of Stengers - but you have utterly ignored it.

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Legion

Do you have any examples of immaterial beings that are known to exist? Then at least there is some kind of precedent for comparison.

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Sorry, mate - that objection makes no sense at all.
I wasn't objecting. I have never been involved in a study on the scientific religion, so if atheists presented a problem for the mainstream/accepted theory I wouldn't affect me. I was just pointing out that they are evidence themselves as I find this interesting and providing you with a sample study of how this is so.

No they are not new evidence, they are a small group of popular authors.
So you've said. That's not an argument, and is why I am not going to present arguments as I have done just so you can dismiss them without evidence, as you just did.

If you are comparing NA to a religion, you are comparing the incomparable.
I am merely reporting the science. If you have objections with that or other similar research, you can present them here if you wish, but simply dismissing the literature without being aware of what it contains is the very reason I am not going to get drawn into a debate in which I present arguments and you do what you just did. In this thread, you repeatedly stated things about the new atheist that were not in fact true, you never once presented an actual argument from them I had to present their arguments and then critique them only only to have you "clarify" your position to align with what I presented theirs to be.

I agree, the fine tuning nonsense is not worth discussing
Oh it's worth discussing. Were it not, it wouldn't be considered a problem in general for physicists.