• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Open Marriages Immoral?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Are there any grounds for asserting that open marriages (marriages in which both partners willingly allow each other to have sexual partners outside the marriage) are immoral? If so, what are those grounds?

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Are there any grounds for asserting that open marriages (marriages in which both partners willingly allow each other to have sexual partners outside the marriage) are immoral? If so, what are those grounds?

If those involved can figure out a way to make it work as a relationship, it's their business whether they want to do it or not. The problems are likely to be practical and emotional more than moral, I think.

Aqualung

Tasty
I don't see how it's anyones business.

You don't see how whether or not you think there are grounds for saying an open marriage is immoral is anybody's business? Or do you mean you don't see how there is any grounds for somebody to know about an open marriage (which is completely unrelated to the OP)?

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
doppelgänger;972366 said:
If those involved can figure out a way to make it work as a relationship, it's their business whether they want to do it or not. The problems are likely to be practical and emotional more than moral, I think.

This is exactly what I was thinking, Brendan. Playing devil's advocate, though, how can we preclude practicality and emotions when we are discussing the morality of an issue? If morality is a barometer for a code of conduct, is it not for the sake of what is most practical and what is most considerate of others?

Peace,
Mystic

doppelganger

If morality is a barometer for a code of conduct, is it not for the sake of what is most practical and what is most considerate of others?
Thank you, John Stuart Mill . . . :p

There are lots of moral arguments that are horribly impractical, terrifically inconsiderate of others and cause or contribute to cause untold human suffering. Opposition to safe sex eduction and birth control (particularly in LDCs) is one obvious example. When "morality"="utilitarian" I agree with you, the decision about practicality is a moral one. Don't most people imagine some ideal "morality" out there that secretly guides us regardless of the perspective and circumstances as to what is "right" and "wrong" though?

Nanda

Polyanna
Or do you mean you don't see how there is any grounds for somebody to know about an open marriage (which is completely unrelated to the OP)?

Cute. It's not completely unrelated to the OP, as I'm of the opinion that it's not my business to impose my sexual morality on other people, ergo, I don't see how it's anyone's business what goes on inside someone else's marriage, making whether it is moral or immoral irrelevant - I think morality would be completely subjective in this case.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
doppelgänger;972382 said:
Don't most people imagine some ideal "morality" out there that secretly guides us regardless of the perspective and circumstances as to what is "right" and "wrong" though?

It's quite dangerous to think that way about morality. Morality divorced from circumstances is morality divorced from reality.

TashaN

Veteran Member
Premium Member

What's the point in getting married then? For decoration?

Aside from this being my business or not, in general, i fail to see the point in such a marriage!

doppelganger

What's the point in getting married then? For decoration?

Whatever point someone has in deciding to do so. Can you imagine the possibility that someone else sees a reason in their own life to do something, even if you think you wouldn't?

Ringer

Jar of Clay

I would say a resounding yes on this one. But, I'm sure most people here would know the Christian response to this so I probably don't need to go into a detailed explanation as to why.

Our bodies are God's temple which means it is a whole lot more than a vehicle by which we derive sexual gratification. Within the context of marriage (one sexual partner), sexual intercourse is one way we bring honor to God because from what I discern from the Bible, that was how it was intended. Going outside the institution of marriage for sexual edification could be comparable to prostitution. I imagine in an open marriage you could have a signficant other you would be having sex with besides your wife/husband but the reasoning is still the same.

Sex is more than a physical expience but a merging of that along with our spirtuality. When you take that experience outside of marriage, you are eliminating the spiritual reverance of it and you no longer acknowledging the fact that your body was created by a holy God and has a grander purpose than the fulfillment of sexual desires.

Ringer

Jar of Clay
I would also like to add that my Christian POV put aside, it would be hard for me to imagine an open-ended marriage working as well as a traditional style marriage. I personally wouldn't like the fact that my wife is seeking sexual experiences outside of our bedroom. Maybe I'm just a jealous guy though.

Aqualung

Tasty
Thanks. :flirt:

It's not completely unrelated to the OP, as I'm of the opinion that it's not my business to impose my sexual morality on other people, ergo, I don't see how it's anyone's business what goes on inside someone else's marriage, making whether it is moral or immoral irrelevant - I think morality would be completely subjective in this case.
well, at least you took the time to clarify so I could understand what you actually talking about. Thanks. It's just that one sentence responses can almost never do justice to the OP, and almost always seem off topic or irrelevant to me.

Nanda

Polyanna
Thanks. :flirt:

*pats*

well, at least you took the time to clarify so I could understand what you actually talking about. Thanks. It's just that one sentence responses can almost never do justice to the OP, and almost always seem off topic or irrelevant to me.

That's alright, I have a nasty habit of assuming that people know what the heck I'm talking about, when it's not always as crystal clear as I'd imagined. I blame my mother.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member

If both parties are agreeable to the arrangement, I can't personally see that anyone has a right to say either way - it is entirely up to the couple concerned.

The only point at which I might see a problem is if there are children involved.

Aqualung

Tasty

Yes, it is immoral, and the grounds are the Bible and other scripture. Adultery is immoral, and open marriages are just overt adultery.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Yes, it is immoral, and the grounds are the Bible and other scripture. Adultery is immoral, and open marriages are just overt adultery.

That's your opinion (and, frankly, I agree with you) - but I don't think that I necessarilly need to enforce my own moralities on others.

Judge ye not......

Aqualung

Tasty
That's your opinion (and, frankly, I agree with you)
Obviously it's my opinion. Luckily, I posted in a thread asking for my opinion on it. Whew!

- but I don't think that I necessarilly need to enforce my own moralities on others.

Judge ye not......

Asserting an opinion is not the same as judging. Heck, recognising sin when I see it is not the same as judging. I'm not entirely sure why you brought that up in the first place unless it was to bring up a skillfully crafted red herring in an attempt to discredit my position...