• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are Playing Cards Evil ???

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Yes. Every time I play "Go Fish" with my four year old sister, not much later I always find her sacrificing small animals and glowing red. I never thought to connect the two before now, though!

EDIT: If anyone's interested, they can read here about the real history of and meaning behind the images of the cards, including how playing cards originated in 9th century China... certainly not where Tarot cards are from, and about 6 centuries before the first Tarot cards were made.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Hardly.

Every time I have played cards with family or friends I have felt closer to them then I have before and there is a spirit of friendliness, love and caring among us. Nothing evil about those feelings.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Ah, I love it. When you can't be bothered to research real history, just make up your own! Gullible people won't be able to tell the difference.

AslanDesu

The KING card represents the Prince of Darkness - The Devil
The 10 SPOT speaks of the spirit of lawlessness. It speaks in opposition to the moral law as found in the Ten Commandments in the Bible.
Then the CLUB card represents violence and murder.
The JACK speaks of the loose living man, the lustful man, the licentious individual who only lives to satisfy his lower nature.
The QUEEN card represents Mary - the mother of our Lord. In the language of the cards, however, Mary is represented as an impure, dissolute, immoral woman.
There is the JOKER. It represents Jesus Christ.

..... lol?

Fluffy

A fool
I don't particularly like gambling or even playing gambling games with something other than money like chips. Other card games are fine though.

That article is unevidenced and unreasoned.

There is a failure to evidence this "secret language". Even if it were true, people nowadays don't consider this meaning nor really consider cards as anything more than representations of 2 variables: Number and Suit. When you play cards, the fact that a Jack is a Jack is irrelevant since the only important attribute it has is its value compared with the rest of cards in the context of the game you are playing. Could this problem be solved for anti-card Christians by simply printing cards that said "1 A" "1 B" "11 C"? Or are they willing to admit that this is, infact, irrelevant to their dislike of card games?

People don't ask God to bless their card games for the same reason they don't ask God to bless their checker games not because one is more ungodly than the other.

This bit is my favourite:
No Christian should play cards. Surely no Sunday School teacher should play cards. The Bible said, "Touch not the unclean thing" (II Corinthians 6:17) As far as I am concerned I would not allow the "Dirty Deck" to desecrate my Christian home and tarnish my testimony.
People can believe whatever they want to believe; that is really cool by me. However, if you are going to try to justify your beliefs, and please don't feel like you have to, then why not admit that regardless of the justification, you will still hold that belief?

This is a classic example as the author has quoted a rather general passage and then added his own specific meaning to it. He has tried to use scripture to justify his belief when it is blatant that he is missing justification for his minor premise. So the reader is left wondering "why did he bother trying to justify it in the first place?"

ayani

no, i don't think they're evil. :rolleyes:

except if it's a hard game and i'm losing fantastically to my 13-year-old brother.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Like I've said before, if you let them be evil, they can be -- just like anything else.

lunamoth

Will to love
Well, playing cards must be evil because my aunt Verla choked on her pickle and died straight up when she lost $150 playing poker.

No, that would not make playing cards evil. If she had won $150 playing poker and then choked on the pickle, that would be proof that God disproves of card playing.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
No, that would not make playing cards evil. If she had won $150 playing poker and then choked on the pickle, that would be proof that God disproves of card playing.
Literalist! :slap: It's all in the interpretation sister Luna! Playing cards are only evil if you win?

Booko

Deviled Hen
Playing cards are not evil, but gambling away the money for the mortgage might be.

So don't gamble with them. What's the problem?

That article was a nice bit of fiction, btw.

s2a

Heretic and part-time (skinny) Santa impersonator
From the referenced link in post #4:

"The KING card represents the Prince of Darkness - The Devil
The 10 SPOT speaks of the spirit of lawlessness. It speaks in opposition to the moral law as found in the Ten Commandments in the Bible.
The JACK speaks of the loose living man, the lustful man, the licentious individual who only lives to satisfy his lower nature.
The QUEEN card represents Mary - the mother of our Lord. In the language of the cards, however, Mary is represented as an impure, dissolute, immoral woman.
There is the JOKER. It represents Jesus Christ."

Perhaps this belongs in the
Games / Pics / Jokes / Stories forum instead?

It's almost as absurd as the stuff found at Landover Baptist Church.

Booko

Deviled Hen
From the referenced link in post #4:

"The KING card represents the Prince of Darkness - The Devil
There is the JOKER. It represents Jesus Christ."

Perhaps this belongs in the
Games / Pics / Jokes / Stories forum instead?

Yes, that does seem an appropriate place for it.

One wonders what the author(s) would've managed to invent had they any idea about symbolism in Tarot. :rolleyes:

lunamoth

Will to love
Literalist! :slap: It's all in the interpretation sister Luna!
And my interpretation is the correct one Sister Buttercup. :p

Playing cards are only evil if you win?
Yes. If you lose you deserved to lose your money in the devil's game. It proves your virtue. You only win if the devil is trying to win you to his side. And then God smites you if you are lucky. If you win and God does not smite you, that means you are in league with the devil. See. Proves it.

nutshell

Playing cards are not evil, but gambling away the money for the mortgage might be.

So don't gamble with them. What's the problem?

That article was a nice bit of fiction, btw.

Gambling awaythe money for the morgage might be wrong, but gambling in and of itself isn't (IMO).

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Yes, that does seem an appropriate place for it.

One wonders what the author(s) would've managed to invent had they any idea about symbolism in Tarot. :rolleyes:

Oh, actually this thread reminded me I need to pick up the Tarot Study :eek: I am such a slacker.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
From the lyrics of Deck of Cards by Tex Ritter:
"You see, sir, when I look at the Ace, it reminds me that there is but one God.
And the deuce reminds me that the bible is divided into two parts: the Old and the New Testaments.
When I see the trey, I think of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
And when I see the four, I think of the four evangelists who preached the Gospel: there was Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.
And when I see the five, it reminds me of the five wise virgins who trimmed their lamps; there were ten of them: five were wise and were saved, five were foolish and were shut out.
When I see the six, it reminds me that in six days God made this heaven and earth.
And when I see the seven, it reminds me that on the seventh day, God rested from his great work.
And when I see the eight, I think of the eight righteous persons that God saved when he destroyed the earth: there was Noah, his wife, their sons and their wives.
And when I see the nine, I think of the lepers our saviour cleansed, and that nine of the ten didn't even thank him.
When I see the ten, I think of the ten commandments that God handed down to Moses on a tablet of stone.
When I see the King, it reminds me that there is but one King of Heaven, God Almighty.
And when I see the Queen, I think of the blessed Virgin Mary who is the Queen of Heaven.
And the Jack or Knave is the Devil.

When I count the number of spots in a deck of cards, I find 365, the number of days in a year.
There are 52 cards, the number of weeks in a year.
There are four suits, the number of weeks in a month.
There are twelve picture cards, the number of months in a year.
There are thirteen tricks, the number of weeks in a quarter.

So you see, Sir, my deck of cards serves me as a bible, an almanac and a prayer book."