• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are the Trinity the Ultimate Sadists?

theMadJW

When did your God CREATE 'Hellfire' ( a dliberate mis-translation of "Gehenna", the garbage dump of Jerusalem)?
And why did he never warn Adam & Eve of it (but Lie to them, saying they would just die- return to the ground)- nor their descendants, even Israel- for thousands of years?

Wandered Off

Sporadic Driveby Member
Humans have attributed an eternal torture policy to several gods. It's not justice regardless of which gods are claimed to favor it.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Some believe, and I am inclined to believe, that we all go to God's love in the end, and it how we react to His love that determines whether we experience bliss or torment...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
[Part quote=Mister Emu;1372080]..............Some believe, and I am inclined to believe, that we all go to God's love in the end.................[/quote]

That's my take on it; it may take some of us a bit longer than others...........

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The Trinity is not a Biblical concept. It's in the King James Version, where in the first epistle of John, where he's talking about the Spirit, Water and Blood, suddenly mentions what would later be called the Trinity. That passage was not found in any of the earliest texts, and it doesn't flow at all with the passages surrounding it.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
In the first chapter of the Gospel of John...

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
In the first chapter of the Gospel of John...

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

I always interpreted that as meaning the words spoken by God were powerful enough to do anything, and that when "the Word was made flesh" that meant that Christ was literally the physical incarnation of God's spoken words.

Dunemeister

I always interpreted that as meaning the words spoken by God were powerful enough to do anything, and that when "the Word was made flesh" that meant that Christ was literally the physical incarnation of God's spoken words.

It's not either/or but both/and. Christ is the incarnation of God's "word", which could mean "will" or "thought." But whatever else the "word" is, it's entirely divine in the same sense that the Father is divine. As scripture says, "the Word was God."

Riverwolf

Premium Member
It's not either/or but both/and. Christ is the incarnation of God's "word", which could mean "will" or "thought." But whatever else the "word" is, it's entirely divine in the same sense that the Father is divine. As scripture says, "the Word was God."

But if the term being used is "word", then how could it mean anything else? Why not "in the beginning was the will/thought, and the will/thought was with God and the will/thought was God..."

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But if the term being used is "word", then how could it mean anything else? Why not "in the beginning was the will/thought, and the will/thought was with God and the will/thought was God..."

The actual word used in the passage is "Logos", which gets translated as "Word". See here for a fairly good explanation of what Logos means.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
The actual word used in the passage is "Logos", which gets translated as "Word". See here for a fairly good explanation of what Logos means.

Ahh. Okay, I get it now. (sorta :D)

This will definitely take some meditating over. Thanks a bunch!