• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are theists happier then atheists?

Bware

I'm the Jugganaut!!
I find that many religions people, when asked, tend to be less honest on the subject, since they feel it is almost expected of them to be content and happy. I don't think believing in a god makes you happier, but belonging to a religion or a gym might.
Also you have to remember that some people might not have the best uhh social dynamic. Belonging to a church or a gym automatically gives you something in common with others that are there. Typically humans are happier when they have other people to socialize/share with.

Jeremiah

I'm aware of that. My point is that when it's all opinion, there's no point in pretending to know for sure.

Noted, but that is how I believe and I don't really care about knowing for sure; I know well enough.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Noted, but that is how I believe and I don't really care about knowing for sure; I know well enough.
No, you believe. There's a difference. And that differences renders commentary on truth or falsehood pointless speculation.

I don't mean to pick on you. The original "what if it's false" question was what annoyed me.

LittleNipper

A common argument for belief in gods is that it is fuzzy. Which is all well and good, but are theist really happier then atheist?

I've noted that believers can have joy even in deep sorrow. I don't feel that this is true of atheists. They are either mad or simply give up ---- never content.

Bware

I'm the Jugganaut!!
I've noted that believers can have joy even in deep sorrow. I don't feel that this is true of atheists. They are either mad or simply give up ---- never content.
So what's called then when "believers" are constantly standing on the mountaintop trying to cram stuff down our throats? Are they content? Is that really happiness? I'm plenty happy just sitting back and realizing that the world really has no clue what is really the truth. I quite enjoy all the arguments and the "believers" running back and forth yelling, I am happier then you, I know the meaning to life, I have found the way, blah blah. Brings a smile to my face. :D

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Well, I was not sure what relevance the top half of you post had do with this thread. So I was just going with the flow.
You don't see how:
This definitely gets brought up a lot but it seems really irrelevant as a factor in whether theism is correct or not. My being happy or miserable has no bearing either way, just like my mood has no relevance as to whether the age of the Earth is 4.5 billion years or not.
...is a relevant response to:
Jeremiah said:
A common argument for belief in gods is that it is fuzzy. Which is all well and good, but are theist really happier then atheist?
:shrug:

LittleNipper

So what's called then when "believers" are constantly standing on the mountaintop trying to cram stuff down our throats? Are they content? Is that really happiness? I'm plenty happy just sitting back and realizing that the world really has no clue what is really the truth. I quite enjoy all the arguments and the "believers" running back and forth yelling, I am happier then you, I know the meaning to life, I have found the way, blah blah. Brings a smile to my face. :D

I would say (being a Christian) that they are not content with providing atheists with the lame excuse that they never heard about GOD or HIS plan of salvation... This make us blameless.

Bware

I'm the Jugganaut!!
I would say (being a Christian) that they are not content with providing atheists with the lame excuse that they never heard about GOD or HIS plan of salvation... This make us blameless.
Right but who asked you guys? It seems that Christians go out of there way to spread their religious jargon to everyone. You don't ever see Atheiests or anyone else for that matter going door to door handing out bibles do you? Or these outreach programs where people go over to some foreign country to help starving children. Do you really think those starving children care about Jesus? Their happiness comes from having food and medical care. You don't have to be religious to care about people and go out and help. Helping others makes me happy.

Were christians blameless in killing thousands in the Crusades?

Last edited:

Jeremiah

No, you believe. There's a difference. And that differences renders commentary on truth or falsehood pointless speculation.

I don't mean to pick on you. The original "what if it's false" question was what annoyed me.

"No, you believe."

No, actually I know. I have unverifiable, uncommunicable personal experiences that would prove to anyone beyond a showdow of a doubt (if they were not unverifiable and uncommunicable) that there are no gods, in any shape or form, in this existence or in any other existence .

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
"No, you believe."

No, actually I know. I have unverifiable, uncommunicable personal experiences that would prove to anyone beyond a showdow of a doubt (if they were not unverifiable and uncommunicable) that there are no gods, in any shape or form, in this existence or in any other existence .
:facepalm: :rolleyes:

That was unworthy of you.

GiantHouseKey

"No, you believe."

The only certainty is uncertainty :)

GhK.

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
Papersock

Thanks for you objective points…

I have an issue only with the following:

Also, hedonism results in sadness? Maybe if you're not doing it right.

Kerr: One, atheism is not an ideology.

If having an ontology, accompanied with their view of existence and rejection of the ideologies of others…if all of this is not an ideology ..what an ideology would be?!

Indeed atheism is almost a religion, it has its preachers, institutions …they just need to call them churches.

With my appreciation of the high education level of many atheists, What hold atheists back from claiming that it’s an ideology is that they failed deliver a full explanation about the big questions such as the those of the existence of the universe and its causes.

Copernicus
I am what you would call a "strong atheist". I am quite convinced that gods do not exist. I have never heard a good or compelling argument that any god exists. If you think that you can make such an argument, please start a thread in this forum and make it.

First I am not sure whether you have read the proofs of the Existence of Good, starting from the ancient philosophical proofs upuntil now and have falsified all of them…If you have done so them it would be nice to share these researches with other members here in RF.We can have a discussion about them

The point is, there are many people who choose to be this and that…
You can see that the percentage of people who don’t believe that America has done it to the moon is relatively high. I don’t think that the problem here is with the proofs about the journey to the moon.

to be continued...