• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Reasonable Moral Grounds to Oppose Open Relationships and Marriages?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
How is that different than a single person who isn't a virgin?

I know single friends who have had way more sexual partners than my friends in "polyamorous relationships" ever would.

wa:do

Barcode

How is that different than a single person who isn't a virgin?

I know single friends who have had way more sexual partners than my friends in "polyamorous relationships" ever would.

Those are your friends.

And no there isn't no particular difference (and the only real difference is the frequency of these encounters).

I happen to know couples in polyamorous relationships who openly are involved with several couples at a time.

If you are to compare a single person to a polyamarous couple the latter is more exposed to more people than the former.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Potentially exposed.... but, is this a moral ground to oppose such relationships?

Disease is something that everyone having sex should be aware of when picking a partner... even if you love them very very much.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are there any reasonable moral grounds to oppose open relationships and marriages? If so what are those reasonable moral grounds?
I think love is more powerful when concentrated and not spread thin. Don't think that qualifies as moral but its logical. The moral aspect would be along the lines of needing much love for yourself at the expense of the others.

Barcode

Potentially exposed.... but, is this a moral ground to oppose such relationships?

Disease is something that everyone having sex should be aware of when picking a partner... even if you love them very very much.

I think idav wrote an excellent response to your statement.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I think idav wrote an excellent response to your statement.
You mean where he said his view wasn't based on the morality?

And how does that follow with your argument.... that it too isn't based on a moral position but a personal view of the nature of love?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
It would appear more obvious cause you're (the couple) exposed to more people
Again, this is an assumption based on the idea that the couple is more promiscuous than the individual.

Like all sweeping generalizations, it's flawed from the outset.

You are assuming that all open couples are swingers who engage in wild sex with as many people as possible... this is false.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
It would appear more obvious cause you're (the couple) exposed to more people

That doesn't make sense. Think about it. A single person's partners are presenting the same opportunity for risk as a person who is part of a relationship. Being part of a couple doesn't inherently increase risk.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
It's simple math.

The more people you or your partner have sex with, the more risk of contracting a sexually transmitted disease.

It's not a matter of morality - it's a matter of reality.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
If this is merely about a numbers game based on spreading sexually transmitted diseases or ridding ourselves of the risk of pregnancy, there are a LOT of methods couples can use to reduce and/or eliminate the risk of pregnancy or STD's.

What we have in our culture is still a rudimentary understanding of sex and sexuality. It's not that it's good or bad, but the squeamish view of sex outside the monogamous, heterosexual model is a symptom of how we perceive what sex and intimacy should look like.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
If this is merely about a numbers game based on spreading sexually transmitted diseases or ridding ourselves of the risk of pregnancy, there are a LOT of methods couples can use to reduce and/or eliminate the risk of pregnancy or STD's.

If you're going to have sex with other people, yes, you can REDUCE the risk of STDs, but you cannot completely eliminate that risk.

You can control what you do, but you can't control what others do, especially in the relatively private realm of sexuality.

That's why, regardless of what level of trust you have with your sexual partner(s), you are still opening yourself to more risk, the more partners you or your partner have.

And if you go into a relationship knowing that more sexual partners will be included in that relationship, you are simply increasing your risk.

It's just factual. Nothing personal - till it's you sitting with your feet in the stirrups being diagnosed with something rather nasty.

Barcode

That doesn't make sense. Think about it. A single person's partners are presenting the same opportunity for risk as a person who is part of a relationship. Being part of a couple doesn't inherently increase risk.

See Kathryns statement

Barcode

If you're going to have sex with other people, yes, you can REDUCE the risk of STDs, but you cannot completely eliminate that risk.

You can control what you do, but you can't control what others do, especially in the relatively private realm of sexuality.

That's why, regardless of what level of trust you have with your sexual partner(s), you are still opening yourself to more risk, the more partners you or your partner have.

And if you go into a relationship knowing that more sexual partners will be included in that relationship, you are simply increasing your risk.

It's just factual. Nothing personal - till it's you sitting with your feet in the stirrups being diagnosed with something rather nasty.

Thank You Kathryn!

Maybe its me or how I word it but I've been saying this the whole time.

If polyamarous unions are a culture, you'd be exposed to a hell of a lot more people and even if you and your significant other practice safe sex, you can't control the actions of others.

I used swingers as an example because that is the most common form of open relationships- at least in the U.S. (meaning the legal kind).

People are asking the differences between couples and singles in relation to STD contraction. This is a very good example.

Barcode

Really?
Source please.

Please be so kind as to name these "illegal" kinds of open relationships.

Polygamous relationships.

Although polyamorous is less specific the concept of being involved with multiple people is what I meant. Unions such as polygamy, polyandry

As far as proof hmmm I could post hundreds of links for swinger sites including craigslist advertisements for swinger parties but I afraid I would violate the forum guidelines

Last edited:

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Polygamous relationships.
That's it?
ONE illegal open relationship?

Would not prostitution also be an illegal open relationship situation?

As far as proof hmmm I could post hundreds of links for swinger sites including craigslist advertisements for swinger parties but I afraid I would violate the forum guidelines
ROFLMAO

Are you serious?
The only thing you have to offer to support your claim that swingers are the most popular open relationships is the number of advertisements for swingers?

idav

Being
Premium Member
You mean where he said his view wasn't based on the morality?

And how does that follow with your argument.... that it too isn't based on a moral position but a personal view of the nature of love?

I also stated a moral position. If a person is in an open relationship it doesn't necessarily follow that the others are as well.