• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are there Reasonable Moral Grounds to Oppose Open Relationships and Marriages?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thats interesting. Getting hurt in a any relationship is more of a reason to keep it as simple as possible and like I had said before, throwin in extra complications. Love triangles are justed headed for Springer.

I don't see where your evidence is for the notion that love triangles are inevitably "headed for Springer">

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I don't see where your evidence is for the notion that love triangles are inevitably "headed for Springer">
I suspect that he has done a long, boring, intense, coffee consuming study on the results of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of love triangles.

or not.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.

Kathryn

Hey, like I've said - if you're poly, and you hook up with other polys - that's fine by me. I just want no part of it, and I intentionally hooked up with someone else who feels the same way as I do and expects the same things out of our relationship that I do. And it's gooooooooooooood. We are both fulfilled - quite satiated in fact. Can't imagine adding anyone else to our delicious little mix.

And that's how it should be, in my opinion. Carry on.

blackout

Violet.
Hey, like I've said - if you're poly, and you hook up with other polys - that's fine by me. I just want no part of it, and I intentionally hooked up with someone else who feels the same way as I do and expects the same things out of our relationship that I do. And it's gooooooooooooood. We are both fulfilled - quite satiated in fact. Can't imagine adding anyone else to our delicious little mix.

Your preferences do not however amount to moral grounds.

(which is what the thread is questioning. opposition on moral grounds.)

Kathryn

Your preferences do not however amount to moral grounds.

(which is what the thread is questioning. opposition on moral grounds.)

Oh - I oppose "open relationships" (ie, multiple intimate partners aka adultery) on moral grounds for myself and my partner. As Christians, we both believe that adultery is morally wrong and destructive to families and marriages.

I just don't believe in forcing my own sexual morals on other consenting adults who aren't involved with me.

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Oh - I oppose it on moral grounds for myself and my partner.

I just don't believe in forcing my own sexual morals on other consenting adults who aren't involved with me.

Yay! I agree!! :highfive:

I oppose heterosexuality for myself, tbh. :p

blackout

Violet.
Oh - I oppose "open relationships" (ie, multiple intimate partners aka adultery) on moral grounds for myself and my partner. As Christians, we both believe that adultery is morally wrong and destructive to families and marriages.

Ok, so then on moral grounds,
you feel that NO ONE should engage in poly relationships.
(though you have no desire to actively come against those who do)

I misunderstood.

Kathryn

Ok, so then on moral grounds,
you feel that NO ONE should engage in poly relationships.
(though you have no desire to actively come against those who do)

I misunderstood.

Surely there are things that you oppose morally for yourself but would not impede others from doing.

idav

Being
Premium Member

I hear you. If the partner were to ever come with questions of bringing others it would be a huge red flag in my mind.

Kathryn

I hear you. If the partner were to ever come with questions of bringing others it would be a huge red flag in my mind.

Red flag my arse - I'd be waving a divorce decree under his nose the next day!

blackout

Violet.
Surely there are things that you oppose morally for yourself but would not impede others from doing.

Ok. lol. I guess I've misunderstood again.

I just figured that, especially as a christian, you felt that morality
was an objectively "set" thing. You know, set in place by God, for everyone.
I see all morality as subjective, so.....

I have no qualms with people deciding what is and isn't right for them'selves.

Kathryn

Ok. lol. I guess I've misunderstood again.

I just figured that, especially as a christian, you felt that morality
was an objectively "set" thing. You know, set in place by God, for everyone.
I see all morality as subjective, so.....
I have no qualms with people deciding what is and isn't right for them'selves.

I generally stay out of conversations between God and other people.

Straw Dog

Are there any reasonable moral grounds to oppose open relationships and marriages? If so what are those reasonable moral grounds?

I don't really see a reason why I would oppose other people from having open relationships with multiple partners. I might oppose it if my girlfriend wanted to bring someone else into the relationship, although I also might not.

I mean, who would this new guy be? A wealthy doctor? Then he could bring in a lot more financial support, but he would be too uptight and busy working all the time to be much fun so I would still have a vital role to play in the relationship. I would just have to get over the jealousy involved with her sleeping with another guy. There's pros and cons I guess haha.

Hm... tough call.

blackout

Violet.
In this economy the RIGHT adults partnered together can only be a good thing.

Unless you have a really fabulous job,
I can hardly see how two incomes is enough.
It's not. Not where I live anyway.

muslim-

I think religion has to play a role in ethics. Otherwise one would have to believe that brother and sister giving each other sexual gratification would be perfectly moral as long as she doesn't get pregnant. So if one doesn't believe in religion, or the family institution ( marriage being a religious concept), then I can see why some could consider "open marriages" moral, and prostitution as well. Many today see morality in anything that doesn't cause anyone direct pain. So according to this definition, many, many things would suddenly become "moral'

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think religion has to play a role in ethics. Otherwise one would have to believe that brother and sister giving each other sexual gratification would be perfectly moral as long as she doesn't get pregnant.
So... one needs religion to worry about emotional and psychological impacts?