• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are these bible passages contradictory?

A

angellous_evangellous

comprehend said:
ok. that just made me curious. Do you believe God has a shape or a boundary to his person?

Interesting question.

I believe that God is a unique Being who therefore has no appropriate metaphor. My orthodox Christian confession is that God is God's Spirit uniquely revealed in the person of Jesus Christ in a way that does not violate God's majestic transcendence.

So I believe the answer to your question is, "no and yes."

EDIT: That is, I affirm that Jesus Christ is in fact God, but the body of Jesus Christ, while fully human and fully God, does not serve as giving shape and boundary to the divinity of Christ.

XAAX

comprehend said:
The bible is a wonderful book of scripture and to say the entire thing is one big contradiction is just silly and obviously wrong.

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave..:biglaugh:

I refuse anymore to get into biblical debates on the contradictions within the bible. There are so many we would be here the whole day. Secondly the English translation that you are reading is a far cry from the original meaning of the book. Its like the game where you line up and whisper in someone’s ear, then that person does likewise all the way to the end of the line. The statement you get from the last person is completely different from the original. Now lets put this not only in the sense of being passed from person to person (since it was for hundreds of years before it was put into what you call the bible), but lets also add that it has been translated through different languages. What ever you want to think, Just some advice for you is all. Do with it what you will...

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
PREACH THE NETT said:
I have this advice for you comprehend...Unless you are ready to give up believing in the bible, don't start down the road of contradictions. It is riddled with them. I thought I could solve the mystery of all of them when I was a hard core bible thumper myself. What I found instead was the book was so poorly thrown together and then overyly mis-translated that the whole thing is a contradiction. So unless you are ready for that, just keep on excepting the fact that there aren't any...:cover:

There is a much simpler explanation. the Bible clearly states that without the help of the Holy Spirit one cannot understand spiritual things in the Bible. Perhaps you were just quenching the Spirit. The Bible makes perfect sense to a very large number of people.
</IMG>

XAAX

sandy whitelinger said:
The Bible makes perfect sense to a very large number of people.
</IMG>
Does it....Good for you, if thats what works for you then congrats.....I was merely refering to if someone was going to look deeper into it. They might find it more easier to believe without questioning...you know, they teach blind faith for a reason.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
PREACH THE NETT said:
Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave..:biglaugh:

I refuse anymore to get into biblical debates on the contradictions within the bible. There are so many we would be here the whole day. Secondly the English translation that you are reading is a far cry from the original meaning of the book. Its like the game where you line up and whisper in someone’s ear, then that person does likewise all the way to the end of the line. The statement you get from the last person is completely different from the original. Now lets put this not only in the sense of being passed from person to person (since it was for hundreds of years before it was put into what you call the bible), but lets also add that it has been translated through different languages. What ever you want to think, Just some advice for you is all. Do with it what you will...

Preach. if you would refer to my previous post. you will note that I did not say there were no contradictions in the bible. Rather, that there were and I knew it. Now, understanding that fact, there is no debate between you and I over biblical contradictions. We both think there are some, so I do not know what you are talking about.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
PREACH THE NETT said:
Does it....Good for you, if thats what works for you then congrats.....I was merely refering to if someone was going to look deeper into it. They might find it more easier to believe without questioning...you know, they teach blind faith for a reason.

Nice assumption but totally wrong. I've studied scripture more in depth than most preachers I've met. The Bible doesn't teach blind faith. Acts 17:11 are the marching orders.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
PREACH THE NETT said:

not every religion teaches blind faith :areyoucra . LDS are commanded to read and study scripture every day and I know that many other christian religions study just as much.

FFH

Veteran Member
comprehend said:
Preach. if you would refer to my previous post. you will note that I did not say there were no contradictions in the bible. Rather, that there were and I knew it. Now, understanding that fact, there is no debate between you and I over biblical contradictions. We both think there are some, so I do not know what you are talking about.
He's just saying there's no reason to debate these contradictions in the Bible because they are obvious errors that have creepted in over time due to multiple transcriptions and translations over time, which have corrubpted the original content...

I've already posted these errors which Jospeh Smith received revelation concerning and subsequently corrected, so as to leave no doubt that the original content left NO contradiction whatsoever...

Obviously Joseph Smith was inspired to correct these contradictions in the King James long before we ever noticed them.

XAAX

FFH said:
He's just saying there's no reason to debate these contradictions in the Bible because they are obvious errors that have creepted in over time due to multiple transcriptions and translations over time, which have corrubpted the original content...
My point, thank you...
FFH said:
I've already posted these errors which Jospeh Smith received revelation concerning and subsequently corrected, so as to leave no doubt that the original content left NO contradiction whatsoever...
Obviously Joseph Smith was inspired to correct these contradictions in the King James long before we ever noticed them.
This brings me to the question that I have to ask. Who here is now a full fledged mormon but started out as something else...Meaning, didn't become mormon till say late teens or twentys?

linwood

comprehend said:
For those outside of Christianity, what do you think? Contradictory/No?
I am outside of Christianity.

I think the first quotes were written by a bronze age civilization.

I think the verses from the gospels were written up to 2 millenia later by men who never intended or imagined that their works would be published alongside the OT as if it all meshed perfectly.

Edited for stupidity

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
linwood said:
I think the verses from the gospels were written up to 4 millenia later by men who never intended or imagined that their works would be published alongside the OT as if it all meshed perfectly.
Four millenia later hasn't happened yet. :D

linwood

angellous_evangellous said:
First of all, the passages in John that you have presented indicate that no one has ever seen God and not that God has never appeared to anyone. There is a huge theological difference.

I know of no Biblical support for this concept.

It seems to be hair-splitting to me.

What contextual Biblical scripture gives support for this AE?
I`m talking OT mostly here .

Genesis states that Moses and God spoke face to face Like two friends , what content within this book might show me this is meant figuratively?

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Tlcmel said:
How are Mormon's able to accuratelty interpret these errors without question, especially without the influence of God?

Sorry Tlcmel, I must have missed this post somehow. We believe that we DO have the "influence of God" It is called the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit and it teaches the truth of all things. That is why continued revelation from God is always important.

John 14:26 But the Comforter, [which is] the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16: 13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, [that] shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

A

angellous_evangellous

linwood said:
I know of no Biblical support for this concept.

It seems to be hair-splitting to me.

What contextual Biblical scripture gives support for this AE?
I`m talking OT mostly here .

Genesis states that Moses and God spoke face to face Like two friends , what content within this book might show me this is meant figuratively?

Exodus 20.4

4You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

My interpretation comes from what I know of both ancient and modern Jewish interpretation of Scripture. God has no image, therefore one cannot make an image of God.

You may recall that several rebellions were incited by Jews in Jersalem under Roman rule because no images were allowed in that city, even the Roman standards.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Exodus 20.4

4You shall not make for yourself an image, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

My interpretation comes from what I know of both ancient and modern Jewish interpretation of Scripture. God has no image, therefore one cannot make an image of God.

You may recall that several rebellions were incited by Jews in Jersalem under Roman rule because no images were allowed in that city, even the Roman standards.

That just says not to make images, not that God does not have one. Is that the best scriptural support for that idea? Because the old testament seems to have plenty of scriptures about God and his body.

A

angellous_evangellous

comprehend said:
That just says not to make images, not that God does not have one. Is that the best scriptural support for that idea? Because the old testament seems to have plenty of scriptures about God and his body.

It's not just Scriptural support, but how the Scripture was interpreted historically.

It also depends on what you consider to be "Scripture." John would have been well aware of rabbinic teachings concerning images, which are on the same level as Scripture, which was canonized hundreds of years after John.

Remember also that Judaism went through several stages from henotheism to monotheism, but I don't think that any anthopomorphic descriptions of God were interpreted as literal by orthodox Jews at any time. I could be mistaken about that...

In any case, the imageless belief concerning God in John's Judaism is very well attested both by ancient Jewish and Roman historians (eg., Josephus, Philo, and any Roman historian who mentions Jews).

linwood

Exodus 20.4

Yes but no one here is manufacturing an image.
It is claimed by the Bible Moses (and others) have seen God himself.

Yes, Pilate himself massacred a number of protesters over his garrisons standards.
Did it in a real underhanded manner too if I recall correctly.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

but certainly you do not think that Jewish opinion on the scripture would supercede scripture itself. If I remember correctly, as a Christian, it is my opinion that they terribly misinterpreted the entire purpose of the old testiment which was to point them to the coming of Jesus.

Regardless of opinion or interpretation. The scripture quite plainly says that Moses spoke to God face to face. and it doesn't stop there, it expounds upon it, saying "as one man speaketh to another" now, it is incredibly difficult for me to imagine that could have more than one meaning. How many ways do you know for two men to speak face to face with one another?