• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we all related?

idav

Being
Premium Member
Are we all related going back far enough in history? If so to what extent?

Evolution and creationism both agree we are all related to some extent. Creationists like to be separate from its own nature but we are not, not completely.

Skwim

Veteran Member
To an enormous extent.

TreeOfLife.jpg

Of course, if you're talking only about us humans, then not so much.
genetictree.png

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Evolution and creationism both agree we are all related to some extent. Creationists like to be separate from its own nature but we are not, not completely.

According to Greg Graffin in his book Anarchy Evolution, we only need to go back 1000 to 2000 years before we find a common ancestor of any two random people.

Fun fact: every US president except Martin van Buren is descended from King John Lackland of England.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
There's an active branch of research to find the original man and women. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve goes over some of that research.
No, Mitochondrial Eve is not supose to be the "original" woman. Click on the article you posted and read the first sentence. This is a search for the "most recent" common ancestor. Not the most ancient, not the oldest, not the original. The "most recent".

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say that we are even related to anything that exists outside of this planet.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As in, it's distant enough that it shouldn't ignite any "icky incest" reactions.

Oh. Well, I have no problem at all with incest, so that could be why I was kind of like "eh?" when I read that. XD Part of why I have no problem with it is precisely because we're all the same ruddy species anyway.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say that we are even related to anything that exists outside of this planet.

So would I. I refer to reality as a whole as "The Weave" for a reason. :D

What all this implies is up to interpretation. Some people are put off by relatedness, others find no meaning in it others still see it as a cue for reverence or respect.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Oh. Well, I have no problem at all with incest, so that could be why I was kind of like "eh?" when I read that. XD Part of why I have no problem with it is precisely because we're all the same ruddy species anyway.

I have no problem with it from a legal standpoint, but I do understand that most times, offspring is deformed or handicapped in some way, with the risk greater the closer the relationship.

Daemon Sophic

It's not? In what way is it not important?
I have no problem with it from a legal standpoint, but I do understand that most times, offspring is deformed or handicapped in some way, with the risk greater the closer the relationship.
Not "most" times, but far too frequently than you (or anyone) would like. :run:
"Mixed" marraiges lead to genetically healthier kids. :yes: While all that "keep the race pure" kinda carp will end up with lots more spontaneous abortions and some surviving relatively (no pun intended) genetic weaklings. :cover:

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.

Go back far enough and yes we are indeed all related. And I'm not just talking about human beings. Or even just primates. Or even just mammals. Or even just vertebrates.

The reality is that every living thing that has ever lived on the planet is made up of strands of DNA (with a few very early exceptions of RNA).

We all share a genetic heritage that goes back to some of the earliest life forms on the planet.

MistuhAtheist

Evolutionarily speaking, yes. We have (probably) all evolved from the same bacterium or single cell organism, so we are related to everything (once again, probably). But speaking about blood relations, as in children, parents, e.t.c, no. If the story of Adam and Eve is true, then that would mean that everyone would have been related and of course, as a result, everyone would be inbred mutation. But maybe we never were like now, and have just been inbred to look like we do now...
Anyway, thanks for putting that out, it is an interesting topic.
MistuhAtheist out!

kashmir

Hell no, I came from a totally different world than everyone else, I am not related to anyone from earth, ewwww, nope, notta one.
well if there is any millionaires on here looking for their long lost cousin, that be me :D

To be honest, dont tell anyone but I was a test tube baby.
My daddy was an eye dropper ;)

idav

Being
Premium Member
Nice comments from all. It seems to be a place where creationism and evolitionism might be on the same page. Major difference is creationists believe in such a smaller timeline but still end up with the same idea that all the billions of people are related going back far enough.