• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are we god?

Wtf? A god (lowercase, common noun) is usually defined, roughly, as a supernatural entity, often an object of worship, who interacts with the world in various ways. On the other hand, God (uppercase, proper noun) is a specific god (lowercase, common noun)- the god of Christianity. He is distinguished from other gods, like YHWH (of Judaism), Allah (Islam), or any number of other gods by the sacred documents which author that god-concept (i.e. of God)- i.e. the Bible, in particular the New Testament.

Thus, God is whatever object satisfies the Biblical description of God. (there is no such object, so God does not exist)

So by definition, we cannot be God, nor can we be gods. We can be as gods, as in be like gods in certain ways- by creating (art), by excelling in various ways, or what have you, but we are not literally gods. Gods do not exist, except as works of the human imagination.

WOW! a real response thank you, but you are wrong about the definition when you look it up the top 3 or 4 definitions on almost every link describes a deity of unlimited mind or power. You're accurate about god satisfying whatever people think or make of it though that's true

Also sorry but when i said we are god i should really change that it isn't coherent with what my message is. Now the truth is something cannot come from nothing it is a paradox and like most paradoxes it is a constant loop leading right back to where it started. Now the real answer is who built the universe? because the truth is energy cannot be created nor destroyed but simply change form. Also we are gods in our own sense (a very very small one) we are the masters of many animals and technology and we are the gods of these primitive technologies and life forms. one of the biggest ideas of god is that he is a powerful ruler and i gotta say we're pretty powerful over cows cars and other things not much chance of them revolting anytime soon. haha

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
We're gods in the sense we create things, we create our own worlds and we manufacture it - control it.

But we are not God, who created our ability to do so.

but actually i'm wrong in the narrow mindedness that i think god is the only way to name a deity or almighty. But since i used the word god my message is coherent.

We're gods in the sense we create things, we create our own worlds and we manufacture it - control it.

But we are not God, who created our ability to do so.

DNA created our ability to do so the only way god was a part of our evolution is if god personally made and oversees DNA. In that case why is there often faults with our DNA if god is perfect and he directly created us in any possible way we would be perfect and we are not in many many many ways.

Enai de a lukal

WOW! a real response thank you, but you are wrong about the definition when you look it up the top 3 or 4 definitions on almost every link describes a deity of unlimited mind or power.

Are the Norse gods defined as having "unlimited mind or power"? Or the Greek gods?

The fact that many dictionaries list something to this effect is simply a function of the prevalence of Christianity in the English world- unlimited power is part of the Christian conception of God, but not necessarily part of the general concept of a god.

You're accurate about god satisfying whatever people think or make of it though that's true

What I mean is that, YHWH just is whatever object satisfies the description of YHWH in the Jewish Bible, God is whatever object satisfies the description of God in the Christian Bible, Allah is whatever object satisfies the description of Allah in the Qu'ran, and so on (if there is any such object, which there isn't in any of these cases)

Now the truth is something cannot come from nothing it is a paradox and like most paradoxes it is a constant loop leading right back to where it started. Now the real answer is who built the universe? because the truth is energy cannot be created nor destroyed but simply change form. Also we are gods in our own sense (a very very small one) we are the masters of many animals and technology and we are the gods of these primitive technologies and life forms. one of the biggest ideas of god is that he is a powerful ruler and i gotta say we're pretty powerful over cows cars and other things not much chance of them revolting anytime soon. haha

Sure, but being powerful and being a god aren't the same thing at all. We may describe ourselves, or certain people, as gods- but this is a metaphor; we simply mean they are god-like in some respect or other.

Are the Norse gods defined as having "unlimited mind or power"? Or the Greek gods?

The fact that many dictionaries list something to this effect is simply a function of the prevalence of Christianity in the English world- unlimited power is part of the Christian conception of God, but not necessarily part of the general concept of a god.

yes but the simple fact i used the word god makes it coherent if i said almighty or deity that would be true. And one may easily argue that since these norse gods and greek gods controlled something that the people of that era consider magic made them all powerful. Just as in perspective we still don't understand what happens after we die (although it's probably like taking a usb out of a computer haha) or of time or the beginning or end of the universe so we put this god in its place making them all powerful to what we think is magic and is inconceivable to us with our tiny brains.

Sure, but being powerful and being a god aren't the same thing at all. We may describe ourselves, or certain people, as gods- but this is a metaphor; we simply mean they are god-like in some respect or other.

and yes i totally and 100% percent agree with you on this

i should also add that the simple fact you said that means that your definition of god is a ultra powerful being.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And no distinction between an entity that is bound to chemistry as compared to entities of spirit....

And so far the participants here do not anticipate such things?

Death as in final?

And no distinction between an entity that is bound to chemistry as compared to entities of spirit....

And so far the participants here do not anticipate such things?

Death as in final?

what is spirit? magic?? haha please if you believe that any force in the universe is simply magic you are blocking yourself off to that vast unbelievable beauty of this place. Also you are acting just like every other person before modern times that believed they are the center of the universe and the world is flat blah blah blah blah

Thief

Rogue Theologian
what is spirit? magic?? haha please if you believe that any force in the universe is simply magic you are blocking yourself off to that vast unbelievable beauty of this place. Also you are acting just like every other person before modern times that believed they are the center of the universe and the world is flat blah blah blah blah

And death shall remove you from it....altogether.

underthesun

Terrible with Titles
Personally, I believe that the divine is within all of us, within all of the universe, and beyond everything we could possibly begin to comprehend. I would never say that we are the divine, but I suppose, technically speaking, a part of us is. So, I suppose my answer is yes, in a way, but the divine is most certainly not just us.

At least, to me.

And death shall remove you from it....altogether.

What does that mean? when i die i'll be removed yup well you're right or is it because i'm saying these things i'm gonna go burn in a hole for all of eternity just because i bashed organized religions and their fundamental irrationality? if there was truly was a heaven it would never be occupied by a single religion that's just narrow minded.

Personally, I believe that the divine is within all of us, within all of the universe, and beyond everything we could possibly begin to comprehend. I would never say that we are the divine, but I suppose, technically speaking, a part of us is. So, I suppose my answer is yes, in a way, but the divine is most certainly not just us.

At least, to me.

you're probably right there's no way the god or whatever if there is one is just an advanced human race it's a combination of all knowledge so it must be a combination of all species.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
how are we a part of god?
Like a a drop of water in an ocean.
Like fire and heat.

in genetics wise maybe but that is the same way that we are connected to the prairie dog creatures we evolved from a bit of a leap
Not at all. The universe exists. We are made of the universe.
In my view, the universe is part of God.

So that's how.

especially when god is supposed to be older than the universe it's a mighty jump indeed 14.7 billions years to be exact :)
Our bodies and atoms are recycled, but they are still made of the same particles.

Enai de a lukal

Like a a drop of water in an ocean.
Like fire and heat.

That's helpful. So we are to god as a drop of water is to an ocean- so God is physical, perhaps even carbon-based? Curious.

Or maybe that was just a poor analogy.

In my view, the universe is part of God.

But the universe is not all of God? What other parts of God are there which are not the universe?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
DNA created our ability to do so the only way god was a part of our evolution is if god personally made and oversees DNA. In that case why is there often faults with our DNA if god is perfect and he directly created us in any possible way we would be perfect and we are not in many many many ways.

Faults considered to you, but it's part of the Way life goes in, and that's what God's cool with.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That's helpful. So we are to god as a drop of water is to an ocean- so God is physical, perhaps even carbon-based? Curious.

Or maybe that was just a poor analogy.
The analogy is fine, you're just missing the point of it: the point is I take the view that there is no difference between the two, they are both unified, but we are significantly smaller in scale to the Infinite Ocean of Being that is God.

And yes and no, I view God as 'physical' in that everything is made of God, there is nothing not God - so 'God' is carbon-based, gold-based, potassium based, hydrogen based, and everything else -- but God ultimately is a formless Being because It transcends everything, so also no; none of these things can be pointed to for one to utter the statement 'This is God's absolute property', or nature.

But the universe is not all of God? What other parts of God are there which are not the universe?
The parts of God which are not the universe. What more information are you after?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What does that mean? when i die i'll be removed yup well you're right or is it because i'm saying these things i'm gonna go burn in a hole for all of eternity just because i bashed organized religions and their fundamental irrationality? if there was truly was a heaven it would never be occupied by a single religion that's just narrow minded.

Please note....rogue theologian.
No religion.

I don't cut anyone any slack.