• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you a Fan or a Follower of Jesus?

Sententia

Sententia

I'm a Buddhist. Jesus isn't my guy.

I am atheist... he's not mine either and possibly fictional. Still thinking I might be a fan though. There are a few things I am not on board with which I have spoke about before but meh...

The argument that jesus is not my guy because I don't know and thus not my guy is just not compelling to me on any level.

Is there something specific that would cause you not to be a fan or a follower?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've always been struck by the disconnect between most of Jesus' teachings and the behavior of most Christians. Most Christians, in fact, disparage the attitudes and hehaviors Jesus advocated -- all that peace and love; holding hands and and singing Kum By Ya -- what a wuss! And Christians in the military -- what could be more incompatible?

Jesus advocated Hippie values. He wanted us to be hippies.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians." -- Gandhi.

sky dancer

I am atheist... he's not mine either and possibly fictional. Still thinking I might be a fan though. There are a few things I am not on board with which I have spoke about before but meh...

The argument that jesus is not my guy because I don't know and thus not my guy is just not compelling to me on any level.

Is there something specific that would cause you not to be a fan or a follower?
I'm into Buddhism, not Jesus and Christianity. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Bill Maher made a great point and accused most Christians of being the biggest fans of Jesus and not his followers. Something which he takes to the nTH degree but, is, IMHO, not entirely without merit.

You can listen to the whole spiel here:

You’re Not Christ’s Followers, Just Fans | Dancing on Saturday

At one point he says he is not a Christian, just like most Christians. :)

Probably neither. I believe Jesus was a real guy and all, but I dislike a lot of what he teaches.

I, personally, believe that Christianity was supposed to be a political movement that shifted into a religion.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Christianity the religion and Jesus the man are two different things.

The first thing that came to mind when I read this is that you are right. Christianity definitely exists. Jesus has never been proven to have existed.

Sententia

I'm into Buddhism, not Jesus and Christianity. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

You said it was hard for me to understand. Not me.

I said does something specific you can reference make you not a fan or is it mere ignorance? If so why post? Just stick to what you know and pretend the rest of the world doesn't exist but do not presume to talk down to and act as if I don't get it when I am I asking questions and inquiring to help me get it. Your position is not known to me. Being a Buddhist does not mean you don't know the story of Jesus and if - for you - it means exactly that then just say I don't know anything about Jesus being a buddhist therefore not a fan.

Thats an argument from ignorance which I wonder why you would post at all. My curiosity rises from the presumption that you may have studied him and are not a fan because of something specific.

As far as I can ascertain your argument is I don't know the Jesus but I know John therefore I am a fan of John and not Jesus. :facepalm:

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
If someone is just a fan is, as indicated, different than being a follower. And it is very easy to tell the difference between someone who just a fan and someone who is actually a follower. A follower would follow or at least try to follow His commands while a fan would like what He teaches and not necessarily follow or try to follow His commands.

Sultan Of Swing

I am a follower, not a fan. Weeeell, I TRY to be a follower as much as I can, but I often fail, as humans do.

sky dancer said:
I'd like some specific reasons too. I'm surprised, because most, if not all of the Buddhists I have met admire Jesus and agree with many of his moral teachings.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Bill Maher made a great point and accused most Christians of being the biggest fans of Jesus and not his followers. Something which he takes to the nTH degree but, is, IMHO, not entirely without merit.

You can listen to the whole spiel here:

You’re Not Christ’s Followers, Just Fans | Dancing on Saturday

At one point he says he is not a Christian, just like most Christians. :)
Im listening to Maher right now. and I agree, 100%.
I think there is not a single Christian man in the 'west'. there were Jewish 'christians', there are Arab christians (its just that they don't use the term 'christians'). the 'west' does not have a grip of a single member of a middle eastern community. they sure as hell are fans though. just like being fans to a local football team.
they are on the 'jesus team'. a single deceased member of an old middle eastern community.

Last edited: