• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you looking forward to death?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
The bible claims to know though. So you believe in the things that is written in the bible, but you acknowledge that it might not be true? or what?

That's what belief and faith are all about. You can't have faith without some kind of doubt, simply because of the definition of faith. And even if the practitioner denies having that doubt, the fear of death is a good manifestation of that doubt.

TEXASBULL

Looking forward or not, its coming....

One day the Grimm reaper will tap your shoulder and tell you the party is over for you but continues for everyone else.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
First of all, i'm not religious. I've never been religious and i believe when you die, you die, and that's it. You seize to exist. You've been none existing billions of years before you got born.

Anyways! i'm not trying to force my views on to anyone. People can believe what they want.

My question is though. If you believe you'll be in heaven with god, do you actually look forward to the day you die? With those beliefs, death must be the most exciting part of your life right? or?
I don't believe in any afterlives. I neither look forward to death nor fear it. I have things to do, so I'd prefer it not to come too swiftly, but I'd prefer it to come in due time. Whenever it comes though, I'm cool with it.

Basically I look at it like going to sleep at the end of a long hard day of work. Going to sleep in the middle of the day would not be appropriate, nor is it really desired, but by the end of the day, the sleep looks good.

crocusj

Looking forward or not, its coming....

One day the Grimm reaper will tap your shoulder and tell you the party is over for you but continues for everyone else.

I was quite enjoying my Saturday till this. I don't want it to end, I want more, I am afraid to die, I don't want my family to die, this cannot be all....ah, but wait, what if there were a life after death? What if we were created by a spirit being that allows us into his realm after we die? What if this life is but a temporary state before immortality? Nah, I suppose that's just wishful thinking on my part to ward off fear of the inevitable and to ease the suffering of this life. After all, all the other animals on the planet have an instinctive fear of death but I'm sure they don't worry about an afterlife, so why should I be any different.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
After all, all the other animals on the planet have an instinctive fear of death but I'm sure they don't worry about an afterlife, so why should I be any different.

I believe that most other animals are actually not even aware of death. This would make sense, as one of the most common methods of dispelling fear of death that I've seen among kids is to somehow convince themselves that "it'll never happen to me."

I'd bet that those animals that are at least aware of death would do the same thing.

Nevertheless, that's a good attitude to have, even if one believes in the afterlife. Don't worry about it. After all, even if there's an afterlife and God exists, only He knows for sure what will happen.

ellenjanuary

Problem is, there's two of you, hiding out in that meatsack. Emergent self and animal self. Animal maintains the hardware, emergent the software; it is emergent self that runs the simulations, to understand the mind of another, to speculate about life on Europa, or wonder about after based upon fairy tales. If you get scairt; probably the animal, trying the sims. Animal part can do death, does excessive pain and trauma; emergent part dreams.

It's like being afraid of blinking, or taking a nap.

Noaidi

slow walker
I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to death, per se. I feel I still have a lot to do and see, but when it comes, I won't be in a position to argue, I suppose.

rakeyrach

Here's a Pagan view, just to be different :)
I'm not exactly looking forward to the experience of death, but at least I'm not going to have to do it again for a while after that. I'll come back again as someone else and live a long, happy life (hopefully) and then I'll start not-looking-forward to death again and then it'll come and I'll be reborn, etc, etc.
Generally I don't think about this sorta stuff. I'll just take it as it happens.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
First of all, i'm not religious. I've never been religious and i believe when you die, you die, and that's it. You seize to exist. You've been none existing billions of years before you got born.

Anyways! i'm not trying to force my views on to anyone. People can believe what they want.

My question is though. If you believe you'll be in heaven with god, do you actually look forward to the day you die? With those beliefs, death must be the most exciting part of your life right? or?

i don't have a problem with dying, i can't make it come quicker than when it is meant to come and i can't delay it, it will come eventually i look forward to meeting my creator.

confusedius

The Shadow
I take comfort in the words of Epicurus, to paraphrase:

"Why should I fear death? When I am, death is not. When death is, I am not"

Like Woody Allen, I don't want to be there when it happens...

James

Koldo

Outstanding Member
i don't have a problem with dying, i can't make it come quicker than when it is meant to come and i can't delay it, it will come eventually i look forward to meeting my creator.

Do you believe in determinism?

'Cause if you believe in free will, then you can make it come quicker [suicide, for example] or delay it [taking medicine against life threatening diseases, for example].

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Do you believe in determinism?

are you asking if i'm one of those people who get sick and don't take medicine because i was meant to get sick?
i am not one of those people, islam teaches to find a cure for diseases, and all diseases have a cure except 2 death and ageing.

'Cause if you believe in free will, then you can make it come quicker [suicide, for example] or delay it [taking medicine against life threatening diseases, for example].

firstly, it is not permited in islam to pray for death to come to you, second, if suicide is due to any hardship in ones life then there is no paradise for such a person.
nothing can delay death, it will come when it comes, god probably has written that if you don't take medicine death will come to you, if you take medicine death will come latter. if you take medicine then maybe it wasn't your time to die therefore you took it, but if you are meant to die then maybe you will not take it. only god knows of that.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd rather reach the 'other side' without dying thanks! Dying usually sucks big time.

shammy

Our creator hd given us a chance to live in this world. but not a careless life. he hd given us guidance..and gave us the freedom of choice. and also he made us aware abt the consequences... if we don't live as he wishes. So life here is like an 'examination'. those who lived caacording to our creator's laws...we wl succeed. the result wl b after our death and the reward on the judgment day. i think and believe tht is concept which hs logic. otherwise wht is the purpose of this life. ? complete justice wl not b attained in this world.. we deserve and.....wish fr tht.so there should b 'another life'

Foxfire

It's all about the Light
Woody Allen said, "“It’s not that I’m afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens.”