• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you looking forward to death?

Ortho

I am a christian, however I am still afraid of death, afraid of pain and beside I can not know for sure if God will find me worthy to dwell in his glory. I hope in his mercy, but still your fate after death is unknown until it actually comes.

Vendetta

"Oscar the grouch"
curious if you could define what you mean by brain death, are you saying complete decay or just prolonged time without oxygen. brain death starts to occur after 10 min. without oxygen.

FOA

Its quite obvious I am.referring to.complete brain death.

noh950

Noh
The death is the first thing at the hereafter, the begening of the eternal life (paradise for the believers, the Hell for non-believers).

no-body

With the exception of hardcore fundamentalist who are probably crazy to begin with, I'm inclined to believe the religious tend to be more afraid of death than people who face reality head on.

For myself I'm not looking forward to death nor avoiding it. It is a fact of life that must be dealt with but it shouldn't be a neurotic obsession either. Death is just a part of living.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Personally I believe that we are eternal beings having an earthly experience. Eternity is the goal, life on earth is a step along the way.

if we are eternal then why would eternity be the goal?
:confused:

I believe that how I spend my life on earth will determine how I spend eternity.
sorry, that doesn't make sense.
if you are eternal that means you existed before you were born, so why would your life on earth make any difference?
you do know what eternal means..no beginning no end...
so even if you were to go to heaven, you will only be aware of yourself...enthralled in your euphoria.
personally i think its a rather boring and mediocre way of thinking, but that's just me

waitasec

Veteran Member
i'm not looking forward to the death of any of the people i care about.
when i'm done the lights will be out in my eternal :sleep:

how i go is another matter. just not in a plane :eek:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
if you are eternal that means you existed before you were born, so why would your life on earth make any difference?

If you take into account the metaphysical Karma system, life on earth causes impressions on our souls that determines both what happens to us in this life, and what happens to us after we die. Part of the goal is to destroy those impressions, and some schools believe that this life on earth is the only way this can happen.

I think if there's something similar going on in his system, that might be what he's talking about.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
i'm not looking forward to the death of any of the people i care about.
when i'm done the lights will be out in my eternal :sleep:

how i go is another matter. just not in a plane :eek:
At least a plane crash would probably be a quick way to go.

:shrug:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
At least a plane crash would probably be a quick way to go.

:shrug:

Except when you consider that (according to Mythbusters' research, anyway) only about 20% of people die on impact; the rest is from the fire because they can't get out (broken limbs, pinned between seats, etc.)

And they say fire is among the worst ways to die.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Except when you consider that (according to Mythbusters' research, anyway) only about 20% of people die on impact; the rest is from the fire because they can't get out (broken limbs, pinned between seats, etc.)

And they say fire is among the worst ways to die.
:eek:

I thought they died pretty quickly on impact in most cases (since the plane is going 100+ MPH). That's terrible.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
I'm not afraid of dying. I am looking forward to the experience. Not that I'm personally going to help it along, I'm enjoying my time here :p

Man of Faith

God built into humans a natural instinct to survive and keep living and to enjoy life. Christians are no different, we love life, living and want to go on for as long as we can. However the longer I am alive, the more I feel the drive and yearn to go home. Home to a Christian is heaven with Jesus. We feel like strangers on this earth because we aren't of it.

I long to be with God and to see my loved ones that have gone on before me. At a Christian funeral there is sadness, joy and happiness as we comfort each other in the knowledge that we will see them again and know they are still alive. So yes, I long for the next life where there won't be any debates, just the truth lived out without question.

For the forgiven such as myself in the next life, there won't be any blaspheme, cursing, killing, hate, atheists, devil or sin. What a joyful time to look forward to. Just the creator God there with us to live forever. However in the mean time I’ll keep plugging along in this cursed world, putting up with it, spreading the message of the cross, and doing good works in Jesus name.

Wills191

I'm only 20 so try not to think about it too much, I wouldnt say I was looking forward to it either...it's pretty scary actually...

:cover: I'll just shut my eyes and not think about it again.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There's no reason to look forward to death unless there are extreme circumstances that compel you to. For me, I don't really mind when the time comes knowing that death, other than it's inevitability, is quite natural. I'll just take things at the moment living life out and enjoy it as best as can be enjoyed with an understanding that death when the time comes, is something akin to birth. Reborn to my former state as it were.