• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Are you scientifically literate? Take our quiz"

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Correct
Wrong
You answered 44 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 88%.

Jesus, that was excruciatingly slow. And I didn't even get a ********* A.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
42 of 50.

Who in the world knew the "Thunder Lizard" one?

I was umm...10 years old back then. I have no idea.

I did! Because of this book: Bully for Brontosaurus, by Stephen Jay Gould. I love that man, and highly recommend all of his reflections on natural history.

As for me:
You answered 33 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 66%.

Yes, a bit embarrassing. But I really don't remember my physics.

TurkeyOnRye

96%, but I'm a physics major who has taken biology and chemistry courses...

Good work. I've taken college-level general biology classes (taking one now, in fact), but I haven't taken a physics class since high school. Never taken a chemistry class.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
42 of 50.

Who in the world knew the "Thunder Lizard" one?

I was umm...10 years old back then. I have no idea.
The apatosaurus/brontosaurus name change is the only one I've ever heard of, so that was a hint right away.

Also, if I remember the other answers correctly, you could eliminate a bunch by looking at the word. "Lizard" is "-saurus", so IIRC, there was one answer that didn't end with that, so you could eliminate it off the bat. I think the other answers were Tyrannosaurus and Stegosaurus, but "tyranno-" means "terrible" and "stego-" means "plate" (I think).

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Hey, is there a compilation of the scores somewhere indicating the average that people get? I didn't see a link on the site.

PS, my fiance, a PhD in ecology, took it and got a 60%. He's now in a foul mood. :D (Although, to be frank, it really was biased in favor physics; not so much biology, physiology, ecology, etc).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
PS, my fiance, a PhD in ecology, took it and got a 60%. He's now in a foul mood. :D (Although, to be frank, it really was biased in favor physics; not so much biology, physiology, ecology, etc).
Anyone remember the show Sliders? There's a line from it that's stuck with me: "biology is for people who don't have the maths for real science."

:D

*runs away from the angry horde of biologists*

lunamoth

Will to love
Anyone remember the show Sliders? There's a line from it that's stuck with me: "biology is for people who don't have the maths for real science."

That's it! You are now banned from medical assistance, buying ornamental plants, and eating Flavr Svr tomatoes.

OK, maybe that last one will not be missed.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member

*Brandishes nice and shiny pitchfork in Penguin's general direction