• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Are you sure you are an Atheist?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I don't understand what this means. You think logic is an inheritable trait, and impacts on the ability of a person to procure a mate and pass this trait on?
No. I was referring to the strength of the fittest. That the strength of the logic of language will survive.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
No. I was referring to the strength of the fittest. That the strength of the logic of language will survive.

Hmm...survival of the fittest doesn't work that way though? Anyways...unimportant, and I dont want to derail, was just confused.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I don't really see why atheists should be in charge of defining 'atheism', or indeed, which particular atheist would manage this even if atheists WERE in charge.
Atheists can only really describe their own form of atheism. In effect, what is it about them that causes them to self-identify as atheists.
Obviously there will be some basic commonalities in this...the word does at least have some basic principles without which it becomes meaningless. But it kinda end there, I would have thought.
Does this mean we can no longer say babies are atheist since that is not "our atheism."

Curious George

Veteran Member
Sorry if I misread. Today is my Friday and it's been an exhausting week!

If we're talking about default atheism in the 'babies are atheist' thread sense, then yeah, I call babies implicit atheism because that's how implicit atheism is defined (though if any baby self-identified as something else I would certainly go with what they identify. lol ) Similarly I would call a Christian a theist unless they told me that their Christian belief wasn't actually theistic (yes, Christian atheists exist) because Christianity is usually defined as a theistic belief.

I don't think anyone has the right to define, or at least any group. It's not like the definition of implicit atheism is made for and by atheists, it's used in theological and philosophical discussions at large.

.'

Stretching for internal consistency doesn't work too well...implicit atheism just doesn't hold up.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Some atheists are special little snowflakes. They worry about semantics, for some unknown reason. If I'm picking a group to belong to, atheism is a poor one, because it is more about not belonging to the theist 'group' than of any particular dogmatic commonality amongst atheists. Some people seem to miss the point, and want atheism to mean 'science' or 'rationality' (or 'devil-worshipper' or 'immoral' just as bizarrely...it's not just atheists who can be a little special in this sense!!).
You're one of the good kind. Atheist because you know it.

Implicit atheism, basically. I mean, the definition makes sense, in so far as those babies (for example) are not theists. But it's about as useless an argument as I've heard here, in my opinion.
+100p.

I'm an atheist though. So if atheists are supposedly in charge of defining atheism, surely I can cast my vote in the 'ffs...get over yourselves. Atheism is just a shorthand description for a range of non-belief, and should promote rather than inhibit meaningful discussion'...right?
Right. I'm behind ya' on that.

I completely agree that language evolves, and is convoluted. It's why I get tired of semantic argument. Establishing a common term of reference with someone for a particular discussion is of course important. But trying to work out the 'right' meaning of a word is doomed to become an exercise in derailment.
Agree.

It's actually more useful to ask: "What's the meaning of the word to you?" And go from there. Not dictating, "Nah! You're using the word wrong according to my holy dictionary, so you're wrong and have to change to fit my ideas, so I can then later tell you that you're wrong in the end."

That's what happens when someone tells a theist, "No, you can't define God THAT way! You have to define God THIS way, MY way, so in the end God doesn't exist, because that's how I want God to be defined!"

Basically, it's bad logic. Me dictating your definition only so I can get the upper hand to prove you wrong. ... but man, do I fall into the same trap repeatedly...

Whilst not offering myself as an expert in linguistics, I used to lecture at undergraduate level in English language development, so I have at least some understanding of the movement of language. It is a tool of communication, and that doesn't require the 'right' definitions to be used, but rather agreed definitions between the communicating parties.
+1000p.

I've had dialogues with people who use words in the strangest ways, and yet I could make sense out of it. Everyone else asked me, "how can you talk to that guy? He doesn't make any sense!" But to me, I totally could read between the lines. The words doesn't make the concepts, but rather the combination and the context, or something. (I had some beer, so I probably don't make any sense right now.)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Does this mean we can no longer say babies are atheist since that is not "our atheism."

Well...more that trying to get universal agreement is pretty unlikely. I'm okay with calling babies implicit atheists, but implicit atheism and explicit atheism bare no relationship anyway, apart from a basic 'no theism'.

Ultimately the whole 'babies are atheists' argument seems weirdly semantic. Im not sure why anyone is too interested in recruiting pooping, dribbling buckets of pee on 'their team' anyway.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Sorry if I misread. Today is my Friday and it's been an exhausting week!
I hear ya'. We just trapped a HUGE rat in our kitchen (and released it in the park).

If we're talking about default atheism in the 'babies are atheist' thread sense, then yeah, I call babies implicit atheism because that's how implicit atheism is defined (though if any baby self-identified as something else I would certainly go with what they identify. lol )
No. Self-identified is something a person identify him/herself to be. Babies don't have the ability to identify themselves.

You can identify them as such, but babies don't identify themselves.

Similarly I would call a Christian a theist unless they told me that their Christian belief wasn't actually theistic (yes, Christian atheists exist) because Christianity is usually defined as a theistic belief.
There's a difference between you or me identifying someone else as something and the person identifying him/herself. Self-identify means that the person does it, not you or me. Hence "self-" in front of "-identify".

I don't think anyone has the right to define, or at least any group. It's not like the definition of implicit atheism is made for and by atheists, it's used in theological and philosophical discussions at large.
But it's not the self identifying it. My issue here is only that babies don't self-identify as anything.

If someone defines a god as including something purely physical I would just respond that I don't agree with that definition, or think that the definition of gods which include no supernatural elements to be equally breaking of dialogue, because it loses significance as a descriptive term, to me. However, I wouldn't say 'no, he's not!' Similarly I would hope that those who do believe in purely physical or materialistic god(s) wouldn't go to an atheist and say 'Well I believe this is god therefore you can't be an atheist and you must admit that my god exists.'
I haven't seen any theist saying that. I have never suggested that atheists are pantheists. But I have experienced atheists saying that I'm "playing with words" to being a pantheist because my definition of "God" is wrong. It's not up to the atheist to decide the definition, is it?

We can approach each other and feel out the differences in our belief while simultaneously understanding that we're probably not going to agree on a joint definition of 'god(s).'
Sure. We can disagree on the definitions, however, it's the theist who defines what God(s) they believe in.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Well...more that trying to get universal agreement is pretty unlikely. I'm okay with calling babies implicit atheists, but implicit atheism and explicit atheism bare no relationship anyway, apart from a basic 'no theism'.
Sure. It's different. I prefer to consider "implicit atheism" to be equal to "agnosticism", but that's me.

--edit:
Actually, I rather call them non-theists or undecided or something, but there's no reason (for me) to put them in a designated basket. And it's my SQL and null-pointer in C/C++ background. Null values are "not known value" or "undefined". Ternary logic.

Ultimately the whole 'babies are atheists' argument seems weirdly semantic. Im not sure why anyone is too interested in recruiting pooping, dribbling buckets of pee on 'their team' anyway.
I suggested last year that it's an attempt to bring in more to the fold, but it wasn't a very popular view. :D

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member

But why be okay with defining what someone else's form of atheism is? Your post to which I responded indicated that you were against this. If however we leave explicit atheism as atheism then when someone says a god exists is true...we say theist. When someone says a god exists is not true...we say atheist. And when someone says they don't know (or withold belief) we say agnostic. And lastly, when the conversation is not applicable...we just say it isn't applicable. Problem solved.

When we get someone insisting that a potato is god, we call them a theist because they believe god exists. We still maintain our own atheism, despite belief in the existence of the potato because...well we believe no god exists.

No equivocation follows, no labeling others contrary to their views, or without knowing whether they do or do not believe a god exists...all this is done based on an individuals understanding of god and whether or not that individual believes that definition exists or does not exist.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But why be okay with defining what someone else's form of atheism is?

Because it's an argument without impact. If you tell me you don't consider babies as atheists, and then the next person tells me they do, it matters not at all to me. My next question to either of you would be 'So?'
To my mind, if someone says they worship a greater being, but consider themselves an atheist, I'm unwilling to simply say 'Okay, well, we all define our own terms'. I have my own opinion on what atheism entails, and what theism entails, and within this framework I will tend to group people. However, if someone is able to articulate their position, regardless of whether I agree with it or not, it enables clear communication, which is all that really matters, unless third parties are involved.

Your post to which I responded indicated that you were against this. If however we leave explicit atheism as atheism then when someone says a god exists is true...we say theist. When someone says a god exists is not true...we say atheist. And when someone says they don't know (or withold belief) we say agnostic. And lastly, when the conversation is not applicable...we just say it isn't applicable. Problem solved.

Define it however you like. My point is that for two people to communicate, they need only to understand each other's terms of reference. If you and I were talking, and you wanted to suggest babies fall into a 'not applicable' category, then I'd say fine. That is how I think about them from a practical point of view anyway. What generally frustrates me is the seeming need of many to have a semantic argument and then to WIN said semantic argument. It's a meaningless exercise. Babies makes no decisions, and any 'position' they hold is without merit, in terms of rationalism. To me, basically, there is no problem to solve.

When we get someone insisting that a potato is god, we call them a theist because they believe god exists. We still maintain our own atheism, despite belief in the existence of the potato because...well we believe no god exists.

Pretty much. We don't view the potato as a God, nor any other object.

No equivocation follows, no labeling others contrary to their views, or without knowing whether they do or do not believe a god exists...all this is done based on an individuals understanding of god and whether or not that individual believes that definition exists or does not exist.

Sort of true. Again, to me, it's understanding someones points of reference. They consider the potato a God, ergo I understand that they consider themselves a theist. What I consider them may or may not be the same, but I am willing to accept that they are a theist. But the semantic argument...the useless argument, which I really don't want to dedicate more words to...is that they are a theist because they view the potato as God. The absence of any such belief is atheism, if not neccessarily any sort of informed atheism. I'm Australian, regardless of my 'consent'.
I suggested in a different thread that it might be easier to just assign a label of 'animists' to babies and be done with it. I assume they think their stuffed rabbit has a soul. Who knows? Who cares?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Sure. It's different. I prefer to consider "implicit atheism" to be equal to "agnosticism", but that's me.

Yup...put me in the 'Don't Care' bucket. I guess I see the same issue with agnostocism as with atheism. Agnostocism can be a considered philosophical position suggesting that knowledge of God is impossible. This is obviously not the babies view. But it's all good. I just figure we're a word short, or implicit atheism is the word. Either way. I get how 'Implicit atheism' can be seen as a means of 'winning' some sort of argument, although it's certainly not in my case.

--edit:
Actually, I rather call them non-theists or undecided or something, but there's no reason (for me) to put them in a designated basket. And it's my SQL and null-pointer in C/C++ background. Null values are "not known value" or "undefined". Ternary logic.

Works for me. Semantically, I think they are implicit atheists, actually, but I'd kinda prefer I didn't. The description holds no value, and simply leads to circular discussions that add nothing to my worldview. BTW, I'm a SQL geek...ahem...

I suggested last year that it's an attempt to bring in more to the fold, but it wasn't a very popular view. :D

I think it can be, truth be told. It's kinda the atheist equivalent of theists saying 'You can't hear God because you are closed to Him' or something.
But there are a number of people on here who see babies as implicit atheists, and also hold my respect, so I'd prefer to say in SOME cases it could be a recruitment drive.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Because it's an argument without impact. If you tell me you don't consider babies as atheists, and then the next person tells me they do, it matters not at all to me. My next question to either of you would be 'So?'
To my mind, if someone says they worship a greater being, but consider themselves an atheist, I'm unwilling to simply say 'Okay, well, we all define our own terms'. I have my own opinion on what atheism entails, and what theism entails, and within this framework I will tend to group people. However, if someone is able to articulate their position, regardless of whether I agree with it or not, it enables clear communication, which is all that really matters, unless third parties are involved.

Define it however you like. My point is that for two people to communicate, they need only to understand each other's terms of reference. If you and I were talking, and you wanted to suggest babies fall into a 'not applicable' category, then I'd say fine. That is how I think about them from a practical point of view anyway. What generally frustrates me is the seeming need of many to have a semantic argument and then to WIN said semantic argument. It's a meaningless exercise. Babies makes no decisions, and any 'position' they hold is without merit, in terms of rationalism. To me, basically, there is no problem to solve.

Pretty much. We don't view the potato as a God, nor any other object.

Sort of true. Again, to me, it's understanding someones points of reference. They consider the potato a God, ergo I understand that they consider themselves a theist. What I consider them may or may not be the same, but I am willing to accept that they are a theist. But the semantic argument...the useless argument, which I really don't want to dedicate more words to...is that they are a theist because they view the potato as God. The absence of any such belief is atheism, if not neccessarily any sort of informed atheism. I'm Australian, regardless of my 'consent'.
I suggested in a different thread that it might be easier to just assign a label of 'animists' to babies and be done with it. I assume they think their stuffed rabbit has a soul. Who knows? Who cares?
So, you are okay with dictating others beliefs, when doing such is clearly communicated? It just seemed for a moment that you didn't want to do such.

So, it is completely kosher to refer to someone as an atheist if the entity that they believe is a god isn't accepted as a god to the person making the reference?

**edit**
Hmmm let me try to clear up that last sentence: it is completely kosher for a person to refer to another as an atheist, if that person, making such a reference, doesn't accept the accept that other's god, as fitting within the definition of god?

Well, that may have made it worse, idk...you be the judge

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't use the word "God" (which in proper case like that, specifically designates the one-god of the Bible) I use the word god(s). I use that term because it is the correct termsto use. Classical monotheism does not have a monopoly on the word "god" in spite of their repeated efforts to wipe out all other theological perspectives aside from their own.

The question that should be asked is not "why do I, as a polytheist, pantheist, and animist, use the word god to describe my gods" but "why do others continue to indulge classical monotheist hegemony and disrespectful ethnocentrism?" It drives me freaking nuts.
Those two questions are independent. Just because a monotheist-centric position is too limited doesn't necessarily mean that your perspective should be viewed as correct.

Frankly, when you talk about "deifying" things, I'm not really sure what you mean. It seems like you're assuming an approach something like "anything I worship is a god to me" (is that correct?). I disagree with this, even though I certainly don't think that monotheism is the end-all and be-all of god-belief.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
So, you are okay with dictating others beliefs, when doing such is clearly communicated? It just seemed for a moment that you didn't want to do such.

So, it is completely kosher to refer to someone as an atheist if the entity that they believe is a god isn't accepted as a god to the person making the reference?

**edit**
Hmmm let me try to clear up that last sentence: it is completely kosher for a person to refer to another as an atheist, if that person, making such a reference, doesn't accept the accept that other's god, as fitting within the definition of god?

Well, that may have made it worse, idk...you be the judge

I'll try and answer, but honestly I'm not sure if I've understood your meaning. So apologies if I miss the mark, but I'm trying here...!! Just restate what you mean if I have misunderstood I guess.

Let's say you worship Earth, as some sort of Gaea type figure. To me, Earth is Earth, worthy of awe in some ways, but not something I would worship.
You would refer to yourself as a theist ( in this example, at least...). And so I would be fine with that. You worship Earth, you're a theist. Nevermind what MY opinion about Earth is.
A Christian is a theist, nevermind that I'm not 100% sure Jesus even existed, much less was both God and the Son of God. It is the person's belief and their worship which establishes them as theists, in simple terms.

But atheism is not theism. To me, that holds true in 2 different ways, actually;
1) The meaning of atheism, in a modern sense, is the absence of theism. More traditionally, it was related to the absence of certain forms of theism, but language evolves, as someone else here has mentioned.
2) There is a false equivalency in treating theism and atheism the same. If atheism is the lack of theism in people, then babies (by that definition) are atheists. To be a theist, I lay claim to some particular God belief. No atheist on Earth would think they have considered and rebutted every God belief.

Ultimately, this argument is (in my opinion) meaningless. I have seen it had on RF many times, and whilst I reluctantly would think babies are (in a purely semantic sense) atheists (ie. without theism) the simple fact is the argument is a complete sidetrack from anything that holds substance, meaning or worth. Babies are babies. They poo, they wee, they feed, they scream, they sleep and they don't give 2 hoots what we all think they technically are. They're babies. Overthinking it is completely redundant.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In which meaningful sense would implicit atheism be any different from non-theism? The former is a subset of the later, perhaps?

Marsh

Religious as in truly religious. An honest to goodness structured religion which doesn't include a supernatural being.
To be clear, that's not me. I don't really 'get it' to be honest, but there are definitely people who live in that manner, be they Unitarians, or Buddhists of certain philosophical leanings, etc.
Alright, I see your point. I have a friend, former Catholic, who has for a number of years been -- what I call -- a New Age Buddhist. She's not really an atheist, more an agnostic, leaning toward theism. Wikipedia distinguishes between Unitarianism (a Christian religion) and Unitarian Universalism which includes atheists, agnostics, Christians, Jews, and others in the mix. I don't understand the draw either, but there are many kinds of us (humans). I'm just a plain old atheist, but many people, as you point out, (as evidenced on this forum) want to attach all sorts of other descriptors to the word atheist.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Alright, I see your point. I have a friend, former Catholic, who has for a number of years been -- what I call -- a New Age Buddhist. She's not really an atheist, more an agnostic, leaning toward theism. Wikipedia distinguishes between Unitarianism (a Christian religion) and Unitarian Universalism which includes atheists, agnostics, Christians, Jews, and others in the mix. I don't understand the draw either, but there are many kinds of us (humans). I'm just a plain old atheist, but many people, as you point out, (as evidenced on this forum) want to attach all sorts of other descriptors to the word atheist.

Yep. Plain old atheist here too, mate.
;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
many people, as you point out, (as evidenced on this forum) want to attach all sorts of other descriptors to the word atheist.
As is to be expected.

- Actual people have, of course, goals, values and aspirations and hope to express and be acknowledged for them.

- Atheism, in and of itself, does not have nor suggest any.

- There is a practical need to discourage misconceptions about people being some form of theists (in this stance including deism, pantheism, etc) since there is such a strong cultural bias towards presuming and expecting it.

All three circunstances exist at the same time, so it is only natural for many to feel the need to point out that they are indeed atheists, but that atheists is not all that they are.

Marsh

In which meaningful sense would implicit atheism be any different from non-theism? The former is a subset of the later, perhaps?
What do you mean by "implicit atheism"? Is an implicit (suggested though not directly expressed) atheist someone who hasn't come out and claimed atheist status? I've many times been in situations where I've not expressed my atheism and those I'm chatting with just assume I'm a Christian.