• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Arrested for weed

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
I've never been arrested for possession or consumption of any substance. In fact I don't smoke... anything. I just thought the thread title would gather a crowd. This thread is to vent my frustrations at how many lives are ruined because our government and the "great" law enforcement in this nation have demonized a plant which, when consumed or inhaled or whatever else, is less dangerous than caffeine. :facepalm:

Our politicians can get drunk in public, and people kill themselves with addictive substances like tobacco, but god forbid some college students smoke bud. Sigh.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
I've never been arrested for possession or consumption of any substance. In fact I don't smoke... anything. I just thought the thread title would gather a crowd. This thread is to vent my frustrations at how many lives are ruined because our government and the "great" law enforcement in this nation have demonized a plant which, when consumed or inhaled or whatever else, is less dangerous than caffeine. :facepalm:

Our politicians can get drunk in public, and people kill themselves with addictive substances like tobacco, but god forbid some college students smoke bud. Sigh.
Agreed.

Jeremy Mason

I agree, caging, fining or harassing people for cannabis possession, cultivation and distribution is immoral.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's one of the reasons I vote Libertarian.
It's probably also part of the reason we usually lose.

dust1n

Zindīq
I know countless people I've met both close and afar whose lives have been ruined for similar incidences.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Drinking is legal, so is smoking.
Weed is illegal.

So you do not understand what exactly?
Why people are being arrested for carrying, dealing, and consuming an illegal substance?
My first guess would be because it is illegal to carry, deal, and consume weed.

Why are the lives "ruined"?
Because they made the decision to carry, deal, or consume an illegal substance.

Should wed be an illegal substance?
I don't think so.
In fact, I think it should be legalized, taxed, and regulated just like alcohol and tobacco.
At least then the government would not be wasting so much time and money with their half arsed enforcement of weed laws and would in fact be getting money from all the weed being sold.

Will it ever happen?
I seriously doubt it.
The government needs something that they distract the population with and the "War on Drugs" works well enough.

Do I feel sorry for or pity someone whose life has been "ruined" because they decided to engage in the illegal activities associated with weed?
Nope.
Not one bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Drinking is legal, so is smoking.
Weed is illegal.

So you do not understand what exactly?
Why people are being arrested for carrying, dealing, and consuming an illegal substance?
My first guess would be because it is illegal to carry, deal, and consume weed.

Why are the lives "ruined"?
Because they made the decision to carry, deal, or consume an illegal substance.

Should wed be an illegal substance?
I don't think so.
In fact, I think it should be legalized, taxed, and regulated just like alcohol and tobacco.
At least then the government would not be wasting so much time and money with their half arsed enforcement of weed laws and would in fact be getting money from all the weed being sold.

Will it ever happen?
I seriously doubt it.
The government needs something that they distract the population with and the "War on Drugs" works well enough.

Do I feel sorry for or pity someone whose life has been "ruined" because they decided to engage in the illegal activities associated with weed?
Nope.
Not one bit.

Just saying...

Marijuana will not be made legal, BECAUSE it cannot be taxed.
Four bases must be covered for that to happen.
Manufacture, distribution, sale, and use.

Our government is not good at controlling any such thing.
Miss any point of the scheme of things and the 'control' disappears.

The law has been failing since 1937, to 'control' the substance.
It's a failed war.
Now turned into an economic war.

If weed was legal at any point in the scheme of things.....
Tobacco sales would plummet.

Alcohol sales would slack.

Fewer people would die every year....people would live longer.
Social security would need to write 400,000 new checks every year.

400,000 funerals would be delayed at the average cost...$10,000 dollars per service.

Fewer people would not spend their life savings recovering from long term addictions.....health costs would go down.

Paper can be made from hemp....we stop cutting trees for paper.

The list goes on.

As for the people jailed....may God bless them all.
As for the self righteous that believe in the laws of Man....
they are the cause that this scam of a law continues.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not particularly drawn to marijuana, but my biggest reasons for not smoking have to do with the effects that a possession conviction might have: myths code of ethics for my professional licence has a "good character" clause (which is generally interpreted to prohibit illegal drugs, among other things) and I know that even one conviction for simple possession could get me barred from entering the US.

So even though I probably wouldn't smoke pot if it was completely legal, I do still bristle a bit at the current state of the law.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
It is pathetic that we can drink until our livers are rotten, we can smoke until our lungs are blackened, we can eat McDonalds until we have a heart attack, we can be given highly addictive and destructive drugs legally from a doctor, but yet to touch a super-plant with so many beneficial medical and commercial uses and the ability to add jobs and fuel the economy is simply off limits and carries the penalty of a ruined life. Never mind pot is non-addictive and has never caused a fatal over-dose.

Marijuana will not be made legal, BECAUSE it cannot be taxed.
Four bases must be covered for that to happen.
Manufacture, distribution, sale, and use.
Marijuana can easily be taxed, in the similar way that alcohol and tobacco is taxed.
As for manufacture, marijuana is a weed and grows just about anywhere in America. Distribution is not an issue either, as we already distribute many plants as it is, including tobacco. The sale is also just as easy as alcohol and cigarettes. And the plus side is is that once something is legal and regulated, it significantly reduces underage/teen use as it makes the substance harder for them to acquire. And as for use the answer is obviously medical and recreational.

Alceste

Vagabond
I'm not particularly drawn to marijuana, but my biggest reasons for not smoking have to do with the effects that a possession conviction might have: myths code of ethics for my professional licence has a "good character" clause (which is generally interpreted to prohibit illegal drugs, among other things) and I know that even one conviction for simple possession could get me barred from entering the US.

So even though I probably wouldn't smoke pot if it was completely legal, I do still bristle a bit at the current state of the law.

This is a law I break whenever I feel like it. I live in BC. I don't think the police can afford to harass all the casual smokers here. I am sure it will be legalized in my lifetime. A little discretion is all that is really needed until then.