• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Article: USA changes passports from father/mother to parent 1 and parent 2

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't have a problem with this issue. Neither do I see why there is an issue.
Parent 1 and Parent 2. Okay. So what?
This purging our language of traditional terms to the new god of political correctness is evil!
"Parent 1" & "Parent 2" replacing "Mother" & "Father"?
My significant other & I are furious.

Rakhel

When I got my daughters' passports, the problem I ran into was that there was no parent 2 for them, and their step-father couldn't be Parent 2 on the application.
If it hadn't been for the fact that there was no father listed on their birth certificates, I never would have been able to get their passports. 1 Because I didn't know where "daddy" was and 2 I didn't even know if "daddy" still alive.

If there is a second parent listed on the birth certificate, that second parent has to be listed on the passport application or you ain't gettin' that passport.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
When applying for a passport, the parents don't have to be alive. And I can't recall, since it's been awhile since I got our passports, but does it ask for an address for the parents? If so, I guess just put the last known address.

I'm sure that there are plenty of people with passports who don't know where their parents live or if they're still alive. It just has to match up with the birth certificate. It's not an indicator of whether or not the parent is a "good" parent! It's strictly for ID purposes.

Rakhel

If the parent is dead it requires a death certificate. IF the parent is alive but not married to the one getting the passport, there must be a notarized statement from the other parent giving permission for the child to get the passport.
This all stems from the '80s when parents were kidnapping children from their custodial parents and running to other countries.

My kids' passports are only two years old.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Well, how did you get their passports?

She already covered that one, Kathryn.
If it hadn't been for the fact that there was no father listed on their birth certificates, I never would have been able to get their passports.

Hell, I had to prove my father was really dead when I applied for mine, and I was 28 at the time.

Kathryn

She already covered that one, Kathryn.

Hell, I had to prove my father was really dead when I applied for mine, and I was 28 at the time.

Well, I went back and reread it and by jove you're right - there was no father listed on the birth certificates so..what's the problem?

As for having to prove your father is dead - all I know is this: Since the rise of international terrorism, verifying the IDs of all of us, especially as we travel, has become much more important - for everyone. For instance, I work in a bank, and we have to have the following to open an acct:

1. State issued photo ID - not expired - which includes a birthdate and expiration date

2. Social security number (which we verify)

3. A PHYSICAL address - not simply a PO box

You would be amazed at how many people balk at providing one or more of the above. Just yesterday I had a woman CALL ME at the bank, and then REFUSE to give me her SS number (I was trying to verify her ID over the phone). WHAT THE HECK?

When setting up an estate account, we have to have all sorts of proof of death and the right of the person in front of us to handle the deceased's accounts.

Unfortunately, ID theft is a huge and growing problem in our global society. Get used to more paperwork to prove who you are and why you're doing whatever it is you want to do.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
As for having to prove your father is dead - all I know is this: Since the rise of international terrorism, verifying the IDs of all of us, especially as we travel, has become much more important - for everyone......

I fail to see how any of that requires me to prove my father was dead when I was applying for a passport. Proving he's dead doesn't verify my identity. And, since I've been an adult for quite a while, his permission definitely wasn't needed. A little common sense goes a long way.

I am glad to see that the current forms seem to no longer require that information.

Last edited:

Kathryn

To clarify -I didn't say it was JUSTIFIED - I just said to be prepared for more paperwork when you are doing ANYTHING involving proving your identity.

It's a pain, I know.

Twiglet04

This purging our language of traditional terms to the new god of political correctness is evil!
"Parent 1" & "Parent 2" replacing "Mother" & "Father"?
My significant other & I are furious.

Purging YOUR language? The American version of English is so corrupted already I don't think changing the passport forms will make much difference!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I think it should be a case-by-case thing. Obviously gay parents aren't going to have Mother/Father, but legal guardians aren't legally "parent 1/parent 2" either.
I was going to comment on the site saying something to this extent, but the language that is allowed on the comments I found very shocking for a "conservative" base (or just any human with a brain) and I decided to not.

dmgdnooc

We've improved the language. We're waiting for Brits to catch up.

Hmmm. Say the word tomato and listen when you speak.

It's the Queen's English, and every one else must follow (at a minimum of 4 paces) in her majestic wake. Or admit they stole the language from her.
Them's the rules buster.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Hmmm. Say the word tomato and listen when you speak.
Yes, and? Listen to yourself say the word. Vowels are supposed to sound differently from one another, you know.

It's the Queen's English, and every one else must follow (at a minimum of 4 paces) in her majestic wake. Or admit they stole the language from her.
Them's the rules buster.
That's not how language and culture works.

Blackheart

'Mother,' 'Father' Changing to 'Parent One,' 'Parent Two' on Passport Applications - FoxNews.com

Gosh, I really really am beginning to dislike Americans...

I do like this change, but sooo many of the comments are so adamant that a child must only have a male and female as parents, that it makes me sick to the stomach.

As if the end of the American country will become degraded and downfallen because of giving rights to sexual minorities.

Id love to see what you would say if it stopped being a minority. Can you imagine if the population began to decrease. I reckon alot of people would suddenly be preaching homophobia lol.

dmgdnooc

Yes, and? Listen to yourself say the word. Vowels are supposed to sound differently from one another, you know.

That's not how language and culture works.

I am an Australian, I speak a dialect of 'Strine' which is a daughter of the parent English.
My pronunciation is not in accord with the Queen's English either, I know - I've listened. But that does not inhibit my recognition of the fact that Her Majesty is the arbiter of pronunciation in the parent language, English; that she leads and others follow by long held convention.

Now, you speak a dialect of US English, also a daughter of the parent English.
And I don't accept that either of us speaks an 'improved' English language; merely one adapted to local use and altered over time by distance from the source.

'Gonna getcha dude' is a thing (probably 3 things) that ERII would never say.