• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As we learn about Mother Tamil and matriarchal society, patriarchal society

GoodAttention

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala my understanding Isaac living in Indus Valley ancient India. So that means Rebekkah living in Indus Valley India

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala what did the Yadavas think about Isaac and Rebekah in Indus Valley ancient India

Please note I don't agree that Rebekkah was living in the Indus Valley, only that her grandparents Milcah and Nahor *could* have lived there (Ur Kasdim).

By the time Rebekkah was born they had moved back into the Northern Fertile Plains of Mesopotamia.

My opinion is Isaac was born in the Middle East, present day Israel, within the land promised to Abraham.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
A friend forwarded me a video on TikTok that I thought you could be interested in.

I wonder if our ancient ancestors did this in the sand to "show off" :tearsofjoy:

How to "open" a triangle (without the use of psychedelics), with 12 moves in total, plus 1 move if counting the drawing of a triangle :)

https://www.tiktok.com/video/7302798707907431712
Do not bombard me with sites which are security problems. My uBlock Origin stops them and I do not visit sites like Tiktok, Whatsapp, etc.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The relationship with Terah and Abram is a shadow in comparison to the relationship that exists between Abram, Sarai, and God.
Sarah was more important in Abraham's household. She was beautiful and employed in the house of Pharaoh. Abraham was only a tag-along, Sarah's brother (as far as the Pharaoh's household knew).
Please note I don't agree that Rebekkah was living in the Indus Valley, only that her grandparents Milcah and Nahor *could* have lived there (Ur Kasdim).
And why would Ur Kasdim be IVC? Ur of the Chaldees - Wikipedia

Last edited:

GoodAttention

Do not bombard me with sites which are security problems. My uBlock Origin stops them and I do not visit sites like tiktok, Whatsapp, etc.

Ah that is a shame.

Here is a screenshot, I've since deleted the link.

I'm sure you can get where it is going.

Untitled.png

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Because the "Oor" was "kashtum", or the Land became "Difficult/Troubled"...
I wonder who, or what, caused this circa 1900BCE...?
All lands have been in trouble sometime or the other. Kashtum? Kashta? Difficulty!
And where does 1900 BCE come in?

I do not understand what 'opening of a triangle' means. It is a nice image, but not one that I would pursue without getting a hint of what it is trying to do.

GoodAttention

All lands have been in trouble sometime or the other. Kashtum? Kashta? Difficulty!
And where does 1900 BCE come in?

Chronology in time of birth of Abraham and then leaving Ur Kasdim, if going by the birth and death of Peleg and calculating from Adam via Noah.

- "when the Earth was divided"
- 4.2ky event
- During which time there was difficulty!

I do not understand what 'opening of a triangle' means. It is a nice image, but not one that I would pursue without getting a hint of what it is trying to do.

First move (after triangle)

Untitled.png

Second move (120 degree rotation anti-clockwise)

Untitled2.png

Third move

Untitled3.png

I think you can work out the rest :)

Last edited:

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
River Sea said
@Bharat Jhunjhunwala my understanding of Isaac living in Indus Valley ancient India. So that means Rebekah living in Indus Valley India

@Bharat Jhunjhunwala what did the Yadavas think about Isaac and Rebekah in Indus Valley ancient India

So your thoughts @Bharat Jhunjhunwala about Ironian with the Yadavas tribe with Rebekah who was married to Isaac?
Yes, I believe that Rebekah and Isaac lived in the Indus Valley. Their son Jacob also lived in the Indus Valley.

I sense that they lived in the southwest portion of the Indus Valley, and Jacob had migrated from the southwest to the northeast.

GoodAttention

- Do you believe all that?
- Is it cutting up slices out of beef for roasting? ;)

I like to believe in what makes sense, and I like to think I am a reasonable person. People who want to believe Ur can not be anywhere near India, but then look at a map and the entire place is literally covered in places called something-ur, what is one to think? Kasdim/Kashtum/Kasta meaning difficulty makes more sense than Chaldeans. It even gives sense to Chaldean if "Kasd" was the name of Nahor's son anyway, named after "trouble". The Chaldeans were trouble incarnate.

What is there to gain from making such claims, if it means I must go against the known truth and collective memory of an entire peoples? TBD.

Funny you mention slices of beef. Only today I purchased homemade chilli-beef biltong from a pleasant Jewish fellow! (not Kashmiri chilis) :p

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What is there to gain from making such claims, if it means I must go against the known truth and collective memory of an entire peoples? TBD.

Funny you mention slices of beef. Only today I purchased homemade chilli-beef biltong from a pleasant Jewish fellow! (not Kashmiri chilis) :p
Known truth: immaculate conception, resurrection?
Collective memory: God, heaven, hell, life-after-death everlasting?
Sorry, no. Your conditions of acceptance of truth are very tough.

Nice. Now tale a marker and cut it in the way indicated (triangles), roast them and enjoy? Kashmiri chili is hardly a chili. It is just color. :)

GoodAttention

Known truth: immaculate conception, resurrection?
Collective memory: God, heaven, hell, life-after-death everlasting?
Sorry, no. Your conditions of acceptance of truth are very tough.

Nice. Now tale a marker and cut it in the way indicated (triangles), roast them and enjoy? Kashmiri chili is hardly a chili. It is just color. :)

Haha!

I bought my beef sliced, but then you underline sections of my words as if performing surgery and then feed them back to me like it is the treatment for my malady? No need to apoligize friend, I didn't make any conditions for truth, but history/herstory is another matter.

You asked, I shared, we laughed, such is life. I prefer goat over beef and capsacin in my chillies. @River Sea is correct, there is no hell. None worse than what we have done to each other.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
.. there is no hell. None worse than what we have done to each other.
That is true. There is none and people are asked to follow untruth to avoid this imaginary frightening land, and falsely promised everlasting life in another imaginary always-happy land. These false promises do not make us treat each other better. They land us in greater conflict because your God is not my God, your book is not my book. Your messenger is not my messenger. Religion is a malady which needs surgery.

River Sea

@GoodAttention @Bharat Jhunjhunwala I found this - what is this all saying

https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateReligion/comments/1c3qmyu

Ur Kasdim is in the Western Himalayas not Mesopotamia Part II​

Abrahamic

In my previous post about this topic (link below) I explained how the 4.2ky event scientifically documented as historical could correlate with the Genesis description of a migration of Abraham's forefathers towards the Indus Valley between 2200BC and 1900BC, starting with Peleg "when the Earth was divided".
I then determined that, if the location of Ur Kasdim was indeed in this location, then Ur Kasdim could be a combination of Sumerian, Sanskrit, and Hebrew, a hypothesis that the word itself portrays the movement from Mesopotamia to the Indus Valley by a Semetic people, and describe what would then translate as "The Land of the Khas people". I will add that, while I say Sanskrit, the word itself could be of a different origin, however the point to make is that it is foreign to Hebrew.
The main argument of this post is to discuss why the current consensus that Ur Kasdim is or describes Chaldean Babylon is not supported in the scriptures, with thanks to u/arachnophilia for engaging with me in discussion and providing sources.

Ur Kasdim or Kasdim Ur? - Whilst kasdim occurs 80 times in the the Hebrew texts, the words "Ur Kasdim" occur only 4 times, 3 in Genesis and once in Nehemiah. In all 4 occurrences the word Kasdim follows Ur as מֵא֣וּר כַּשְׂדִּ֗ים.
It is my belief that a more correct translation to English could read Kasdim-ur, by using "ur" as a loan word meaning "land or place of", rather than the place name Ur. I would appreciate any comments from experts in Hebrew to support whether such a reading could be the case.
When looking at a map of the Indian subcontinent, the suffix "ur" is extremely common, with place names stretching from present day Pakistan down along the western coast of India and into northern Sri Lanka. It is known that the Sumerians and Indus Valley Civilisation had trade and potentially linguistic connections, given how the Indus Valley script cuneiform bear some resemblence and relationship with Sumerian cuneiform (reference below).

The Chaldeans/Kasdim - Taking Ur out of consideration, the remaining 76 occurrences of kasdim within the scripture refer to the Chaldeans as a people or Chaldea as a place. The argument put forward for the current understanding is that, since the verses containing kasdim describe a location or connection to Babylon or Babylonians, Ur Kasdim is therefore also Babylon/Ur.
I believe this is the best/worst example of a confirmation bias mixed with anachronism, by neglecting first that the Chaldeans were foreigners in Mesopotamia, and second ignoring the question of where they came from before they we "famous".
I am not disputing kasdim are the Chaldeans, or that the land of the Chaldeans, or Kasdimah, could then be considered "neo-Babylon", as described in the scriptures of Isaiah and Jeremiah, but that it remains separate from Ur Kasdim/Kasdim-ur, the land of Abram's nativity (Genesis 11:28) and the same place that God brings Abram out of (Neremiah 9:7).

Ur, Urfa, or Western Himalayas? - Given that the city of Ur is west of the Euphrates, to say this is the birthplace of Abram would be in contradiction to Joshua 24:2 - Y’hoshua said to all the people, This is what Adonai the God of Isra’el says: ‘In antiquity your ancestors lived on the other side of the [Euphrates] River — Terach the father of Avraham and Nachor — and they served other gods'.
I believe it is also important to note that the scriptures assume Euphrates, when in fact it could have been Tigris, which would take a location of Ur or Babylon out of the equation completely, when asking which side of “The River” the ancestors of Abram (Shem onwards) were considered to have lived.
Victor Hamilton, author of The Book of Genesis, Chapters 1-17 provides 7 reasons to support Urfa, to be the "correct" reference to Ur Kasdim, a town that is both east of the Euphrates and 30km from Harran, which I then critique to support my conclusion also (reference below).
  1. The journey would have been incredibly long for a family to take at that time [and traveling through Haran was unnecessary to get to Canaan and added many miles].
  2. There are hundreds of references to the famous Ur in the cuneiform texts, and not once is it called “Ur of the Chaldees.”
  3. The famous “Ur” could not have been called “Ur of the Chaldees” because the Chaldees were an ethnic group that actually lived around where Urfa (Edessa) was, and did not migrate southeast until long after Abraham.
  4. Abraham wanted to get a wife for Isaac, and told him to go to his “country” and the land of his birth and get a wife (Gen. 24:4, 7). Yet the servant did not go to the famous Ur, but went to upper Mesopotamia where Haran and Urfa are (Gen. 24). The woman that became Isaac’s wife was Rebekah, and when she sent her son Jacob to get a wife, she sent him to her family in Haran (Gen. 27:43), not way down southeast to the famous Ur.
  5. A tablet from Ebla refers to “Ur in Haran.”
  6. The expression “Ur of the Chaldees” occurs four times in the Old Testament (Gen. 11:28, 31; 15:7; Neh. 9:7). Each time the Septuagint translates the word “Ur” with a word for land or region, so the translators of the Septuagint connected the Chaldeans with a region, an area.
  7. Some of Abraham’s relatives had names that may be connected with sites in northern Mesopotamia.
Points 2, 3, and 6 all support the idea that Sumerian Ur is not the location of Ur Kasdim or has been mistranslated, and I agree with these as I have also discussed above. Point 5 adds weight that a place called Urfa could have existed, in addition to point 7, which I also do not contest as this supports a location that is not Babylon/Ur.
However, his first point, which is correct in saying travelling to Harran from Sumerian Ur before Canaan would have been illogical, falls apart when he describes an "incredibly long" journey, given he neglects to acknowledge that Terah was 75 years old when he has his sons and dies in Harran when is 205.
To say that Terah could leave Urfa and make a 30km trek to Harran but then die because he could not travel any further neglects the 130 year time period (and distance travelled) that the scriptures provide to state when Abram was born and when Terah dies. This is to then also say that the scriptures, and ironically Hamilton, support a far longer journey from a potential Western Himalayan location for Ur Kasdim/Kasdim-ur.
In his fourth point, Hamilton interprets the scriptures incorrectly when saying Abraham sent his servent to "the land of his birth" to get a wife for Isaac. Genesis 24:4 reads "but that you will go to my homeland, to my kinsmen, to choose a wife for my son Yitz’chak.”
Abraham is referring to his homeland in Harran, which is understandable if we consider he could have spent most of his life at that point at his "father's home" after having left Ur Kasdim. This is to show an error in Hamilton's claim that Urfa is therefore the correct location of Ur Kasdim, whilst still not refuting a potential Western Himalayan location.

What about the camels? - To finally bring a point of reference back to the Western Himalayas. In Genesis 24:10 Then the servant took ten of his master’s camels and all kinds of gifts from his master, got up and went to Aram-Naharayim, to Nachor’s city."
To specify, these were Bactrian camels, a species of camel that originate, as the name suggests, in Bactria, an area adjacent to the Western Himalayas. To support this further I provide an extract from the Biblearcheology website (reference below) that states the following -
"The Hebrew gamal is closely associated with another Semitic form, the Akkadian gammalu. Many Akkadian words have their origins in the Sumerian language, and gammalu is one of the words which contains a Sumerian ancestor in its logograms. Regular usage of Sumerian pre-dates the late views for the domestication of the camel, and it is interesting to note that Sumerian actually has two words for camel, (ANSE.A.AB.BA; ANSE.GAM.MAL), meaning donkey or a$$ of the sea, and donkey or a$$ of the mountains, respectively."
In my next post I will focus on who the Khas people are, how they are connected to Abram and his kinsman, and conclude why God chooses Abram to call out to.

*Edit - Punctuation, wording, and scripture references corrected. Comment about Euphrates added. Terah/Abram age correlation corrected.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateReligion/comments/1btw9w1 Indus script - Wikipedia
Genesis 11, REV Bible and Commentary
The Date of Camel Domestication in the Ancient Near East

GoodAttention

Abrahamic

In my previous post about this topic (link below) I explained how the 4.2ky event scientifically documented as historical could correlate with the Genesis description of a migration of Abraham's forefathers towards the Indus Valley between 2200BC and 1900BC, starting with Peleg "when the Earth was divided".
I then determined that, if the location of Ur Kasdim was indeed in this location, then Ur Kasdim could be a combination of Sumerian, Sanskrit, and Hebrew, a hypothesis that the word itself portrays the movement from Mesopotamia to the Indus Valley by a Semetic people, and describe what would then translate as "The Land of the Khas people". I will add that, while I say Sanskrit, the word itself could be of a different origin, however the point to make is that it is foreign to Hebrew.
The main argument of this post is to discuss why the current consensus that Ur Kasdim is or describes Chaldean Babylon is not supported in the scriptures, with thanks to u/arachnophilia for engaging with me in discussion and providing sources.

Ur Kasdim or Kasdim Ur? - Whilst kasdim occurs 80 times in the the Hebrew texts, the words "Ur Kasdim" occur only 4 times, 3 in Genesis and once in Nehemiah. In all 4 occurrences the word Kasdim follows Ur as מֵא֣וּר כַּשְׂדִּ֗ים.
It is my belief that a more correct translation to English could read Kasdim-ur, by using "ur" as a loan word meaning "land or place of", rather than the place name Ur. I would appreciate any comments from experts in Hebrew to support whether such a reading could be the case.
When looking at a map of the Indian subcontinent, the suffix "ur" is extremely common, with place names stretching from present day Pakistan down along the western coast of India and into northern Sri Lanka. It is known that the Sumerians and Indus Valley Civilisation had trade and potentially linguistic connections, given how the Indus Valley script cuneiform bear some resemblence and relationship with Sumerian cuneiform (reference below).

The Chaldeans/Kasdim - Taking Ur out of consideration, the remaining 76 occurrences of kasdim within the scripture refer to the Chaldeans as a people or Chaldea as a place. The argument put forward for the current understanding is that, since the verses containing kasdim describe a location or connection to Babylon or Babylonians, Ur Kasdim is therefore also Babylon/Ur.
I believe this is the best/worst example of a confirmation bias mixed with anachronism, by neglecting first that the Chaldeans were foreigners in Mesopotamia, and second ignoring the question of where they came from before they we "famous".
I am not disputing kasdim are the Chaldeans, or that the land of the Chaldeans, or Kasdimah, could then be considered "neo-Babylon", as described in the scriptures of Isaiah and Jeremiah, but that it remains separate from Ur Kasdim/Kasdim-ur, the land of Abram's nativity (Genesis 11:28) and the same place that God brings Abram out of (Neremiah 9:7).

Ur, Urfa, or Western Himalayas? - Given that the city of Ur is west of the Euphrates, to say this is the birthplace of Abram would be in contradiction to Joshua 24:2 - Y’hoshua said to all the people, This is what Adonai the God of Isra’el says: ‘In antiquity your ancestors lived on the other side of the [Euphrates] River — Terach the father of Avraham and Nachor — and they served other gods'.
I believe it is also important to note that the scriptures assume Euphrates, when in fact it could have been Tigris, which would take a location of Ur or Babylon out of the equation completely, when asking which side of “The River” the ancestors of Abram (Shem onwards) were considered to have lived.
Victor Hamilton, author of The Book of Genesis, Chapters 1-17 provides 7 reasons to support Urfa, to be the "correct" reference to Ur Kasdim, a town that is both east of the Euphrates and 30km from Harran, which I then critique to support my conclusion also (reference below).
  1. The journey would have been incredibly long for a family to take at that time [and traveling through Haran was unnecessary to get to Canaan and added many miles].
  2. There are hundreds of references to the famous Ur in the cuneiform texts, and not once is it called “Ur of the Chaldees.”
  3. The famous “Ur” could not have been called “Ur of the Chaldees” because the Chaldees were an ethnic group that actually lived around where Urfa (Edessa) was, and did not migrate southeast until long after Abraham.
  4. Abraham wanted to get a wife for Isaac, and told him to go to his “country” and the land of his birth and get a wife (Gen. 24:4, 7). Yet the servant did not go to the famous Ur, but went to upper Mesopotamia where Haran and Urfa are (Gen. 24). The woman that became Isaac’s wife was Rebekah, and when she sent her son Jacob to get a wife, she sent him to her family in Haran (Gen. 27:43), not way down southeast to the famous Ur.
  6. The expression “Ur of the Chaldees” occurs four times in the Old Testament (Gen. 11:28, 31; 15:7; Neh. 9:7). Each time the Septuagint translates the word “Ur” with a word for land or region, so the translators of the Septuagint connected the Chaldeans with a region, an area.
  7. Some of Abraham’s relatives had names that may be connected with sites in northern Mesopotamia.
Points 2, 3, and 6 all support the idea that Sumerian Ur is not the location of Ur Kasdim or has been mistranslated, and I agree with these as I have also discussed above. Point 5 adds weight that a place called Urfa could have existed, in addition to point 7, which I also do not contest as this supports a location that is not Babylon/Ur.
However, his first point, which is correct in saying travelling to Harran from Sumerian Ur before Canaan would have been illogical, falls apart when he describes an "incredibly long" journey, given he neglects to acknowledge that Terah was 75 years old when he has his sons and dies in Harran when is 205.
To say that Terah could leave Urfa and make a 30km trek to Harran but then die because he could not travel any further neglects the 130 year time period (and distance travelled) that the scriptures provide to state when Abram was born and when Terah dies. This is to then also say that the scriptures, and ironically Hamilton, support a far longer journey from a potential Western Himalayan location for Ur Kasdim/Kasdim-ur.
In his fourth point, Hamilton interprets the scriptures incorrectly when saying Abraham sent his servent to "the land of his birth" to get a wife for Isaac. Genesis 24:4 reads "but that you will go to my homeland, to my kinsmen, to choose a wife for my son Yitz’chak.”
Abraham is referring to his homeland in Harran, which is understandable if we consider he could have spent most of his life at that point at his "father's home" after having left Ur Kasdim. This is to show an error in Hamilton's claim that Urfa is therefore the correct location of Ur Kasdim, whilst still not refuting a potential Western Himalayan location.

What about the camels? - To finally bring a point of reference back to the Western Himalayas. In Genesis 24:10 Then the servant took ten of his master’s camels and all kinds of gifts from his master, got up and went to Aram-Naharayim, to Nachor’s city."
To specify, these were Bactrian camels, a species of camel that originate, as the name suggests, in Bactria, an area adjacent to the Western Himalayas. To support this further I provide an extract from the Biblearcheology website (reference below) that states the following -
"The Hebrew gamal is closely associated with another Semitic form, the Akkadian gammalu. Many Akkadian words have their origins in the Sumerian language, and gammalu is one of the words which contains a Sumerian ancestor in its logograms. Regular usage of Sumerian pre-dates the late views for the domestication of the camel, and it is interesting to note that Sumerian actually has two words for camel, (ANSE.A.AB.BA; ANSE.GAM.MAL), meaning donkey or a$$ of the sea, and donkey or a$$ of the mountains, respectively."
In my next post I will focus on who the Khas people are, how they are connected to Abram and his kinsman, and conclude why God chooses Abram to call out to.

*Edit - Punctuation, wording, and scripture references corrected. Comment about Euphrates added. Terah/Abram age correlation corrected.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateReligion/comments/1btw9w1 Indus script - Wikipedia

Yes, those are my words.

I chose my user name here from what was given to me by Reddit.

As you can see my views have evolved with my understanding of the Tamil language and Indus Valley Civilisation.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails

Abrahamic

As far as I understand, your Kasdim has a relation with astrology. And since Hindus are great believers in astrology, therefore it is associated with India.

GoodAttention

As far as I understand, your Kasdim has a relation with astrology. And since Hindus are great believers in astrology, therefore it is associated with India.

I initially thought Kasdim referred to Khas people.

Now, I believe Kasdim means difficulty. This is கஷ்டம், which is a Sankritized word in Tamil.

The word itself is the reason, signifying when the Aryans started to move into the IVC.