• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
:p

If hinduism cannot slove this question, Than either it means hinduism is a incompleate religion/concept, or madhuri doen't know much about hinduism. :)

Hinduism does indeed solve this question. But Hinduism also contains many interpretations of the answer. And therefore the question still remains. Which interpretation is the true one? What is most accurate?

chinu

chinu
Hinduism does indeed solve this question. But Hinduism also contains many interpretations of the answer.
That's right. :)
Which interpretation is the true one? What is most accurate?
And yes the question above is the most challanging question in hinduism. :)

And.. How much madhuri knows about hinduism ? God knows :D

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
As I said there are no specific rules. None of these forms are 'evil' and any are possible. Monogamy for the spiritual person is recommended but it is not considered a sin if you marry more than one. Sin would be if having many wives or husbands were based in lust. Marriage and all manner of life should be based in love. Love is a very strong value in Hinduism. Love is everything in Hinduism.

if 1 wife has 4 husband and its based in love, is it permitted in hindusm? in my religion there is clear rules here, 1 husband permitted marry maximum 4 wives (polygamy), but its prohibited that 1 wife has more than 1 husband.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
if 1 wife has 4 husband and its based in love, is it permitted in hindusm? in my religion there is clear rules here, 1 husband permitted marry maximum 4 wives (polygamy), but its prohibited that 1 wife has more than 1 husband.

There are no rules. Just principles. And use of intelligence. 1 wife with 4 husbands is too much for any woman to handle, I think.
But we have the example of Draupadi who married the 5 Pandava brothers. In her case, she lived for 1 year with 1 brother and then lived with another for a year and the next year moved to the house of another. So she was not pressured by many men at once and there was no confusion about who was fathering her children.

Apart from her, I do not know of any other Hindu historical figure that had multiple husbands. But she was never condemned for this and she was considered very chaste (modest) and a great woman.

But really there are no strict rules in this regard.

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
There are no rules. Just principles. And use of intelligence. 1 wife with 4 husbands is too much for any woman to handle, I think.
But we have the example of Draupadi who married the 5 Pandava brothers. In her case, she lived for 1 year with 1 brother and then lived with another for a year and the next year moved to the house of another. So she was not pressured by many men at once and there was no confusion about who was fathering her children.

Apart from her, I do not know of any other Hindu historical figure that had multiple husbands. But she was never condemned for this and she was considered very chaste (modest) and a great woman.

But really there are no strict rules in this regard.

ya i think it too much, but 2 may be make sense?
draupadi never marry with 2 husband at the same time? in my religion, its also no problem for a woman marry again but after she legally divorce with the first. the same with draupadi case?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
ya i think it too much, but 2 may be make sense?
draupadi never marry with 2 husband at the same time? in my religion, its also no problem for a woman marry again but after she legally divorce with the first. the same with draupadi case?

Draupadi was married at the same time to all 5 husbands. But she only lived with one at a time, never all at the same time. She spend 1 year with one husband and would move into the house of another husband the following year.

I think this is the only reason it was possible for her, as a woman, to have this situation. I think in Islam, the main reason why a woman is married to only one man at a time is because of confusion of who is the father to her children. (correct me if I am wrong). In Draupadi's situation, this was not an issue. And maybe this is why she is the only example in Hinduism of a woman who had multiple husbands.

What seems obvious to me is that having multiple marriage partners is not recommended but it also is not a sin.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Madhuri,

What country exactly do you live in and are you of Indian ethnicity? The reason I ask is because I've been thinking about the differences between hindus who've grown up in the tradition in a society that sees hindu practices as a cultural norm versus someone who converts to hinduism in a culture that, as you said in the OP, is pretty clueless about hinduism. I am non-Indian and live in the mid-west of the United States and am a follower of hindu thought.

What do you exactly do as your spiritual practice? Meditate? repeat mantras? have a shrine? go to a shrine? pujas? go to pujas? , seva alone? seva as a group? etc. etc..

Also as you go about your normal non-religious daily activities what is your mindset? How do you try to advance spiritually during daily activities.

I know your OP was more about hinduism in general than Madhuri in particular but when I ask the questions above in general then I just get told about how diverse practices can be. I'm hoping in my internet wanderings to hear a collection of specific examples.

Other hindus feel free to chime in too.

Thanks,

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
Draupadi was married at the same time to all 5 husbands. But she only lived with one at a time, never all at the same time. She spend 1 year with one husband and would move into the house of another husband the following year.

I think this is the only reason it was possible for her, as a woman, to have this situation. I think in Islam, the main reason why a woman is married to only one man at a time is because of confusion of who is the father to her children. (correct me if I am wrong). In Draupadi's situation, this was not an issue. And maybe this is why she is the only example in Hinduism of a woman who had multiple husbands.

What seems obvious to me is that having multiple marriage partners is not recommended but it also is not a sin.

nothing problem, you're right madhuri, having more than 1 husband makes confusion who is the father, and many reason why its prohibited in islam. such as the leader in family should be the husband, its impossible to have 2 leader.
what about in hindu, is there any rule about the leader ( in family or other organization)? in my religion, there is a verse in quran mention that the leader should be man. "man become the leader of women" (quran : an nisa).
what about in taking a bath or tooth brushing a day? is there any rule?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
nothing problem, you're right madhuri, having more than 1 husband makes confusion who is the father, and many reason why its prohibited in islam. such as the leader in family should be the husband, its impossible to have 2 leader.
what about in hindu, is there any rule about the leader ( in family or other organization)? in my religion, there is a verse in quran mention that the leader should be man. "man become the leader of women" (quran : an nisa).
what about in taking a bath or tooth brushing a day? is there any rule?

I do not think that men are labeled as the leader specifically but I do think it is clear in Hinduism that men have the leadership roles. There are always exceptions. There are not black and white rules. So in some cases, women can and have been leaders. On a spiritual level, male and female are completely equal. On a material level, it depends on the context. But I think in this case, Hinduism is similar to Islam.

Tooth brushing is not mentioned as far as I know but being clean is very important. Hindus take multiple (often 3) baths every day. It is not a sin to be clean or dirty, but it is encouraged to be clean to keep a clear and spiritual mind. Being physically clean helps to be mentally clean and also generally healthy.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Madhuri,

What country exactly do you live in and are you of Indian ethnicity? The reason I ask is because I've been thinking about the differences between hindus who've grown up in the tradition in a society that sees hindu practices as a cultural norm versus someone who converts to hinduism in a culture that, as you said in the OP, is pretty clueless about hinduism. I am non-Indian and live in the mid-west of the United States and am a follower of hindu thought.

What do you exactly do as your spiritual practice? Meditate? repeat mantras? have a shrine? go to a shrine? pujas? go to pujas? , seva alone? seva as a group? etc. etc..

Also as you go about your normal non-religious daily activities what is your mindset? How do you try to advance spiritually during daily activities.

I know your OP was more about hinduism in general than Madhuri in particular but when I ask the questions above in general then I just get told about how diverse practices can be. I'm hoping in my internet wanderings to hear a collection of specific examples.

Other hindus feel free to chime in too.

Thanks,

Hi George, thanks for the questions!
I am Australian and of European decent. I was born into Hinduism because my parents converted to it before they even met. I grew up with a mix of normal Aussie culture and Indian culture through my religion. I'm definitely some sort of weird *cough* I mean awesome hybrid :p

But as I've grown up in a particular Hindu tradition, I'm still very much learning about the other philosophical schools and exploring my particular beliefs.

I grew up with a range of spiritual practice. As a family we always went to the temple a lot and that is something I have stopped doing for years until now (just getting back into it). Performing temple rituals, singing, praying and listening to recitals and lectures from scripture have been the major aspect of my spiritual life and at home privately, chanting mantras on japa beads. I was also initiated and so have my gayatri mantras.

We still have our own deities, and a meditation room, but due to lack of success I've been really slack with actually practicing meditation. It's something I keep meaning to get into because I acknowledge its power and importance.

On a day to day basis I probably only integrate religious beliefs in a moral sense. I treat people and view the world through an Eastern spiritual lens. I guess I try to learn as much as possible from my experiences and become a better person as a result. I feel that this is actually very important in Hinduism.

So, what about you? How do you practice your spirituality and how does it affect your day to day life? What brought you to eastern religion?

Shuddhasattva

Probably. Although as far back as time goes it seems that the men had the leadership roles. With some minor exceptions.

Namaste

As far back as time goes... where? There's evidence for matriarchal and more gender neutral societies far back, in many places, including India.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Namaste

As far back as time goes... where? There's evidence for matriarchal and more gender neutral societies far back, in many places, including India.

I mean when we look at the scriptures, the stories/histories detailed. Kingdoms ruled by men, religious rituals (Brahmins) always men etc.

Shuddhasattva

I mean when we look at the scriptures, the stories/histories detailed. Kingdoms ruled by men, religious rituals (Brahmins) always men etc.

Namaste

Yes... This is part of what I think is a corruption. Even most shakta texts are written by men, with men in mind.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Madhuri,

What kind of Hindu would I be if I consider the core of my spiritual language to be Buddhist,
But I don't have any beef with the Vedas?

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
Is there anything you are confused about, think is weird, are unsure of or are just plain curious about Hinduism? How do Hindu concepts compare with the other main world religions?

I find that people are generally clueless about Hinduism.

Most importantly, I'm bored. So please ask me questions about Hinduism. It may even challenge me! :D

Pardon me if you have already covered this, but, I recently read that an argument could be made that Hinduism is a monotheistic religion? That is, amongst Hinduism's pantheon of gods and goddesses, are each of them simply manifestions of one single God?

Having been raised as a Christian, I see some similarities to the Christian Holy Trinity (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Could you comment?

Thanks!

Last edited: