• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ask Madhuri a Question about Hinduism

sumaidi

ashabul yamin
in my religion, tooth brushing / gargling or also clearly mentioned in our scripture. every muslim should pray ( sholat) 5 times a day and night. before the pray ( sholat) they should make sure that they are clean, their body, the place and wear. to make it clean they should follow the instruction ( the way to make clean / holy for body, wear and place) in hadith. so its no way for a muslim to have a tooth with holes or decay, if they really become a good muslim.
oya madhuri, no longer all muslim will have fasting ( about next week), is there any rule in hindu about fasting?

Parsifal

Hi, Madhuri. You sure have provided some stimulating and informative answers to a lot of interesting questions!

I went through the whole thread but didn't see anything about bhakti. Has this played any significant role in your life and practice? If so, perhaps you could explain a little of what it means, both personally and in terms of the Hindu teachings. Thanks much!

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
Pardon me if you have already covered this, but, I recently read that an argument could be made that Hinduism is a monotheistic religion? That is, amongst Hinduism's pantheon of gods and goddesses, are each of them simply manifestions of one single God?

Having been raised as a Christian, I see some similarities to the Christian Holy Trinity (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Could you comment?

Thanks!

Just bumping my earlier question...
Thanks

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Madhuri,

What kind of Hindu would I be if I consider the core of my spiritual language to be Buddhist,
But I don't have any beef with the Vedas?

You would be a Buddhist who recognises the authority of the Vedas. You know, since Buddhists are Hindus :D

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Pardon me if you have already covered this, but, I recently read that an argument could be made that Hinduism is a monotheistic religion? That is, amongst Hinduism's pantheon of gods and goddesses, are each of them simply manifestions of one single God?

Having been raised as a Christian, I see some similarities to the Christian Holy Trinity (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). Could you comment?

Thanks!

Yes, it most certainly is monotheistic. But it's also a very different monotheism to mainstream Christianity and Islam, for example. In Hinduism, only God exists and all things (inc you and me) exist in the 'body' of God.

The gods are not direct manifestations of the One God. They represent aspects of his power just as we do. Like the god of fire or god of the ocean. They have very minor functions. There are also gods like god of sun, god of moon etc. but again they are only manifestations of particular energies of God.

So yes, there is only One God but all things are part of Him.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
in my religion, tooth brushing / gargling or also clearly mentioned in our scripture. every muslim should pray ( sholat) 5 times a day and night. before the pray ( sholat) they should make sure that they are clean, their body, the place and wear. to make it clean they should follow the instruction ( the way to make clean / holy for body, wear and place) in hadith. so its no way for a muslim to have a tooth with holes or decay, if they really become a good muslim.
oya madhuri, no longer all muslim will have fasting ( about next week), is there any rule in hindu about fasting?

Like most things in Hinduism, rather than rules we have recommendations. So yes, there are many fasting days for Hindus all through the year.

Ayurveda is the Hindu source for health and medicine. I think that neem twigs are recommended for teeth cleaning.

Last edited:

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi, Madhuri. You sure have provided some stimulating and informative answers to a lot of interesting questions!

I went through the whole thread but didn't see anything about bhakti. Has this played any significant role in your life and practice? If so, perhaps you could explain a little of what it means, both personally and in terms of the Hindu teachings. Thanks much!

I'm glad you have enjoyed reading the thread!

Bhakti has played a major role in my life. I grew up with Bhakti philosophy and practice so from a very young age I have experienced a significant love for Krishna and my ethos in life is all about expanding my love potential to the whole world.

Bhakti is about devotion and surrender unto the Supreme. As God represents not only the Creator, he/she/it also represents all that is created. While some people follow a path of knowledge or meditation to realise this reality, bhakti devotees realise through the experience of unity. As God is love and love is unity (our connection with the Whole) then if we gradually come to have love for God it is the same as having love for All.

All paths are ultimately equal and valid in terms of reaching Realisation. The other paths will lead to Bhakti naturally as the experience of unity arrives through knowledge or perception just as Bhakti devotees come to knowledge and perception through their devotion. The end of the many paths is always the same.

Bhakti suits me personally, maybe because I was brought up in it, and maybe because it fits right with my personality or on a deeper soul level. But I feel that knowledge and experience of Bhakti has been a great contributing factor to making me a good and loving person (not modest though :p).

I hope that was an ok explanation.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Just today I finished reading "Autobiography Of A Yoga" by Yogananda Do many Hindus strive for self-realization? And in layman terms what is your take on Sanataan Dharma?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Just today I finished reading "Autobiography Of A Yoga" by Yogananda Do many Hindus strive for self-realization? And in layman terms what is your take on Sanataan Dharma?

I think only a few really make an effort toward Realisation. That's why for most, it takes so very many lifetimes to get to that stage. Even those of us who have the beliefs keep our practice to a superficial level by following rules and practicing rituals but our mind wanders and we focus a lot on the mundane without taking time to understand the meanings of all that we do spiritually.

I think we find this in all religions. Someone might follow rules because they don't want to go to hell but they have a very shallow understanding or connection with Jesus or Allah or Krishna etc.

But that is the nature of Maya and this material existence. We are torn between the desires to experience material nature and the need to overcome them and go beyond. This is where suffering comes into the picture, though I won't get into it now. But through suffering (which comes from karma) we realise this place is not so great and begin to see its illusory and temporary nature and strive for the higher.

Sanatan Dharma literally means Eternal Law. But it can be very difficult to define. I think, put simply, it is the search or journey toward realising Truth. Many believe this path to be contained to Vedic religions, since that is where the concept comes from. But many also consider all paths in life to be part of SD as all experiences are part of the journey to Realisation.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I agree. it seems most adherents of all faiths seldom look at the deeper meanings of the teachings of their religions. Good answer, thanks.

Parsifal

I hope that was an ok explanation.

Way beyond OK! :D

While some people follow a path of knowledge or meditation to realise this reality, bhakti devotees realise through the experience of unity.

This relates to chapter 12 of the Gita, right? I'd say that's one of the best explanations of it.

All paths are ultimately equal and valid in terms of reaching Realisation. The other paths will lead to Bhakti naturally as the experience of unity arrives through knowledge or perception just as Bhakti devotees come to knowledge and perception through their devotion.

This is a very insightful observation, and my own experience bears it out. I've been following a somewhat haphazard & piecemeal path of direct realization of the Imperishable/Unmanifested/Transcendent (re translations of Gita 12:1). After many years (decades, actually) it's been flowering pretty well lately, and sure enough there have been what I can only call spectacular experiences rooted in bhakti. It's a humbling experience, because I had always been averse to surrendering myself to anyone or anything.

We still have our own deities, and a meditation room, but due to lack of success I've been really slack with actually practicing meditation.

Maybe you could use a shot of Shaktipat! :162: Have you ever had that?

Yes, it most certainly is monotheistic. But it's also a very different monotheism to mainstream Christianity and Islam, for example.

I don't characterize Hinduism as monotheistic myself, though your qualifying statement clarifies your own belief on the matter. I recall an article in Hinduism Today a couple of years ago in which a leading Satguru refuted the claim that Hinduism is polytheistic, but he didn't go so far as to say that it's therefore monotheistic. I think that the whole concept of monotheism vs. polytheism is thoroughly Western, with its strong dualistic bias.

In Hinduism, only God exists and all things (inc you and me) exist in the 'body' of God. . . . As God represents not only the Creator, he/she/it also represents all that is created.

These two statements you made separately in the thread show me that your perspective on this weighty subject is self-consistent and deep, even though it may diverge on some points from my own. But that's the whole beauty of Hindu philosophy!

There are different methods of meditation. I'd recommend Kriya Yoga.

I've been doing Kriya Yoga for about 18 years. It's a version taught by one of the many spin-offs of Yogananda's Fellowship.

It comes back to meditation. You can learn to transfer or use sexual energy to facilitate meditation. It's actually very powerful.

I've been doing this even longer than Kriya (though not as continuously), and can attest to its potency, especially when used in conjunction with other practices. But I should reiterate that it has taken a long time.

Now here's a fresh new question for you. I have a Gita with a great commentary by a scholar named S. Radhakrishnan. He makes a lot of enlightening statements about Īśvara, who seems to be the supra-personal aspect of the Supreme Godhead, an all-pervading cosmic awareness. However, my understanding is far from complete, so I wonder if you have any thoughts on Īśvara, and what might be his/her/its relationship to Krishna?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
This is a very insightful observation, and my own experience bears it out. I've been following a somewhat haphazard & piecemeal path of direct realization of the Imperishable/Unmanifested/Transcendent (re translations of Gita 12:1). After many years (decades, actually) it's been flowering pretty well lately, and sure enough there have been what I can only call spectacular experiences rooted in bhakti. It's a humbling experience, because I had always been averse to surrendering myself to anyone or anything.

That's awesome, and I totally agree about it being a humbling experience. I think that love/devotion brings about humility in a very natural way. And it can be so very powerful. I think we humans only rarely experience those moments of 'love', for example when someone we like happens to like us back, and somehow the feeling of joy we experience is so great that all our problems seem to melt away and life is wonderful etc etc.

My experience with Bhakti is that I have a similar experience, but the feeling is so overpowering and long lasting and makes life so very tolerable. It's why I feel that Bhakti is very important and can truly bring us to a transcendental level- ie/ transcend our material issues! Love is so divine :D

Maybe you could use a shot of Shaktipat! :162: Have you ever had that?

Actually I don't know what it is :(
Enlighten me :)

I don't characterize Hinduism as monotheistic myself, though your qualifying statement clarifies your own belief on the matter. I recall an article in Hinduism Today a couple of years ago in which a leading Satguru refuted the claim that Hinduism is polytheistic, but he didn't go so far as to say that it's therefore monotheistic. I think that the whole concept of monotheism vs. polytheism is thoroughly Western, with its strong dualistic bias.

I actually agree with you. It's confusing sometimes being a Western Hindu and being influenced by all these different concepts. I say monotheistic because there is only 1 God. But if I am to be completely specific, I see Hinduism (well, the scriptures) as being panentheistic.

These two statements you made separately in the thread show me that your perspective on this weighty subject is self-consistent and deep, even though it may diverge on some points from my own. But that's the whole beauty of Hindu philosophy!

I'd love to know more about your beliefs on this subject :)

I've been doing Kriya Yoga for about 18 years. It's a version taught by one of the many spin-offs of Yogananda's Fellowship.

That's where I know it from. Out of curiosity, how do you think it differs from Kundalini Yoga?

I've been doing this even longer than Kriya (though not as continuously), and can attest to its potency, especially when used in conjunction with other practices. But I should reiterate that it has taken a long time.

I bet it has taken a long time. That seems to be the nature of spiritual growth. Nothing comes too easily. It's great to have you say that you have experience in this. Most people don't seem to practice it.

Now here's a fresh new question for you. I have a Gita with a great commentary by a scholar named S. Radhakrishnan. He makes a lot of enlightening statements about Īśvara, who seems to be the supra-personal aspect of the Supreme Godhead, an all-pervading cosmic awareness. However, my understanding is far from complete, so I wonder if you have any thoughts on Īśvara, and what might be his/her/its relationship to Krishna?

In the traditions that place Krishna as God, Krishna IS Ishvara. Ishvara is basically the same as saying 'God'. This means Krishna is Creator and Source of all things, the Original, the eternal, the beginning, middle and end. He is in control of all things, all powerful and all-knowing. I grew up with the Achintya Bheda Abheda philosophy. My understanding is that Ishvara is the original and complete form of Godhead, where the Brahman is part of that Godhead. This is opposed to schools of though that place Brahman as origin and supreme and where the forms or avatars come from Brahman. This seems to be the general belief of Krishna devotees.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
You would be a Buddhist who recognises the authority of the Vedas. You know, since Buddhists are Hindus :D

Of course :D

Is there a sect that is very close to Buddhism?
What is the scene like when there are the two faiths mixed, like in Nepal?

Shuddhasattva

Of course :D

Is there a sect that is very close to Buddhism?
What is the scene like when there are the two faiths mixed, like in Nepal?

Namaste Madhuri-ji

With your permission, i would like to field this question (not that you shouldn't also) because I have an insider perspective here:

1. I am initiated into both Hindu and Buddhist dharmas.
2. My guru's root guru was based in Nepal, where my guru studied.
3. I am currently in Nepal, and have some knowledge of the mixing of Buddhism and Hinduism here.

That is, if you would like to have a response from me on this too SageTree - I shouldn't presume that that is the case.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Namaste Madhuri-ji

With your permission, i would like to field this question (not that you shouldn't also) because I have an insider perspective here:

1. I am initiated into both Hindu and Buddhist dharmas.
2. My guru's root guru was based in Nepal, where my guru studied.
3. I am currently in Nepal, and have some knowledge of the mixing of Buddhism and Hinduism here.

That is, if you would like to have a response from me on this too SageTree - I shouldn't presume that that is the case.

It's not my thread, so my opinion isn't so valid I guess,
But, I'm okay with you answering since you have some personal perspective on the matter.

If you feel sharing here is beneficial to folks to read, if allowed, please post here for others to learn from. If you want to just PM me, that is okay too.... If you want to do both..... well.... you get the point. :help:

:namaste

Parsifal

My experience with Bhakti is that I have a similar experience, but the feeling is so overpowering and long lasting and makes life so very tolerable.

Wow, it's a joy for me to hear that! Sounds like your spiritual life is rolling along just fine overall, even if your meditation praxis is a tad sluggish at the moment. Maybe you don't need that shot of Shaktipat after all.

Actually I don't know what it is :(
Enlighten me :)

Here's the first line of the Wikipedia rendering: *Shaktipat or Saktipata (Sanskrit, from sakti - "(psychic) energy" - and pata, "to fall") refers in Hinduism to the conferring of spiritual "energy" upon one person by another. Shaktipat can be transmitted with a sacred word or mantra, or by a look, thought or touch. . . .*

As you might guess, that just scratches the surface. Highly developed acaryas & gurus have the power & mastery to confer this blessing, in many ways, shapes, & forms. Likewise it can have many different effects, depending on which chakra or plexus gets the infusion. I've heard tales of Mātā Amritānandamayī, or Amma ("Mother", or no doubt "Mama" to many) who's known as the "hugging guru". Hundreds of people will fill a hall and listen as she gives a brief lecture, then they all line up and she hugs each and every one of them in turn. They all float away on cloud nine, because every hug is a big, whopping dollop of Shaktipat.

Then there's Shivapat, which only top-of-the-line Satgurus can deliver, but that's best left for a future post.

I'm glad we cleared up the semantic layer re monotheism & polytheism & such. Now for the perils of the deeper reaches! I have to pause here, but will return shortly and get into it. Keep smilin' until then. . . . :bounce

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm, well... first off, hello there, Madhuri. :D

This is probably going to be a cliche question, or at least one that's been asked before; please bear with me if it is:

How important is learning Sanskrit to being a Hindu, if at all? Is it necessary to know at least some Sanskrit syntax and/or vocabulary?

The main reason I'm asking this is that the writing systems of both Sanskrit and Hindi look beautiful to me, but I don't think they seem easy to learn by any means either.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm, well... first off, hello there, Madhuri. :D

This is probably going to be a cliche question, or at least one that's been asked before; please bear with me if it is:

How important is learning Sanskrit to being a Hindu, if at all? Is it necessary to know at least some Sanskrit syntax and/or vocabulary?

The main reason I'm asking this is that the writing systems of both Sanskrit and Hindi look beautiful to me, but I don't think they seem easy to learn by any means either.

Hello :D

I don't think it's important to learn the languages.
There are mantras that we learn and chant. It's important to understand the meaning of those mantras. But that really doesn't take much time or effort to learn.

Knowing and understanding Sanskrit would be amazing, but it isn't a must.

Good question btw.