• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aspirations

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That is a very limited view. In some cases, saying yes to yourself and telling yourself to go a head is being in control.
Saying yes is the acknowledgement that this is your life, your life alone, and it should be lived as you deem fit, not as others would desire.

If you are not able to walk away.....you are not in control.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
If you are not able to walk away.....you are not in control.
Again, that is a very limited view.
Once I started to tell myself yes, I have greatly improved myself and have taken strides towards self-actualization.
If I kept telling myself no, I wouldn't have improved myself, I'd still be very miserable, and I probably would have lost the will to live by now.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Again, that is a very limited view.
Once I started to tell myself yes, I have greatly improved myself and have taken strides towards self-actualization.
If I kept telling myself no, I wouldn't have improved myself, I'd still be very miserable, and I probably would have lost the will to live by now.

Question......are you given to the flesh?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I heard it somewhere.....creation comes when you learn to say.....'no'.

I understand.
How about you?
Apparently, you missed that "no" was not good for me, but that "yes" is what gave me a new life, and has sustained my desire to live.
For me, "no" was a depressive state of self-destruction, bad habits (criminal, in some cases), and aimlessly wondering through life without any goals, hopes, or future.
"Yes" has made things so much better.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Apparently, you missed that "no" was not good for me, but that "yes" is what gave me a new life, and has sustained my desire to live.
For me, "no" was a depressive state of self-destruction, bad habits (criminal, in some cases), and aimlessly wondering through life without any goals, hopes, or future.
"Yes" has made things so much better.

Granted....your positive approach seems to suit you.

it's just that I am looking forward to a scheme of things that will need personal restraint.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
It would seem to me that basing something on personal restraint means that; first you do not trust yourself and second you do not understand your self. So to me it would be time better spent learning to understand yourself.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
It would seem to me that basing something on personal restraint means that; first you do not trust yourself and second you do not understand your self. So to me it would be time better spent learning to understand yourself.

I was thinking more to....Someone Greater being able to trust me.
If I can't say no to myself....then the power of creation would be risky in my hand.

So I do the personal denial first....then step up to greater things.

you may not have heard the news report.....
a two year old found his mother's gun....and shot her.

Power in the wrong hands would be what?....chaos?

Or maybe you have seen that old Twilight Zone episode with Billy Mumy in the lead role?

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I was thinking more to....Someone Greater being able to trust me.
If I can't say no to myself....then the power of creation would be risky in my hand.

So I do the personal denial first....then step up to greater things.

you may not have heard the news report.....
a two year old found his mother's gun....and shot her.

Power in the wrong hands would be what?....chaos?

Or maybe you have seen that old Twilight Zone episode with Billy Mumy in the lead role?

To me, saying no to yourself and trust are not the same thing and if one is denying ones self could that not also impede that step up to greater things

And I'm not sure your denial first... than step to greater things has anything to do with the 2 year old, although I have seen the result of similar things in my days working in a hospital.

And power in the wrong hands in not always going to be Chaos, and who is to say whose hands are wrong and whose are right.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I believe we are defined by our ability to say ...no....to ourselves.
Self denial impedes the pending effort.
without self denial, the unbridled heart is fickle.

I say, the spirit forms with each occasion....you decide what to partake of....what to leave alone.

What level of denial is your greatest aspiration?
Denying any belief and assumption without prior reasoned examination.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I suspect the next life is a matter of greater discipline.

Here in this world most pursue, whatever they can get their hands on.
the more the merrier.

For example...
Do you have the discretion to say ...no....to a willing virgin?
That would depend on whether there is sufficient reasoning or any reason at all to turn down the opportunity. There is nothing inherently wrong with having sex with a virgin who is a consenting adult.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
That would depend on whether there is sufficient reasoning or any reason at all to turn down the opportunity. There is nothing inherently wrong with having sex with a virgin who is a consenting adult.

I never said it was wrong.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Self denial goes a lot deeper than self gratification denied.

...creation comes when you learn to say....no....
so I've heard.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
To me, saying no to yourself and trust are not the same thing and if one is denying ones self could that not also impede that step up to greater things

And I'm not sure your denial first... than step to greater things has anything to do with the 2 year old, although I have seen the result of similar things in my days working in a hospital.

And power in the wrong hands in not always going to be Chaos, and who is to say whose hands are wrong and whose are right.

You're asking WHO?

I then send you to the Almighty.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Self denial goes a lot deeper than self gratification denied.

...creation comes when you learn to say....no....
so I've heard.
Why would I want to deprive myself of something amazing and enjoyable? Why would God not want me to experience all that the life he created for me has to offer, as long as it's healthy?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Why would I want to deprive myself of something amazing and enjoyable? Why would God not want me to experience all that the life he created for me has to offer, as long as it's healthy?

Lots of things are healthy.

and the Carpenter wandered forty days and nights and was hungered.....
and the devil said....If you be the Son of God.....turn this stone into bread.

Nay.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Lots of things are healthy.

and the Carpenter wandered forty days and nights and was hungered.....
and the devil said....If you be the Son of God.....turn this stone into bread.

Nay.
How does refusing a request from the Devil have anything to do with this conversation? I feel like you speak in riddles sometimes. Can you please try to be a bit more clear with your comments?

Blastcat

I believe we are defined by our ability to say ...no....to ourselves.
Self denial impedes the pending effort.
without self denial, the unbridled heart is fickle.

I say, the spirit forms with each occasion....you decide what to partake of....what to leave alone.

What level of denial is your greatest aspiration?

Saying NO takes no imagination.
What really COUNTS in life is what we say YES to.

Self-denial is easy and accomplishes NOTHING.
Self-creation is difficult and accomplishes great things.

What do I aspire to?

Certainly NOT to deny the world, but to embrace it.
Some people live for death.

I choose to live for life.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
How does refusing a request from the Devil have anything to do with this conversation? I feel like you speak in riddles sometimes. Can you please try to be a bit more clear with your comments?

The greater your ability to self deny....the more likely you can be trusted with greater things.

use creation to feed yourself?.....and the Carpenter said .....nay.

Seems then self denial might be a discipline even into death.

and there in a paradox.....denying death.