• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aspirations

Thief

Rogue Theologian
OH COME ON PUDDING.. thief is so plain... it's SO obvious.

He says...

you can't HAND creation. Of course, this means that creations are from the feet.

Next, he says something SO simple.. how can you MISS the truthiness?

Creation is given to his own desire. What did you THINK theif means.. given to his own recording studio?

No.. Creation is GIVEN not taken from his OWN not his OWNED because you can't OWN a desire but you can OWN your creative desires that are GIVEN to you as a FOOT massage.

See?

So simple.

Next, he says something SO SIMPLE that I am SHOCKED that even the likes OF YOU can't understand.

All creativity desires must be controlled by foot massages in recording studios.

ARE YOU NEW HERE?

in spite of it's length ...this technique is soooooo obviously......poor.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
You can't hand creation to someone given to his own desire.
ALL desire must be controlled.

I don't see being in control of your desires necessarily self denial. I want to be in control. That's my desire so I'm not self denying anything.

So when you initially spoke of self denial maybe that's not really the right term? Maybe self control?

Lacking attachments allows better self control. I'm supporting what I desire, not denying myself something I want.

For you, I think, I'm assuming, you're looking for a heavenly reward. You act in a manner you feel is necessary to achieve what you desire. You're not denying yourself, you are supporting yourself through your actions.

Blastcat

I don't see being in control of your desires necessarily self denial. I want to be in control. That's my desire so I'm not self denying anything.

So when you initially spoke of self denial maybe that's not really the right term? Maybe self control?

Lacking attachments allows better self control. I'm supporting what I desire, not denying myself something I want.

For you, I think, I'm assuming, you're looking for a heavenly reward. You act in a manner you feel is necessary to achieve what you desire. You're not denying yourself, you are supporting yourself through your actions.

Thief's idea of self-indulgence is called self-denial.
I agree with you.. having a DESIRE to deny himself, he indulges himself in it.

And SOMETIMES, it's good to not be so completely in control of things and better to LET GO... Give it a break, rest, let other take charge.. just BE .. control is over-rated.

I think people who NEED to control others might want to talk about control what we allow ourselves, and what we should DENY ourselves.

It's one a very small step from getting people to agree that they MUST deny themselves to telling WHAT they should or shouldnt deny themselves.

Self-styled GURUS love to tell people what and what not to do.

Yes, he is NOT denying his goal.. whatever THAT is... ( completely unstated ) by DENYING himself ( we don't know what he is denying himself, completely unstated again )

It's easy to say "deep" sounding things..
Talk is cheap.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I think it's rather DELUSIONAL to think that inanimate objects can "control" anyone. I suspect you mean something else.

I've seen it in other folks, so I disagree.

Ok, we agree. Let's not over attach.
Let's attach reasonably and responsibly.

Attachment does not mean OVER ATTACHMENT.
OVER anything isn't particularity good.

Maybe that's your concern?
Maybe you don't want to be OVER attached.

But it's one thing to allow yourself to be attached and another thing to allow yourself to be attached in a way that is NOT good for anyone, including ourselves.

There ARE healthy attachment styles available.
We can have a FLEXIBLE attachment style.

ATTACH REAL HARD when it's good, AND LET GO REAL FAST when it's NOT so good.
How's that?

We agree there can be a bad side to this.

Ok, I'm quite affectionate towards my brand new Samsung Smart TV... Not as affectionate as I am towards my two daughters.. but hey.. close enough. I like and I have fondness for my new SAMSUNG BRAND Smart TV.

SO what?
Am I wrong?

My wife is attached to money. It's causing unnecessary problems in her relationship with our children. You just mention money and she gets angry. It's like she can't help herself. I think that is wrong to let something like money control your emotions and I'd suspect you might see this kind of attachment is wrong as well.

No book, watch TV.
NO book or TV.. write a book.

What's your point?

THIEF'S point is that we SHOULD deny ourselves.
I say NO and ask WHY.

You don't want to deny yourself.
HE DOES.

So, I ask for his reasons. So far.. he gives none.
That's MY point.

Probably because it's not self-denial. That maybe just kind of a romantic or poetic way of looking at doing what you actually want to do.

I

Blastcat

I've seen it in other folks, so I disagree.

Please explain how an inanimate object can "control" someone.

Say... My TV..
Or a rock.
Or a flower.

I don't see how an inanimate object with no BRAIN can "control" anyone.
Maybe you MEAN the very opposite. that PEOPLE with BRAINS can control inanimate objects.

"We agree there can be a bad side to this."

Yes, OVER attachment is unhealthy as is MOST things that are overly indulged in. EVEN pretending to be a guru on the internet as some people are prone to do.

"My wife is attached to money. It's causing unnecessary problems in her relationship with our children."

Well, then she has an OVER attachment.. she is OVER doing it. ..
It's like enjoying a drink.. if she doesn't OVER DO IT....then that's fine. BUT if her drinking causes unnecessary problems in her FAMILY.. she is "OVER DRINKING"

Let's say she is allergic to alcohol and even a drop could affect her family .. THEN for her, that DROP is OVER DRINKING.

But OVER DOING something to excess and DOING SOMETHING in a mature, healthy, happy way aren't the SAME.

Thief isn't talking about OVER DOING something, he wants us to DENY ourselves DOING something.

DOING and OVER DOING aren't the same.
You can drive you car responsibly, or drive like a maniac.

We can have HEALTHY attachments and UNHEALTHY attachments.

Unhealthy attachment models are UNHEALTHY.. and those DO happen.
HOWEVER

That does NOT say that we cannot form healthy, adult, wise and happy attachments.

Thief might want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but I suggest that this is NOT a good plan.

"I think that is wrong to let something like money control your emotions and I'd suspect you might see this kind of attachment is wrong as well."

Well, don't go over-board with your analogies.
It's NOT a good idea to anthropomorphize money.

Money isn't a person with a brain with plans of controlling people. Money isn't plotting to control us during the night. and your wife isn't resisting this plot and you are..

No, what HAPPENING here.. is that your wife has trouble dealing with money. She might need help with that. Sounds like an emotional reaction. Perhaps fear.

Your turn of phrase.. "MONEY CONTROLS" .. should NOT be taken literally.
It's not helpful to be using sloppy language when dealing with emotionally charged problems.

I suggest you seek experts in the fields.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Please explain how an inanimate object can "control" someone.

Say... My TV..
Or a rock.
Or a flower.

I don't see how an inanimate object with no BRAIN can "control" anyone.
Maybe you MEAN the very opposite. that PEOPLE with BRAINS can control inanimate objects.

Here is a link to some information on this with links to the psychological issue which can be caused.

Materialism: a system that eats us from the inside out | George Monbiot | Comment is free | The Guardian

Yes, OVER attachment is unhealthy as is MOST things that are overly indulged in. EVEN pretending to be a guru on the internet as some people are prone to do.

Well, then she has an OVER attachment.. she is OVER doing it. ..
It's like enjoying a drink.. if she doesn't OVER DO IT....then that's fine. BUT if her drinking causes unnecessary problems in her FAMILY.. she is "OVER DRINKING"

Let's say she is allergic to alcohol and even a drop could affect her family .. THEN for her, that DROP is OVER DRINKING.

But OVER DOING something to excess and DOING SOMETHING in a mature, healthy, happy way aren't the SAME.

Agreed, I never said you particularly doing was wrong.

Thief isn't talking about OVER DOING something, he wants us to DENY ourselves DOING something.

DOING and OVER DOING aren't the same.
You can drive you car responsibly, or drive like a maniac.

We can have HEALTHY attachments and UNHEALTHY attachments.

Unhealthy attachment models are UNHEALTHY.. and those DO happen.
HOWEVER

That does NOT say that we cannot form healthy, adult, wise and happy attachments.

Thief might want to throw out the baby with the bathwater, but I suggest that this is NOT a good plan.

In order to make sure he gets his reward. Maybe he feels going overboard is a necessary insurance. Someone can be overly attached to an idea as well.

Well, don't go over-board with your analogies.
It's NOT a good idea to anthropomorphize money.

Money isn't a person with a brain with plans of controlling people. Money isn't plotting to control us during the night. and your wife isn't resisting this plot and you are..

No, what HAPPENING here.. is that your wife has trouble dealing with money. She might need help with that. Sounds like an emotional reaction. Perhaps fear.

Your turn of phrase.. "MONEY CONTROLS" .. should NOT be taken literally.
It's not helpful to be using sloppy language when dealing with emotionally charged problems.

I suggest you seek experts in the fields.

Ok, people allow objects to control them. And it's anger she feels when the subject comes up. Yes, I would be happy if she sought professional help but she doesn't see it as being necessary.

For me, detachment and meditation work well. However these are things she is not interested in, especially since she doesn't see it as a problem.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Oh no.. I expect no argument in here.. fruitcakes?

All kinds of fruitcakes, Monty.

Would you prefer Shakespearian insults, I'm good with those..... but then I am quite certain you are not worth the time junior

Blastcat

I would have MUCH preferred the Shakespeare.

But thanks for calling me Jr.
I feel all too old these days.

( I guess the Monty Python's Argument Clinic Skit parody I wast trying to make went .. unappreciated? )

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I would have MUCH preferred the Shakespeare.

But thanks for calling me Jr.
I feel all too old these days.

( I guess the Monty Python's Argument Clinic Skit parody I wast trying to make went .. unappreciated? )

My apologies...now...Go, ye giddy goose

Thief

Rogue Theologian

ok....a kink in the word phrasing...
I think we are close to the same notion.

but if what you want has side ffects....

Blastcat

ok....a kink in the word phrasing...
I think we are close to the same notion.

but if what you want has side ffects....

But if you deny yourself has side effects......

WHY Is denying yourself a good thing?
You seem to think so.

You forgot to mention why.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
But if you deny yourself has side effects......

WHY Is denying yourself a good thing?
You seem to think so.

You forgot to mention why.

I thought it was obvious....
Control your wants.
If your wanting is in the lead....creation will never be yours.

Blastcat

I thought it was obvious....
Control your wants.
If your wanting is in the lead....creation will never be yours.

If my WANTING ( wanting what.. creation? ) is in the LEAD... CREATION ( it's what I want, here, right? ) will never be mine.

First off, I'd love to know where you got that from. How do you know that if I want something ( anything at all.. I guess ) I wont get creation?

Two things that aren't obvious to me that I'd love you to clarify:

1. What do you mean by creation?
2. Can you explain how my wanting something would prevent me from getting something.